"ultra-violent video games" blamed for stabbing

Kitt Frostpaws

Link is here, just going to point out that Dark Souls II and GTA V aren't really "ultra-violent" when you have things like manhunter and the like.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2615694/Loner-schoolboy-murder-suspect-enjoyed-ultra-violent-video-games.html

EDIT:

One thing I would like to point out is how they mention the assailant has previously reported that he was supposedly being bullied, they also make note that he had been having in-out bouts of depression and several other factors that are quite seroius.. My question is; Where were the support workers? The teachers getting involved in the "bullying" incidents? Why wasn't he seeing anybody for the bouts of depression?

They are just looking for someone to blame, it's the way of the world: Blame the person to the left.

True however it still doesn't excuse the fact that this had happened and there is blatant evidence that someone had lost their life becuase of someone elses incompetance. 

I'm rather irked about the Achievement Hunter Shirt seems to be one of the images that's being attached to the article and is being used as part of the explanation. I quite enjoy AH in the occasional dosage, but it just seems to be stabbing at anything and everything to get the most views for the article, they are just trying to get a reaction from groups of people like us.

I'm rather irked about the Achievement Hunter Shirt seems to be one of the images that's being attached to the article and is being used as part of the explanation. I quite enjoy AH in the occasional dosage, but it just seems to be stabbing at anything and everything to get the most views for the article, they are just trying to get a reaction from groups of people like us.

I suppose you're right, but I'd still like to hear someone answer for why this guy was lacking in the assistance he clearly needed.

Offtopic:

Why does your title now say (sober) at the start?

Well I'd say the reason he got no support workers were because of his age, 15 year olds are often very over dramatic and over emotional. It is hormonal imbalance at that age and no amount of therapy would have changed that. Honestly it is just a tragedy. It is not a game or a movie or music or any of that. We all went through that and I don't really think for most teenagers it is good to be branded psychologically unstable by an educational institution, especially since your personality is not set yet, it is still adapting.

Hell I used to work at a medical center and the people who are really depressed or suicidal just don't even mention it. This one guy went for a smoke and jumped from a bridge in front of an oncoming train down below. Or another guy who asked for my pen and then started stabbing his own wrists wanting to die. Suicidal people don't generally attack other people..

As for the article itself, it is clearly not written by someone with any hint of intellect.

"He added: ‘He came to a party a few weeks ago and he took some paracetamol beforehand. He used to take drugs all the time.’ "

OH NO NOT PARACETAMOL!!! Anything but this evil no-prescription-needed non-addictive headache remedy.

I would also like to say The Daily Mail is a bit of a laughing stock of a news source, when it comes to quality they're not exactly top notch. Regarding assistance, I think there's still too little information that's been made available to really say whether the kid had gotten support or not. The article is too one sided, that really we can't really comment on this until more information surfaces.

RE: Title

You'll have to do some investigation to find out. :P

Link is here, just going to point out that Dark Souls II and GTA V aren't really "ultra-violent" when you have things like manhunter and the like.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2615694/Loner-schoolboy-murder-suspect-enjoyed-ultra-violent-video-games.html

EDIT:

One thing I would like to point out is how they mention the assailant has previously reported that he was supposedly being bullied, they also make note that he had been having in-out bouts of depression and several other factors that are quite seroius.. My question is; Where were the support workers? The teachers getting involved in the "bullying" incidents? Why wasn't he seeing anybody for the bouts of depression?

Germany here

We has Studies thats make clear that not brutal games make people violent.

Games that frustrate Gamer to often make them violent because many people with an phychic problem play very often games that make them very frustrated.

When the cant make good choices in real life and in private not in an game too.

the explode in an rage.

the game can be anything here like flappy bird or some other shit.

But society need something that is cheep to blame it for.

no one want to understand the boy in the society eyes there is no problem with the world only he has an problem.

Whilst I believe that video games don't cause people to stab teachers to death I do believe that they can help shy people become even more introverted and prone to toxic anger syndrome and other mental conditions usually based on loneliness and an inability to connect with people.

To be fair this can be considered of any artistic medium such as violent books, violent films, violent comics, violent friggin wood carvings - it doesnt matter what art form the problem is people turning in on themselves and acting it out through whatever floats their boat. 

Im just glad that kid didnt have a bag of pipebombs and an assault rifle.

Whilst I believe that video games don't cause people to stab teachers to death I do believe that they can help shy people become even more introverted and prone to toxic anger syndrome and other mental conditions usually based on loneliness and an inability to connect with people.

I very much doubt that. I'm a shy person and I know several shy people. Our mutual love of video games helps us connect with the people around us who also love video games.

But I like being a shy introvert. :cry:

Thank God I'm not the only one. My mother won't stop worrying, though ;)

Aye, my father always did hold it against me, my lack  of social circle. :razz:

I only had a few friends as a kid growing up. I was friendly with a lot of people at school but I could count on half a hand the number of people I regularly hung out with outside school.

^^ Sure some games do. All the games I saw mentioned however seemed very 1 player games to me. Don't get me wrong here, Jack Thompson is an ambulance chasing arsehole but I believe that ANY art form can be used to make people into psychos. All art is the product of someone's mind and art can be made to serve a purpose in which case it becomes propaganda. Its usually the purpose of making money but sometimes not and sometimes the unintended consequence can be to deaden peoples senses to suffering and pain.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Keepbro, most of my friends I talk to and 'hang-out' (if you would want to call joking around on a bunch of games that) are in-fact over games and online.. Wont deny I used to have quite the anger management issue, but that's in resolve.

The son of a local TD (politician for you non-Irish folk) was stabbed by his brother few days ago over a FIFA game. 18 and 16 years old, respectively. They were arguing between each while playing it, and since its a footy game, its not hard to imagine what sort of argument it might've been.

I personally do not believe that video games are the source of such violent outbursts, which is what the media would like you to think. I do believe it can have an affect on some people with inherent mental issues and underlying personality issues, to some degree. I don't believe video games and other mediums are the catalyst for such things, I believe the catalyst is in fact the person themselves. The fact that they were playing/have played a game in the past is irrelevant.

Unfortunately the media will continue to misdiagnose the root of the problem and will continue to do so in the near future.

^^ Sure some games do. All the games I saw mentioned however seemed very 1 player games to me.

You kidding me? My friends and I were huge fans of Final Fantasy growing up and we'd spend hours upon hours upon freaking hours talking about them, even though they're singleplayer only. We'd talk about the story. About the game mechanics. About which bosses were the hardest and which were most fun. Just because a game is singleplayer doesn't mean it can't be used to connect with the people around you.

Don't get me wrong here, Jack Thompson is an ambulance chasing arsehole but I believe that ANY art form can be used to make people into psychos. All art is the product of someone's mind and art can be made to serve a purpose in which case it becomes propaganda. Its usually the purpose of making money but sometimes not and sometimes the unintended consequence can be to deaden peoples senses to suffering and pain.

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more with this even if I tried. Video games and art forms don't "deaden peoples senses to suffering and pain". There is a huge disconnect between seeing something happen on a screen and seeing it happen in real life. There's a difference between gunning down enemy players in Call of Duty and actually doing it in real life.

Most people just aren't capable of an eighth of the things news media outlets would have you believe. The ones that do end up on the news for committing violent acts are the deranged or mentally disturbed. You know, people already predisposed towards violent acts though the news tends to overlook or under emphasize that fact because LOL VIDEOGAMINGZ R TEH EVIL HURDEHUR give us your rating money!

Archived