Is there a proper "I Am Legend" mod? (Not Insomnia!)

Coyoteze

Hi there!

I am HUGELY in love with this game, it's pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a Zombie game.

Now, I also HUGELY love the movie "I Am Legend". And my one sole wish is for a game in this world to be literally that movie in game-form.

Now, I know there's a mod called Insomnia which adds a few "I Am Legend"-ish traits, but there's a few issues with it.

Firstly, the zombies are still there during the day. Yes, they're basically blind, but in the movie they're completely clear of the streets, and Robert Neville can run and even drive on the roads freely without worry.

Secondly, the mod removes your need to sleep. That's another big drawback for me.

Basically, what I'm thinking about IS the Insomnia mod, but with a few changes:

• Zombies are completely gone during the day, but plentiful at night.
    • If possible, have zombies hide out in houses during the day. In that case, they should retain the traits of being basically blind, so that you can sneak around them.
  • You still need to sleep.

Now, I have no idea how to mod this game. If I did, I'd do it myself. So I of course don't have any idea what limitations this game has for modding. I figure having the zombies hide out in houses during the day in order to clear the streets would probably require modding the AI, but like I said, I have no clue.

But I'm asking anyway - is it possible?

Just two things I'd like to point out. First, if you had them hide in houses, then when a player enters a house they would activate and move to attack the player, because the interior of buildings = dark, and the creatures in I Am Legend had no trouble operating inside them during daylight.

Second, the creatures in I Am Legend were not zombies. Zombies are undead. I Am Legend had infected humans who turned feral and predator-like. :P

Just two things I'd like to point out. First, if you had them hide in houses, then when a player enters a house they would activate and move to attack the player, because the interior of buildings = dark, and the creatures in I Am Legend had no trouble operating inside them during daylight.

Second, the creatures in I Am Legend were not zombies. Zombies are undead. I Am Legend had infected humans who turned feral and predator-like. :P

Well, obviously there'd have to be a little bit of compromise. Unless it's possible to make it so every house has closed drapes, which could be a nice alternative. Still though, can't have everything I want, unless someone made an entirely new game (in which case first-person view in the Unreal Engine would be awesome!)

And the zombies in Insomnia still reacted to sound, so just make sure they're blind allowing you to sneak around, but if you make sounds, you're screwed. Problem would be if you ran outside, I suppose.

And yeah, I know they aren't zombies in I Am Legend. My solution to that would be to just use Fast Zombies, as it's the closest to the feral, rage-obsessed infected in I Am Legend.

If possible, have zombies hide out in houses during the day.

I'm not sure of the technical feasibility of having zombies actively seek shelter in the dark. I wouldn't be surprised if this was possible.

I think a map with a lot of commercial and industrial buildings with dark inner recesses would make great caves and hovels for light-sensitive vampire-ish zombies to sleep in. Buildings with outer rooms that are lighter and inner, darker rooms that are more dangerous would be great. 

You could also just have any zombies trapped outside die. That way when they chased you out into the light they'd die as well.

If possible, have zombies hide out in houses during the day.

I think a map with a lot of commercial and industrial buildings with dark inner recesses would make great caves and hovels for light-sensitive vampire-ish zombies to sleep in. Buildings with outer rooms that are lighter and inner, darker rooms that are more dangerous would be great. 

You could also just have any zombies trapped outside die. That way when they chased you out into the light they'd die as well.

The map thing would be hella cool. In fact, a NYC-themed map would be awesome to go with a proper I Am Legend mod. Problem is how long it would take. I'm not too familiar with the modding tool, nor with New York. Also, I wonder how the PZ engine would handle skyscrapers...

And that's a cool idea about the zombies dying outside. Would make sense in-universe of I Am Legend as well.

I see your idea for the game but I agree with Red Ring. If you did indeed had zombies hide in a house when the player entered the zombies would just start attacking therefore your player might die.

But I do like the idea of zombies being gone during daylight and during night time bounds of the undead would rule the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea.

The game should start without electricity to not have lights in buldings,

and also possibly withouth water, to force the player go out for drinks.

Buildings could be barricaded

if zombies came outside they would lose health insantly

they should be fast shamblers with lots of health, long memory and no degradation.

You could maybe put in the code that if there was certaing lightness the zombies could lose health, taht way if you open a window they can lose health, also lamps could be really useful

just to say,the creatures in I Am Legend were vampires.at least they were in the book.

and @Junktio laughing man icon is boss

Well why does that matter? This is a Mod. 

Maybe all "zombies" can be naked like in the movie.

I was thinking of trying to do an I Am Legend mod. But sorry, I'm a fan of the book. You'd have to grow garlic in your backyard, and crafting wooden stakes would likely become your evening pass time as they would be nearly impervious to gunfire. It's old school or no school, for me. And sometimes... they come out in the rain.

That's my definition of a "proper" I Am Legend mod.

Side note: You should read the book. It's infinitely better than any of the movies. And, it is often credited for being the source of modern zombie fiction, despite featuring vampires. You'll see many tropes of the zombie genre being born in it's pages. It is also the book that eventually led me to reading Dracula (It's not what most people think it is!), opening up a whole new world of nerdiness for me.

Maybe it's a bit offtopic, but would the engine be able to have a whole new yorkish city on a map? I would love to play in a city that's really big, with 20-40 floor buildings.

Does anyone know if it's possible?

I don't think it's so much an engine limitation as it is a sanity limitation. Having walked the streets of the Big Apple in person, I think it would be absolutely insane to make even a fraction of that city as a PZ map. It would take a huge collaboration. The biggest map collaboration so far, is Bedford Falls. That should give you some idea of the scope of a NYC map.

That being said, and back on topic of I Am Legend, I'd much prefer Los Angeles. Particularly Gardena, and the surrounding suburbs. ;)

• 1 month later...