The Fishing System

RobertJohnson

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/ as you will notice, it is primarily in west point, though dreadwood has a small pond and bedford falls has some lakes and a river

Thanks sfy,

I will have to start again in West Point (or the community ones then). Muldraugh seems bone dry. Hopefully the maps get ratified to contain water, or there would be little point to the fishing mechanic.

Maybe a couple of different types of fishing rod?

From a basic home made branch, string and hook to one maybe found in a sports or hardware store.

Two pre made types like a basic rod and reel then maybe an advanced or pro rod and reel which may have a better chance of catching fish and could catch bigger fish.

And possibly a fly fishing rod and reel utilising different coloured thread for flies meaning different, better and/or bigger fish.

Of course different and bigger fish would have to be added as well.

Oops, i'm about to try fishing. Oh and drinking while fishing :P Just found a rod and tackle. I thought there was only one rod.

Excellent work.

Edit: And I haven't made it out of Muldraugh yet. Maybe soon.

• 5 months later...

My experience was that the traps are VERY rare to find, and if you try to make them, the materials you need are also very rare, so you won't get many traps in your lifetime. Then, each trap for me caught about one fish each before they broke. So fishing traps are good for maybe five fish in your lifetime. This seems too low to me.

• 6 months later...

I was liviing by a lake for about a month and there's no fish anymore... Is it a bug or did they make limited fish resourses for lake?

it is indeed possible to overfish an area. best thing to do now is move to an area that you have not over fished.

in time the old spot will recover and have fish again

Being a fisherman myself and from the midwest, so far I am liking how the fishing system is setup. I wonder though how you said it could be easy to mod more fish in or something - Being that this is based in the USA, is it possible that the weight/size of the various fish could be put in inches. If not, could this be easily modded or make it a gameplay option for us to chose what type of system do we want in place: Metric or Imperial?

Well it is set in Kentucky, so yeah it should be using the American ways. Even if it is all backwards from the rest of the world. As an American I still like metric better. It just makes more sense. In short even though I like metric better I think for the continuity of the game and its setting it should be US/Imperial.

• 1 month later...

Eh, I remember having difficulty with it when I was a kid. I'm going with someone needing a bit of instruction to not be a big deal

you would eventually repair the line, but with more waste of material. maybe a recipe with double of the materials for people with no instruction is the answer

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I just made an account purely to chime in about replacing fishing line. Sure, it's a little bit of a mess to do if you have no idea what you're doing, but you're an adult and it's NOT something that you would have to literally read a manual to learn. In both a realism sense and a gameplay sense, requiring a manual to be read simply to replace line (this happens even if you run out, not only if your line breaks, from what I can tell) is just silly.

I do agree with manuals being there to actually learn recipes, of course. Such as building fishing rods and nets. But simply replacing fishing line is not a recipe. That really needs to be changed in my opinion.

Maybe they could have it so if you don't read the book and try to replace the line there's a 50% chance it fails and you lose some line?

Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Or even that it just always takes more line if you don't know what you're doing, and if you read a book (eh) or have higher fishing skill, you use less because you know what you're doing and there's less/no waste.