Pickles/Pickling

Crotchfire

I've been thinking how nice it would be to have a craftable, non-perishable food so I could finally let my potato farm go fallow for a time, and so my suggestion is two-tiered: a still for fermenting (you could ferment potatoes into vodka, for instance), which you could then RE-ferment into vinegar, which would then allow you to make pickled foods in jars.

So the process would be: you'd craft a still which could allow you to ferment a potato and some water into vodka, and then you could put the vodka back into the still to get vinegar.  After that, you could use the vinegar + some food that can be pickled (tomatoes, carrots, radishes, herring...) + 1 empty glass jar.

The nice thing about this option is it's wouldn't make things game-breakingly easy.  The process as described is already pretty resource intensive and leaning toward late game, even more so if you made the still something that requires a reasonably high carpentry skill.  Plus, glass jars are heavy enough that it's not super easy to just collect 30 jars on a single outing away from your base, and a jar of pickles would be heavier, so it wouldn't exactly be super convenient to carry so many jars of pickles with you for a prolonged outing.  But, despite the difficulties and inconveniences involved in making your pickles, it would be a super rewarding thing to be able to craft a non-perishable food.

Yeah, admittedly, if you're going to add a still for making alcohols/vinegars, it probably does make sense to add a corresponding brewing skill.  Making firebomb-grade 190+ proof alcohol should be craftable by a very experience brewer.