Project Zomboid Map Project

• 2 months later...

How does one go about downloading the map? It says the torrent is currently down, but people have done it in the past so perhaps the magnet still works? I would really really appreciate a local copy so it is more responsive and I can quickly look through it without getting eaten in the game while waiting for the map to load. Even an outdated one would be better than nothing.

Maybe a terabyte cloud storage account? (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-terabyte-of-cloud-storage-for-24-99/)

Then set up a torrent that keeps different pieces in different directories or something, so people can easily choose not to download level 3 or not download Westpoint, or whatever. If enough people download it, you wouldn't have to pay the $25 a year for cloud storage anymore, and people could just torrent the normal way, from each other.

If it is like 400GB(which I personally would download, I have a metric shratton of storage on my PC and play this game a lot) the torrent thing probably wouldn't take off enough to use, but still might be worth a try(wouldn't have enough seeders).

Something else you could do, since it is on a webserver anyway, is set up an anonymous FTP account that can just download the directory the files are stored in. Make sure it only has read access, so people can't do anything but download the files. Additionally, if you have root access to the webserver, you could set up another apache virtual machine and host it on there to further isolate the guest access from the web directory. 

I'm very familiar with all this stuff, so if you are interested, I'd be happy to help out. I may even pay for the TB of storage to store it on a cloud server for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2016 at 7:04 PM, AnthonyDoKo said:

Maybe a terabyte cloud storage account? (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-terabyte-of-cloud-storage-for-24-99/)

Then set up a torrent that keeps different pieces in different directories or something, so people can easily choose not to download level 3 or not download Westpoint, or whatever. If enough people download it, you wouldn't have to pay the $25 a year for cloud storage anymore, and people could just torrent the normal way, from each other.

If it is like 400GB(which I personally would download, I have a metric shratton of storage on my PC and play this game a lot) the torrent thing probably wouldn't take off enough to use, but still might be worth a try(wouldn't have enough seeders).

Something else you could do, since it is on a webserver anyway, is set up an anonymous FTP account that can just download the directory the files are stored in. Make sure it only has read access, so people can't do anything but download the files. Additionally, if you have root access to the webserver, you could set up another apache virtual machine and host it on there to further isolate the guest access from the web directory. 

I'm very familiar with all this stuff, so if you are interested, I'd be happy to help out. I may even pay for the TB of storage to store it on a cloud server for a bit.

Sorry for repyling so late.

I need to do something else before I'll tackle al lof this. Setting this up is no problem, I'm familiar with all of this by trade, too, but thanks for offering!

Traffic isn't really my problem, I got 10 TiB free every month and then "only" get throttled to 10 MBit/s for the rest, so I'm fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...