Project Zomboid Map Project

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I've spent the last few days revamping the way I'm creating the map. The result is a mod and a few .class files that, when properly applied, can be used to help map the world of PZ.

To give an example:

To map an area of 200x200 squares at a resolution of 1280x1024 will result in 156 screenshots weighing roughly 160 Megabyte and will take roughly 20 - 30 minutes.

I am currently in the last testing stage (creating the deepzoom tiles for the website) and will release this with instructions on how to use it later today.

Unfortunately, the current game world is larger than I previously thought, so all links to the map will be pointing to a wrong location soon. The same goes for your local POIs. Sorry for that :-(

The good news is that adding areas to the map will be easier than ever before thanks to the in-game screenshot mechanism!

All you'll have to do is enter your game resolution and the area which you want to map, then start the game, press F10 and lay back anad watch :-) Awesome, isn't it?

The file doesn't exist on Windows. There's a bunch of lines with the word screenshot and coordinates, you'd need to copypaste them from there to a new file.

Can you send me the start script that is used on windows? then I can maybe change that so that a logfile is created.

UPDATE

As promised, here's the first update with the new mapping tool. Special thanks to Kruppski77 for providing over 1000 screenshots to this update!

The map is at its usual place: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

Unfortunately I made a stitching mistake and a big area of the map is now a bit out of place. This will be corrected as the mapping effort continues.

fantastic job dude you get my thumbs up

........................,,-~*~,,
......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
......................|;.;.;.;.;./
......................|.;.;.;.;.|
............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
.........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
.....(:.__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
.....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
.......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,"::::\
.........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-"::::::::::\
...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\

you do not know how long this took me like literally an hour and a half

I figured out a way to make mapping of the insides of buildings work. Have each building have a clickable link which links you to a page with each floor of such clicked building is mapped out with the stitched together pictures and labeled which floor it is above each map part. Perhaps more work than it is worth, but it is a way to do it if anybody is up for the job. I might be able to help with picture, but having a job and college classes at the same time is hard, but I canceled two classes and might have some time for myself which I can use to help from time to time now.

Interesting idea, but nothing really important. I'll keep it on my "let's see" list.

Big update of relatively nothingness :P

Keep it up, I can see this becoming an incredibly useful tool. (I already use it for in-city planning)

Relative nothingness is a good description. Still important because a lot there has been stitched a little off to its actual location. Also, completeness :-)

I figured out a way to make mapping of the insides of buildings work. Have each building have a clickable link which links you to a page with each floor of such clicked building is mapped out with the stitched together pictures and labeled which floor it is above each map part. Perhaps more work than it is worth, but it is a way to do it if anybody is up for the job. I might be able to help with picture, but having a job and college classes at the same time is hard, but I canceled two classes and might have some time for myself which I can use to help from time to time now.

Interesting idea, but nothing really important. I'll keep it on my "let's see" list.

I think at the very least it could be something to do after the map is all mapped out, but yeah, the "let's see" list pretty much covers that.

I have a feeling once the mapping tools are out, maps will be able to be generated from the save and data files, rendering blindcoders map a lot less valuable. (which will be a shame, but by then it will have served it's purpose to the masses)

That's if the entire map is not completely polished before the tools are available.