These not so scary zombies.

Kidlonewolf

I have been playing Project Zomboid since the continued smothering of bald spot's wife. When i first started playing zombies were a bit intimidating at first but after a few hours i would be fighting off hordes. Several updates later the new combat system came into play and i though this would bring me a scare or two but hasn't. I haven't been worried or afraid to enter a house or building with more than three zombies in it. I just fight them off simply enough and grab the loot and leave. I never get bit or scratched unless i am on multiplayer and alt tab quick or get hit while typing in chat. I am pretty good at the game but that can't be a reason for the game to be easy or at the least not scary, right? Is anyone else having the same or similar experience as me? Start off looking for bags and an axe, then once you have those you pick a safe house and just loot till you have enough supplies to fortify it way more than really necessary. Once you have your non-impenetrable safe house you either start leveling all your skills or just loot till you own everything. Then you just save/quit and never load that save again. I never really play till i die, i just play till i get to the point where anything else would just be a waste of time. If zombies were a bit scary just a bit this wouldn't happen like this, you would be made to rush out of places like alarmed houses. What do you do to keep things scary or challenging, besides taking all the negative traits to gimp yourself or giving them super strength/speed?

I hate to say it, but maybe should play Dark Souls 1/2 to complete your ,,Hardcoreness" XD. Maybe you should try to ,,feel" the game. Its about the ONE moment, you survived 1 month, have a shotgun, THEN the Horde comes after you, you hide in a one-way-out house and you desperately seeking a solution for the ,,problem".

What do you do? Will you give up? Will you fight? Will you try to escape? These are questions, which makes the game so good, because nobody knows if you going to survive. You should try that, really. I had the same problem as you but then i began to to that from what i telled you about.(Sorry for my bad english I am from Germany XD)

I hate to say it, but maybe should play Dark Souls 1/2 to complete your ,,Hardcoreness" XD. Maybe you should try to ,,feel" the game. Its about the ONE moment, you survived 1 month, have a shotgun, THEN the Horde comes after you, you hide in a one-way-out house and you desperately seeking a solution for the ,,problem".

What do you do? Will you give up? Will you fight? Will you try to escape? These are questions, which makes the game so good, because nobody knows if you going to survive. You should try that, really. I had the same problem as you but then i began to to that from what i telled you about.(Sorry for my bad english I am from Germany XD)

I do play them both, but thanks for the nice selection. Also i LOVE this game and CAN'T wait for the npcs. I just find it hard to not just run in and kill them all without worrying that i might get injured. Because like i said normally in single play i don't..  I just don't know how people keep that since of scare? Like i watch lots of streamers play this game who freak out and run like forest gump when a few zombies pop out, that's what i want from this game again. I'm not complaining about Project Zomboid, i'm asking what keeps the scare/freak out aspect of the zombies?

Once you get good at this game you are much less likely to die.  I don't think that is unique to PZ; lots of games are that way.  Once they add zombie migration and NPCs, the game should significantly change.  However, play enough and it will get easy. 

Sandbox is a nice addition to make things harder.  Other than that, if you are not having fun maybe it is time for a new game.  Put away PZ for a few months.  I have not played with any regularity since February as I am looking for major changes (NPCs and/or migration) before I really spend a lot of time playing again. 

P.S. I am not complaining about PZ.  They really have captured what I like in a game.  I just need some new challenges and I am eagerly watching and waiting for updates.

We all must remember that zombie's only beat us with sheer volume, need the group's of zombie to be in the number of 500+.

I think when there is a noise there should be a 5% for a horde to spawn in the near vicinity. 

Everybody love's a horde maybe, Set pieces So like a horde moving down the highway by the warehouse and spiffo road.

I think zombie should be grouped more in my IMHO

We all must remember that zombie's only beat us with sheer volume, need the group's of zombie to be in the number of 500+.

I think when there is a noise there should be a 5% for a horde to spawn in the near vicinity. 

Everybody love's a horde maybe, Set pieces So like a horde moving down the highway by the warehouse and spiffo road.

I think zombie should be grouped more in my IMHO

I agree, not really about the spawning hordes like that (their choice from migrating from the edges of the map is fine) but I agree with them being grouped more. The current times they're grouped they're sort of in an orderly line which makes it too easy to just bypass them a couple of meters to either side, instead the should be in a group but surrounding you from most corners to make you risk sometimes.

Imagine if there was a horde coming to your safehouse, but they were all in a line, all you really have to do is go out the other way. They should be surrounding your house from most corners meaning a horde should be halved and the other half coming from the other direction so you're forced to head in only one direction which could lead to the demise of your character/group. 

I *think it's as simple as them spawning zombies from the edges of the map, having them migrate through noise (and NPCs) and making them surround your corners for the most part. :D

*Think doesn't necessarily mean that it is easy.

I feel you man. The first two times I played this game I couldn't survive more than 30 RL minutes. But ever since, I can live for months(in-game) and I don't even get scratched. It's the main reason I've not played for some months. Just waiting for something new so I can do some crazy stuff cuz it's always the same :(

I feel you man. The first two times I played this game I couldn't survive more than 30 RL minutes. But ever since, I can live for months(in-game) and I don't even get scratched. It's the main reason I've not played for some months. Just waiting for something new so I can do some crazy stuff cuz it's always the same :(

I don't understand why, after near 2 years and 5k zeds killed, i still so rewarding finding those damn canned beans...

Yeah the game gets boring after the first few days, it NEEDS zombie migration seriously IMHO, It just bores me for hours and hours to play it because there is no challenge whatsoever, once you get a place sheeted or apply a few planks and whack the knocking zombs it is a piece of cake. It is not even a gradual decline or anything, the game gets easier the longer you survive, think of any MP server after just a few hours. Everyone has like ten pistols and there are no zombies left. Same thing goes for SP, I can generally clean out the entire Dixies trailer park or most of Northern MD without much effort on my lonesome, much less without the use of a bunch of hardcore bro's.

Now of course I understand that as you get better in a game it is supposed to be easier (gameplay-wise) but this is not the case for game difficulty, which is supposed to gradually ramp up along with your own skill level as a player.
But currently as soon as you get all your basic gear together the game stays more or less the same except for gradual depletion of zombies and loss of excitement.

In fact the game gets so boring after a while that I tend to just rampage after the first few hours of it. The zombies are under powered, it is easy as hell to build a safe place, just like it is easy as hell to just walk straight into a hoard and keep walking out of it without running one step.

Granted the game will probably see to this problem in time, I just think it is the most pressing thing at the moment. I have lost quite a few tester buddies because they say the game is too easy or too boring. We all hope it will change but it won't for quite some time by the looks of it. MP especially suffers because it is with other people that the zombies become the most laughably easy. To the point where you wonder how-come the military does not just send two guys with rifles to kill all the zombies.

I sincerely hope it will change soon to add some fear and excitement to zombie encounters, there should be panic and clausterphobia, but it is like you can avoid them by briskly walking. Just indefinitely walking. Not even slowing from exhaustion even after days and days.

I know this is kinda a rant but geez I have been sitting on it for months. It really puts a stop on me playing to be honest. The game just isn't... fun. Not after time anyway. This needs to change because PZ is a great and immersive experience. It just loses stamina after a few days in-game. I am tired of feeling safe behind one plank or behind a single sheet. I don't really feel like even children would struggle to survive in the PZ universe lol.

All things said it is still a great game and still is wonderful... as long as there are zombies and things to do...

I am a coward. Plain and simple. So every time a zed pops in when I run in a room and I hear that loud string instrument noise, I flip my shit.

That noise when you acquire a skill point... I literally jump in my seat every time it happens unexpectedly. That or when you are minding your own business in your safehouse and you get that first loud thunder. Those are the two things that scare me the most in this game. Then there is being 3 stories high, that just gets your heart racing, no real "jump" scare.

I am a coward. Plain and simple. So every time a zed pops in when I run in a room and I hear that loud string instrument noise, I flip my shit.

That noise when you acquire a skill point... I literally jump in my seat every time it happens unexpectedly. That or when you are minding your own business in your safehouse and you get that first loud thunder. Those are the two things that scare me the most in this game. Then there is being 3 stories high, that just gets your heart racing, no real "jump" scare.

The worst is when you're playing older versions, like 2.0.0q, and you go to sleep, only to wake up to the entire horde literally surrounding your house. You just hear a mass of moans and groans, and proceed to empty your bowels.

The worst is when you're playing older versions, like 2.0.0q, and you go to sleep, only to wake up to the entire horde literally surrounding your house. You just hear a mass of moans and groans, and proceed to empty your bowels.

This is why I cannot wait for the Sadistic Director. I shall build mounds with the zombie bodies!

This is why I cannot wait for the Sadistic Director. I shall build mounds with the zombie bodies!

STACK WALLS HIGH WITH THE CORPSES OF YOUR ENEMIES.

persian+wall.jpg

persian+wall.jpg

Now only if someone modded it so you could hide in piles of zombies and they wouldn't notice you. That and added spartan weapons. Game mode: Spartans vs. Zombie Apocalypse!

Maybe I'll try and make it a thing in the summer... :cool:  Wow, long quote guys? hehe

I do play them both, but thanks for the nice selection. Also i LOVE this game and CAN'T wait for the npcs. I just find it hard to not just run in and kill them all without worrying that i might get injured. Because like i said normally in single play i don't..  I just don't know how people keep that since of scare? Like i watch lots of streamers play this game who freak out and run like forest gump when a few zombies pop out, that's what i want from this game again. I'm not complaining about Project Zomboid, i'm asking what keeps the scare/freak out aspect of the zombies?

You know, SOMEHOW the streamers must bring the audience to laugh. And everybody loves pusses ;)

I have been playing Project Zomboid since the continued smothering of bald spot's wife. When i first started playing zombies were a bit intimidating at first but after a few hours i would be fighting off hordes. Several updates later the new combat system came into play and i though this would bring me a scare or two but hasn't. I haven't been worried or afraid to enter a house or building with more than three zombies in it. I just fight them off simply enough and grab the loot and leave. I never get bit or scratched unless i am on multiplayer and alt tab quick or get hit while typing in chat. I am pretty good at the game but that can't be a reason for the game to be easy or at the least not scary, right? Is anyone else having the same or similar experience as me? Start off looking for bags and an axe, then once you have those you pick a safe house and just loot till you have enough supplies to fortify it way more than really necessary. Once you have your non-impenetrable safe house you either start leveling all your skills or just loot till you own everything. Then you just save/quit and never load that save again. I never really play till i die, i just play till i get to the point where anything else would just be a waste of time. If zombies were a bit scary just a bit this wouldn't happen like this, you would be made to rush out of places like alarmed houses. What do you do to keep things scary or challenging, besides taking all the negative traits to gimp yourself or giving them super strength/speed?

I agree 100%. I blame the combat system brah. It's a good idea, But hitting a zombie down and bashing his brains in 10 times gets old. Fighting needs to have depth, Because if every fight is the exact same, it becomes stale real quick, Zombies need to have more options other then just fall over after every power swing, I wish they could knock you over and climb ontop of you, Or maybe they could make it so the zombies don't fall over as much, and missing a swing has more consaquences. To me zombies are just not a threat, And I agree with you about the save flies, Once I find a place to stay, lots of food, I don't feel threatened at all anymore. And I'll end up never playing again.

I agree 100%. I blame the combat system brah. It's a good idea, But hitting a zombie down and bashing his brains in 10 times gets old. Fighting needs to have depth, Because if every fight is the exact same, it becomes stale real quick, Zombies need to have more options other then just fall over after every power swing, I wish they could knock you over and climb ontop of you, Or maybe they could make it so the zombies don't fall over as much, and missing a swing has more consaquences. To me zombies are just not a threat, And I agree with you about the save flies, Once I find a place to stay, lots of food, I don't feel threatened at all anymore. And I'll end up never playing again.

Do you play with your zombies down?! I swear I keep their strength and all that normal in sandbox and my zombies barely ever fall over.

Do you play with your zombies down?! I swear I keep their strength and all that normal in sandbox and my zombies barely ever fall over.

Yes they do for me 90% of the time. Think of it this way, when I'm being chased by 5-10 zombies, I'm not running away because i'm afraid I'll die, I'm running from a long tedious boring fight. Which really destroys the mood for me.

I guess everyone plays/sees the game differently. I know personally that when I push a zombie (with the strength trait) it doesn't always get pushed back, letting other zombies get on me. This one failed attempt means I have a greatly increased chance of being scratched or bit; which would cause my death most likely. I also know that when I attack zombies, about 25%-35% of the time one will fall down, but normally it won't be the only one attacking me (play with zombies on high/insane depending) so I can't finish it, meaning that it will get up and attack, or become a crawler. I don't know if it is your settings or what.