More ways to attract zed's attention.

ComboBreaker

*Edited post since I overcomplicated explanation*

Lets tweak shouting mechanic : the longer you hold Q - the louder your shout will be. You can tap Q for a quiter shout to attract attention of zeds in close proximity. (handy to check if there are zeds behind the locked door or to safely get attention of some zeds without attracting a huge horde nearby)

This mechanic would represent time that character needs to get some air for a louder shout.

Also having a knocking mechanic to check houses or let survivors inside know that someone nonshambling is at the door would be an interesting thing. Same deal as above - holding Q makes your knocking louder.

Here's another post of traps and distractions you could read if you want :)http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/185-the-ultimate-thread-of-traps-and-distractions/

You see, these are distractions that make use some kind of items, what Im talking about is a natural way to get zombie's attention - using your voice, albeit having a choice to do so loudly or quietly.

Here's another post of traps and distractions you could read if you want :)http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/185-the-ultimate-thread-of-traps-and-distractions/

You see, these are distractions that make use some kind of items, what Im talking about is a natural way to get zombie's attention - using your voice, albeit having a choice to do so loudly or quietly.

So you mean like breaking a bottle or throwing a brick like in The Last of Us? If I am getting this right if you wanted to do a quiet option it could make zombies a few feet away go to the sound. And if you do it loud the farther zombies will head to it?

I think he just wants different shout levels. Like quiet, normal, loud.

If thats the case, i think it's a terrible idea. Waste of time, and it would be very ambiguous for any new players

If thats the case, i think it's a terrible idea. Waste of time, and it would be very ambiguous for any new players

I... Don't see how this is the case. At all. Having different volumes of shout could be prove useful in different circumstances and I sincerely doubt it'd be that confusing or be that difficult to implement.

I think that making character's shout louder the longer you press Q is not unintuitive. It would also make shouting look more realistic, since you have to take a deep breath before shouting loud.

I think that making character's shout louder the longer you press Q is not unintuitive. It would also make shouting look more realistic, since you have to take a deep breath before shouting loud.

I can already see people abusing this, get close to a horde, do a small shout, pull 2-3 zombies  out of the group. whack them. rinse and repeat.

The shout right now works almost perfect in the way its meant to be. And it's really left to imagination however loud the character is shouting a "Hey!" could be as loud as you want to imagine it. How much do zombies respond to voice stimulation, is also up to you.  

EDIT: Maybe Local chat could attract some zombies.

I can already see people abusing this, get close to a horde, do a small shout, pull 2-3 zombies  out of the group. whack them. rinse and repeat.

The shout right now works almost perfect in the way its meant to be. And it's really left to imagination however loud the character is shouting a "Hey!" could be as loud as you want to imagine it. How much do zombies respond to voice stimulation, is also up to you.  

You can already walk up to zombies and pull 2-3 zombies? How would that be abusing it?

You can already walk up to zombies and pull 2-3 zombies? How would that be abusing it?

Is this some more of that Sarcasm you like to use? 

I don't understand are you in support or against this thread?

Is this some more of that Sarcasm you like to use? 

I don't understand are you in support or against this thread?

I'm for it. No reason that people in real life couldn't shout at different volumes.

I was being completely serious about my above question, also. I normally take down a horde in series of 5 zombies at a time. I don't see why this would be an abuse of a quiet shout?

Well, as of this moment having mechanic like this would make clearing areas from hordes easier - but as booner352 already said, you can already do something similar by running for a short time while beeing far from horde's center.

Also could we discuss if we need knocking in the game or this is totally unnecessary thing? My thinking is that shout - Q would be muffled by door a bit , while knocking will surely let you know if there are zombies inside of a house. To make it simple character automatically knocks instead of shouting when you press Q near a closed door. Neat to check for zeds or let survivors inside know that human is at the doorstep.

So..?

So if you want to knock on the barricaded door to let NPCs inside know that you've arrived back to your homeplace you'd have to damage door if we leave things as they are right now. Just an example. Anyone knows if sounds indoors are muffled by walls and such right now?

Anyone knows if sounds indoors are muffled by walls and such right now?

I hear those Zeds moaning outside the house like they're sitting inside my ear. So - no, i don't think that sounds are muffled in any way at the moment.

I watched some of that.. Wth does that relate to this post?

ps. bull fighting is not what it used be anymore. now they trim the bulls horns. people don't have as big as risk of dying. I'm not saying I'm supporting either deaths or bull fighting. But I do support A fair battle. 

The bull always dies now, because they have soo much more against them. 

I watched some of that.. Wth does that relate to this post?

ps. bull fighting is not what it used be anymore. now they trim the bulls horns. people don't have as big as risk of dying. I'm not saying I'm supporting either deaths or bull fighting. But I do support A fair battle. 

The bull always dies now, because they have soo much more against them. 

Well, i thought of the bull as a zombie.

PS - In Portugal the bull's dont get killed.

So the shouting and the dancing did not work.. are you suggesting we use a red cape to lure zombies against the player?

I did not know about Portugal's ethics of bull fighting. I may read more on it later.

LOL! I just wanted to stress out that the topic is kind of silly as the "Hey you!" form or hiting something is quite enough to get a Zed's attention. On that note i posted this as a jester because it would too be quite ridiculous to use on a Zed.

OT: Yea, Portugal's bull fighting has always been more of a sport for nobles where the fighter is mounted. The standard footed cape form usually recognized around the world is only practiced as a side-show between acts. So much so, that famous bull fighters (e.g. Pedrito) have to go to Spain to get real gigs. One way or another, driving a sword through a bull's spine if quite hard mounted and i guess aristocracy didn't much like doing it.

Today, the form of "Toiros de morte" translated to killing the bull is prohibited by law and is only allowed in a small village glued to Spain's border because of cultural and historic heritage.