The Format of .bmp files used mapping in PZ. Paint. Paint files in modding, mapping.

RAINBOW

Anyone out there know what the format of paint files used is for the standard .bmp files used in custom maps for PZ?

I only ask, because I prefer photoshop to "Paint.net" which is listed in this (Excellent) mapping tutorial, Here.

Other people might use Illustrator or whatever.  But its nice to be able to use the tools you are comfortable with- OH! 

I should probably explain why I don't use Photoshop "Anyway" as it will work just as well, - Well, the WorldEd map tools were generating some odd errors (I suspect in no small part because I was saving in a weird format) such as the colour for "Sand" not being recognised (210, 200, 60 - I think? from memory) in the top leftmost corner up to fifty pixels of my map-

and paint.net worked fine.  Anyway.  anyone know? 

I export .png -files with gimp and they work just fine. I think the example files in the map tools files are also png, so I'd think that's the one to go with.

I've had a similar problem with gimp sometimes changing the colours by one or two points and the map won't recognize those. I've just ignored it and when the time has come, I've just painted those spots again. I can see this as some sort of annoyance though and I might take a shot with Paint.net if you're saying it doesn’t have that problem.

When using photoshop, make sure in the general preferences (Edit menu.......General....) you set antialasing to nearest neighbor, set colors to Windows and make sure to un tick antialiasing, feathering when using brushes or any other tool. Also when creating a new project don't let adobe manage your colors, and set it to 24 bit like Ringo said. Also make yourself a swatch with all the basic project zomboid colors. It's been working for me. Also Suomiboi thanks for the tip on the blends.txt. it was driving me crazy that nothing was blended at all!!!!

Also when saving in png format when it asks if you want interlaced and compression don't do either.