FORUM TEST RELEASE: Project Zomboid - Version 2.9.9.11

RobertJohnson

You could install a basic filter on the top section of the barrel, a layer of gravel and a layer of charcoal underneath that. Boil the water afterwards, should be alright to drink.

Hmm... How exactly does one make charcoal, anyway? I know it's burnt wood, but is there an exact process? And would it be possible to use regular deposits of coal? I know that the area of Kentucky I live in has pretty large deposits of it just jutting out of the ground in places.

In other news. if you don't have time or the necessary equipment to boil large quantities pf water, you could always add bleach. A full jug of the stuff would purify enough fresh drinking water for a fair while. A teaspoon of bleach is good for cleansing five whole gallons of water. A teaspoon. Five gallons.

The coming update looks really really great, but there is one point, which disturbs me.

[CARPENTRY] Rain Collector Barrel ! (need 4 planks and 4 nails)

I like the idea of collecting water with containers, but never in history of the mankind a barrel was built with nails.

You need staves, barrel-hoops and a high carpentry level.

ES-MO-09-086.jpg

The coming update looks really really great, but there is one point, which disturbs me.

I like the idea of collecting water with containers, but never in history of the mankind a barrel was built with nails.

ES-MO-09-086.jpg

Yeah. Let's introduce staves and barrel hoops for the pure purpose of rain barrels and nothing else ever.

ES-MO-09-086.jpg

Why it's always you who broke all the fun ? :(

Already talked about this with Mash, we're gonna wait a bit before expend the carpentry stuff, for now imagine it's a square barrel I don't know... :D

I'm just trying to prevent that Project Zomboid falls on the level of Minecraft. :-D

If you mean having hundreds and thousands of mods, and a gigantic fan base.. well I do not see the problem.

Hehe just joking, I know what you mean.

Oh and..

pewdiepie-human-barrels.png

I'm just trying to prevent that Project Zomboid falls on the level of Minecraft. :-D

I get what you mean. I think there is a limit to how realistic (and thus incredibly tedious) a gameplay mechanic should get for sake of realism, though.

Of course, you are right. There is always a limit of how realistic gameplay mechanics are, so that they don't destroy the fun.

Project Zomboid should be realistic, but of course also fun to play.

But you can't just say, the player need seeds, water, remedies for plant diseases, different tools and luck with the weather and then you add a recipe for a barrel with only a hammer, 4 planks and 4 nails.

I don't mean it bad, but this is a significant loss of realism.

Seeds and tools for farming aren't as uncommon as staves and iron barrel-hoops, though. That's kinda what I'm saying. 

I would make a wild guess and say there are quite some farmers in Muldraugh but close to no coopers at all.

On the other side, I'm kinda surprised they went for self-carpented rain-barrels before buckets for rain collection.

Gardens have been around for a long time so have been polished a bit. This is a new feature it will become better with time. Its a alpha not beta. This stage of the game is adding basic features getting them stable then moving on to the next feature. This is step one getting it in and testing the idea. Soon you will be able to use trash cans, make water troughs, etc...

So we should just remove this craft because we don't have all the required material yet ? Silly :(

The carpentry/crafting thing will have a lot of improvement one day, by adding a lot of new stuff and tools to craft etc.

Can I say the mighty word ? Oh please... ALPHA ! :D

So we should just remove this craft because we don't have all the required material yet ? Silly :(

The carpentry/crafting thing will have a lot of improvement one day, by adding a lot of new stuff and tools to craft etc.

Can I say the mighty word ? Oh please... ALPHA ! :D

I know it's alpha. ;)

And I don't say, remove this recipe.

Just add an item plastic tarp to the game and to the recipe and change the crate texture into an open crate texture with a plastic tarp inside. :-)

Just wondering, since rain barrels are being implemented to collect rain, why can't we simply put a cooking pot, or a bucket, water can, etc outside, and have that collect rain?

I'm guessing that you're using rain barrels at first to test for bugs, then implementing my suggestion in the update after 2.9.9.11...?