Project Zomboid Map Project

Probably, maybe. Depends on how useful the mapping tools will be.

I have a lot of accesses to the site from mobile devices, gaming consoles and even a few TVs. Doubt the tools will run on those :-)

In any case it's fun creating the map, and so long as it is I'll be creating it.

Not sure why you thought the "Upcoming"-Thread was the right place to post it, but I moved it to this topic...

You can see the characters because the map is automatically created from many different screenshots and some of them simply have the character on them.

Hello Map fans.

I have prepared two offline versions of the map. One version is a very much scaled down version of the map weighing "only" 8800x4800 pixels and 28 Megabyte in PNG format: [ Download via BitTorrent ]

The other version is the full size, full weight, all-included version that's currently on the website. It weighs a whopping 12 Gigabyte and contains about 220.000 files in a tape archive file (.tar).

You will probably understand that I'm not able to provide this download all by myself. That's why I'm currently looking for people willing to seed this torrent file for a while. Please get in contact if you can!

EDIT:

To clarify: the big torrent also includes a nice index.html that you can open in your browser to view the map, not only the image tiles.

Now that's just RAD.

I don't even want to imagine how  much time it takes you to do all of this.

With the new system, mapping the entire 6000x6000 squares map takes around 100 hours flat. Add about 20% overhead, you're at 120 hours.

Add to that time for development of the scripts and you're looking at a cool 200 hours.

Stitching that to a big image, creating the tiles, uploading, developing the website around it, sending some bugfixes upstream and doing that a few dozen times and you're easily looking at a few months worth of time.

Totally worth it :D

Is it just me, or the share buttons are broken?

Which share buttons do you mean?