Craft food storage and ovens

Cykodelik

So I love the new cooking system and I really like how it can keep your spirits up. There's a bit of a problem though; When the power goes out most of the cooking becomes unavailable because meats go off too quickly and building a campfire is far too dangerous (one slip of the keyboard and you're on fire)

To fix this you can always sandbox and make sure the power never goes off but that kind of ruins the immersion.

I'm proposing simple craftable items. 

1) Wood fueled BBQ/Oven. Use concrete or metal parts and the carpentry skill to create a BBQ that functions using wood as fuel but doesn't set the surroundings on fire. OR apply something to an existing oven that turns it into a wood burning oven that can make you sick when near it (smoke everywhere)

2) Insulated pits or rooms that make items cold. Dig a hole and insulate with clothes and then make airtight with garbage bags/ duct tape and then craft a thick wooden lid to keep it deeper underground. This would work as a shoddy fridge. Basically keep food insulated and away from light and you increase it's life expectancy (air tight is always good too)  

Has this been suggested before?

What about moving Fridges? :) I mean at Spiffos there so many fridges, you could put it in your Inventory ( the weight is like 40 etc.) ORRRRR you/developers/some noobie-coder make an animation for taking the fridge and running out with it :)

What about moving Fridges? :) I mean at Spiffos there so many fridges, you could put it in your Inventory ( the weight is like 40 etc.) ORRRRR you/developers/some noobie-coder make an animation for taking the fridge and running out with it :)

ROFTL

You clearly didn't see mosquito coast. A great movie with a crazy Harrison Ford.

Check it out and you will find out why i'm laughing. :)

So I love the new cooking system and I really like how it can keep your spirits up. There's a bit of a problem though; When the power goes out most of the cooking becomes unavailable because meats go off too quickly and building a campfire is far too dangerous (one slip of the keyboard and you're on fire)

To fix this you can always sandbox and make sure the power never goes off but that kind of ruins the immersion.

I'm proposing simple craftable items. 

1) Wood fueled BBQ/Oven. Use concrete or metal parts and the carpentry skill to create a BBQ that functions using wood as fuel but doesn't set the surroundings on fire. OR apply something to an existing oven that turns it into a wood burning oven that can make you sick when near it (smoke everywhere)

2) Insulated pits or rooms that make items cold. Dig a hole and insulate with clothes and then make airtight with garbage bags/ duct tape and then craft a thick wooden lid to keep it deeper underground. This would work as a shoddy fridge. Basically keep food insulated and away from light and you increase it's life expectancy (air tight is always good too)  

Has this been suggested before?

I made a TL:DR post a little while ago (http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7790-lots-o-stuff/) about some sort of craftable oven, along with a craftable chimney (that could be extended through each floor).

I was just thinking about storage earlier today, as I remembered something from a while ago where egyptians used a pot-in-pot storage system. The space between the big clay/ceramic pot and smaller clay/ceramic pot would be either filled with sand or water, which would act as an additional insulator. Something like this would be easily doable in a post-apocalyptic zombie world.

am5efr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A fitting way to implement an earth fridge would be using the following items:

• Shovel
  • Barrel of a washing machine (+Screwdriver)
  • Sand for insulation (heat)
  • Wooden Planks as lid (+nails/hammer)
  • Plastic Bags for insulation against cold (winter)

Dig a hole, add sand, put in the barrel, add sand around it, cut out the planks and use some nails to make the lid, tear up plastic bag and add it to the lid to add insulation against frost and done.

This vs actual fridge:

• Lower volume
  • (Maybe) Not as effective
  • Gets a chance to be infested (critters: rats, mice) if not checked regulary

I mean or a root caller, it's really just a hole in the ground the size if a small room, fill it with straw and boom food lasts way longer than it would in the open air. Maybe once snow is part of the game you could collect it , pack it into sand bags and line your root feller with it then cover that with straw, it keeps the hard packed snow from melting for months and will make a root cellar like 50 all the way through summer.

A fitting way to implement an earth fridge would be using the following items:

• Shovel
  • Barrel of a washing machine (+Screwdriver)
  • Sand for insulation (heat)
  • Wooden Planks as lid (+nails/hammer)
  • Plastic Bags for insulation against cold (winter)

*snip*

this would be nice. what about fish in a barrel? fish stored in a large rain catcher?

also there are wood stoves dotted around the map. mostly in farm houses, cabins and such. problem is at the moment these stop working when the power goes out. could they be changed so they actually run on wood?