badtrix

Last Edit: 14:50  GMT, 2nd May

Latest Version: 0.2.2

To all modders out there: i have no clue of debugging, I'm doing trial & error scripting so far :P if anyone knows how to debug, please tell me if there are some "hidden" errors and stuff. thx

Hello fellow survivors,

I'm new to the modding community and want to present you my first mod v0.2.1.

As the topic title suggests, i made a mod which allows you to build whatever you like. Well, not yet, but soon :P

Longterm target: I want this mod to become a community project where everyone can suggest new items or buildable objects (as long as they provide the textures).

HOTFIX v0.2.2 is online! Check out the Changelog! RecyclingMod not required anymore!

Read before installing: From v0.2.1 onwards, this mod uses a modified version of the ISInventoryTranserAction.lua. So this mod has compatibility issues with other mods using modified versions of the ISInventoryTranserAction.lua. However, i do not know of any other mod using the same file yet.

Important Known Bug: Sometimes if you want to add a single item to a container (drop one), it seems not to work. however, i found that repeatedly clicking "drop one" will solve the problem sooner or later (sometimes after 2 retries, sometimes after 10 or more).

get the mod here: http://pz-mods.net/gameplay/BuildingMod/

What this mod is able to do so far:

Buildable Objects

Storage objects (This mod has not been tested on the long term, thus i can not guarantee that the storage objects work absolut properly. Hence i advice to store only common items there first, not that you loose all your ammo due to a bug.)

• Gun Locker

2aahtgg.jpg

Description: The Gun Locker acts like any other storage object. Can be used to store items with a total weigth of up to 50 units.

• Beige Dresser

1z73bx3.jpg

Description: The Beige Dresser acts like any other storage object. Can be used to store items with a total weigth of up to 50 units.

Food

• Well

66b7o5.jpg

Description: You can now build a well on your farm or in your backyard, even in your bedroom if you really want to. After construction, the well works like every other water container objects (sinks, toilets, etc.). Once completed, the well offers you 1000 water. You can directly drink from it or fill your water container items (bottles, etc.). When depleted, it doesnt recover (so far) and you have to build a new one. The well is dismantable however.

Note: All items will be consumed during the building process, even the spade. It broke. On a hard rock. At the bottom of the well whole. And you were too lazy to take it back to the surface.

• Cellar

rvap21.jpg

Description: Build this cellar to preserve your food. Right, no more rotten vegetables or meat. The cellar can be placed everywhere, even inside your house (for the moment). For details on how to preserve food check the "Effects"-section.

Note: If i find i way how to integrate own textures for world objects, i will give the cellar a more accurate sprite. However, this was to most fitting standard texture.

Furniture

• Round Table

2yyp99v.jpg

• Large White Table

xmr19g.jpg

• Oaken Bed

2hz50g1.jpg

Description: This bed can be used to sleep.

Building

Walls

• Brick Wall

rtghn6.jpg

• Brick Corner

16m3g9x.jpg

Door Frames

• Brick Door Frame

wrev4k.jpg

Window Frames

• Brick Window Frame

6hi7oz.jpg

Bug: Adding sheet ropes does not yet work (at least for me). Will try to fix that soon.

Doors

• White Door

f5agax.jpg

Windows

Unfortunately i was not able to implement functional windows. The reason for that is, that build 25 does not offer any java functions to create a functional window. However, I was able to implement non-functional windows (they basically were just doors in a window frame which could be opened), but as this work-around was too buggy (window frame acted like there was no window in it, thus it was still hoppable and you could climb through it even with a closed window, window acted like a door), i decided to wait with implementing windows until either the game developers add the needed functions or i was able to code a better work-around.

Floors

• Parquet Floor

2ev85n4.jpg

Roofs

• Flat Roof

2rz5qvm.jpg

Description: Well, for real roofs, similar to windows, there are currently no java functions available. However, i implemented a "flat roof", which is basically nothing else than a brick floor. Thus you need to follow the following steps to actually build the roof (read them first before starting):

1. On the topmost floor (on which you want to build the roof), build a stair (to the roof).

2. As the roof is actually a floor, you need to walk up the stairs and then build roof tiles on the whole topmost floor

3. When you have covered the whole roof, you will need to jump down (as you also covered the stair). So make sure there is a balcony on the floor below on which you can land or you risk dying.

4. Remove the stair with your sledge hammer. You dont need it anymore now.

Effects/Functions

• Storage: This object can store x units of items, where x is the storage value for the specific object.
  • Water: This object holds water, where the effect value corresponds to the amount of water hold after building. Objects with the effect "Water" basically function like any sink, toilet etc. Once all water is used, the object is empty and can not be refilled.
  • Sleep: Objects with this effect allow you to sleep on it.
  • Preserve: Maybe the most interesting effect of this mod so far. Food objects with this effect (like the cellar) are able to preserve your food, which drastically extend their DaysFresh and DaysTotallyRotten parameters.

How to preserve: Objects with the effect "Preserve" work pretty much the same as every other container (e.g. crates). They offer a max storage of 50 units. The difference to normal container objects is, that all foods listed in the list below will get preserved when placed in such a container, but only while its in that container. When taking the preserved item out of the container (e.g. transfer it into your main inventory), it gets the "unpreserved" status, meaning it rotts much faster again. Preserved items are marked with (P) as a prefix in inventory.

Bug: Due to the way i coded this function, the item you preserve/unpreserve gets deleted and instead a new preserved/unpreserved item with different stats is added to the container/inventory. Thus it also forgets the status of that food item, e.g. if you add a rotten apple to the cellar, it deletes the rotten apple and adds a fresh preserved apple to the cellar and vice versa (im not quite sure if this really works, didnt try it out yet, but based on the code it should).

List of all items that are preservable atm (so far only food items from the module Base have been implemented):

Note: The names on the list are the actual item names, not the displayed names

• Vegetables (stats while in "Preserve" object: DaysFresh: 300, DaysTotallyRotten: 600)

- Apple

- Banana

- BerryBlack

- BerryBlue

- BerryGeneric1

- BerryGeneric2

- BerryGeneric3

- BerryGeneric4

- BerryGeneric5

- BerryPoisonIvy

- Broccoli

- Carrots

- Corn

- Eggplant

- Grapes

- Leek

- Lemon

- Onion

- Orange

- Peas

- Strawberry

- Watermelon

• Prepared Foods/Meat (stats while in "Preserve" object: DaysFresh: 100, DaysTotallyRotten: 200)

- Dough

- BCCCasserole

- BeanBowl

- BoringBowl

- BoringSoup

- Bread

- Burger

- Chicken

- ComplexBowl

- ComplexSoup

- DeadRat

- DogfoodOpen

- Egg

- Fries

- GrilledCheese

- HeartyBowl

- HeartySoup

- MeatPatty

- OpenBeans

- Pancakes

- Pie

- PiePumpkin

- Pizza

- PotOfSoup

- RamenBowl

- Salmon

- SimpleBowl

- SimpleSoup

- SoupBowl

- Steak

- TastyBowl

- TastySoup

- TinnedSoupOpen

- TunaTinOpen

- Waffles

- WatermelonSliced

- WatermelonSmashed

• Cheese (stats while in "Preserve" object: DaysFresh: 1'000. DaysTotallyRotten: 2'000)

- Cheese

Resources used

Own Resources

• 33o4qdx.png Clay (Check out Farming Section below to learn how to obtain clay)
  • 2u5c27t.png  Brick (Recipe: 1x Clay)

From original game Build 25:

• Planks
  • Nails
  • Screws
  • Spade
  • Rope
  • Sheet
  • Pillow
  • Bucket (empty)
  • Bucket with Plaster (Recipe: 1x Bucket + Water + 1x Bag of Plaster Powder)
  • Bag of Plaster Powder

From Recycling Mod (by Ramibuk)

• 260vrc7.jpgMetal (Recipe: 10x piece of Metal + Toolbox + Steel Pipe + Gas Bottle + Lighter)

Farming

To get some of the resources needed for my mod, you need to start farming. Well, its more digging. However, as it basically works like farming I call it farming too. Check the following list to see how different resources are obtained.

• 33o4qdx.jpg Clay

Description: Clay is used to make bricks. It is also used as "cement" (yet) when building walls etc.
How to get: To get clay, first of all you need a spade (not a trowel) in your main inventory. If you have one, then simply right click on an empty tile. Besides of the option "Dig", the context menu should show you now the option "Dig More". In the submenu, click "Clay". The cursor now is a drag object similar to the one you get when plowing tiles. As soon as you click on a valid tile, your character will walk there and start digging. After the digging is done, you receive 1x Clay. The tile will not be altered in any way (unlike as when you plow a tile etc.) and remains the same as before. For future versions i plan to implement something like a digging whole which will replace and occupy/lock the original tile and offers only a specific amount of clay.

Recipes

Resources

• 2u5c27t.jpg Brick: 1x Clay, Result: Brick = 1,

Description: To make bricks, you only need clay in your main inventory (no tools needed). Simply right click clay in your inventory and choose to "Make brick". In future versions i will maybe implement some kind of wooden form which is needed to form the bricks. And maybe making bricks will also require some heat. We will see.

Changelog

Hotfix v0.2.2:

- added the suburbsdistribution file for the materials gasbottle, gasbottlebbq, tool set and steel pipe. so you are finally able to find those items and start crafting :P

- added new custom texture for "cellar"

v0.2.1:

- This update adds a new object function, called "preserve". The only placable object of that type so far is the cellar. Food items placed in this type of container are preserved (only as long as they are in that container). Check "Effects"-section for more details on the preserve function.

- Further, with this version release this mod became a standalone mod, meaning that you dont need the RecyclingMod/RMUtitlities anymore (yay). Basically i just integrated the resources needed from the Recycling Mod, so for those having the Recycling Mod active nothing will change (you can still use the resources from the recycling mod), and for those not having the Recycling Mod, the needed resources/recipes are added.

- Making a Well now uses brick/clay instead of bucket with plaster

v0.2:

This update brings you many more buildable objects, functions, and resources. Check above for all items available with current version. The mod now allows to build whole houses made of bricks.

New buildable objects:

• Furniture: round table, large white table, and oaken bed
  • Building/Housing: brick wall, brick door frame, brick window frame, brick corner, white door, parquet floor, and flat roof.

New resources:

• Clay: is needed to make bricks
  • Brick: is needed to build most building/housing objects

New effects/functions:

• Sleep: Objects with this effect allow you sleep on it.

v0.1.2:

With this update i added not only new objects, but a new function too! Since this function took me quite a while until it worked properly i was only able to add 2 new buildable objects:

• Beige Dresser: This object works as exactly the same as the Gun Locker. It also has a storage capacity of 50 units (as soon as i find out how to change them i will make different capacities for different containers). This dresser is for lower skilled players, it requires carpentry skill level 1. It costs 8 nails and 4 planks.
  • Well: Yes, a well. You can now build a well on your farm or in your backyard, even in your bedroom if you really want to. After construction, the well works like every other water container (sinks, toilets, etc.). Once completed, the well offers you 1000 water. When depleted, it doesnt recover (so far) and you have to build a new one. The well is dismantable however. To build it, you'll need 1x spade, 2x bucket with plaster, 2x plank, 4x nails, 1x rope and 1x bucket. All items will be consumed during the building process, even the spade. It broke. On a hard rock. At the bottom of the well whole. And you were too lazy to take it back to the surface.

4 new resources/items (by new i mean that so far these items haven't been used as building resources. However, these items are standard items coming with standard Build 25) :

• Shovel: the actual ingame name is spade. Guess i have to change that for next update :P
  • Bucket with Plaster: A bucket full with plaster
  • Bucket: An empty bucket.
  • Rope: not the sheet ropes, right, those of no use so far :P

v0.1.1:

This mini update changes the following:

- This mod now requires the Recycling Mod http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2415-recycling/

- v0.1.1 introduces 2 new building resources: screws and metal. Yes, right, you finally can use those stacks of screws you may have collected. Further this mod now uses the resource metal introduced with the Recycling mod by Ramibuk.

- Changed to build requirements for the gun locker. You now need to be carpenter skill lvl 4 to build it. The construction consumes 5 metal and 10 screws.

v0.1:

- When you have a hammer in your main inventory, it adds the new build option "Build More" to the context menu when right clicking on an empty tile.

- So far, you can only build one object, a gun locker. It works as every other container object in to world (like crates or shelves) and has a capacity of 50. Atm it only costs 2 planks and 2 nails and is for carpentry lvl 0 already, but i will change that soon.

Known Bugs/Issues

• The dresser can be placed on squares where already an object is placed (i.e. you can place a dresser on another dresser, walls etc.). So you might want to double check where you place your dressers. Will fix that bug soon.
  • Building a well requires you to carry items of a total weight of around 30 units in your main inventory (building resources and tools). This may cause some inconvenience because you may need to empty your main inventory first. However, in one of the next versions i will adress this problem by allowing to use also resource materials lying on the ground (i.e. on the square you are standing on).
  • Storage objects currently are nothing else than wooden crates with other sprites (with respect to most object parameters). This problem will be solved in one of the next versions too. However, this bug only impacts the object icon displayed in inventory. Thus Gun Lockers and Beige Dressers currently show the same icon as wooden crates: 2ikusci.jpg

What is planned for this mod:

See targets for further versions:

v0.2:

- For the next version which i hope is ready in a few days i will add many more objects to the build menu. If you want me to add a specific object to the mod, let me know in the comments. Basically i can add any object available in original build 25 (like any walls, lights, doors, windows, containers, floors, concrete mixer etc.). So if you see a nice object ingame which you want to be able to build by yourself, post a screenshot of it as a comment to this topic and i will add it as soon as possible.

- More realistic build costs and requirements (2 nails and 2 planks are kinda cheap, right?)

v0.3:

- Add new building materials. Not yet sure if i will add new materials by myself or if I will use the materials added by the Recycling Mod first and add own materials for later versions (need to talk to Ramibu first for permission).

v0.4:

- Add own building materials and receipes. I want to add many more building materials not available in any mod yet. In order to build concrete walls I want you to make concrete first in an improvised concrete mixer. If you want to build a window, I want you to have to scavange for windows first. You want to build a refrigerator? Good luck, then :P

- Create own textures or implement items created by other players (with their permission of course)

v0.5:

- I want this mod to become a community project where everyone can suggest new items or buildable objects (as long as they provide the textures).

r1hohi.jpg

Installation:

1) Copy the folder "BuildingMod" into your user/Zomboid/mods folder
2) Copy the folder "zombie" into your game root directory (if the directory you think is the root directory
does not contain a folder named "zombie" already, then its not the root directory) and confirm folder/file replace.
yes, this will replace an original game file. however, i only added a few lines of code, which became
nessecary for the new preserve function to work correctly.
3) Activate the Mod in Game as you do activate every other mod.
4) Build!

Credits:

Thanks to Ramibuk for his work on the Recycling Mod, of which i integrated parts (i.e. items, recipes, textures) into my mod to make it a standalone mod.

Permissions: Feel free to link this mod, alter this mod, or use it as a starting point for your own mod. All i want is credits :P

I will keep this thread up to date. Please post me any suggestions, bugs, and whatever you like to post :)

sorry to make you even more mad dan, but from v0.1.1 you need also the Recycling Mod to get all functions of my mod running. The only craftable object so far (gun locker), needs now metal. but i will make sure to add also objects which can be built with standard resources like planks and nails.

EDIT: lol, i just noticed the link to my mod says ga...y :P

New version v0.2 is online. Make sure to upgrade your current version to get all the new features (see changelog above).

Edit: Please let me know when you discover any bugs or problems so i can fix them for next version.

To run properly, this mod requires the Recycling Mod by Ramibuk (and thus also RMUtilities)

Every time i enable RMUtilities and quit to main menu all menu options disappears and only thing i can do is to alt+f4 to exit - after deleting string RMUtilities from C:\Users\adres4t\Zomboid\mods\loaded.txt i can run the game again.

What can be wrong on my end?

This mod is so awesome! But there is one big flaw and thats the reason why I´m not using it: the Recycling mod

Seems like it (the Recycling mod) hasn´t been updated for quite a while now and the creator was lost logged in here in january. I think you should work around this somehow.

This mod is so awesome! But there is one big flaw and thats the reason why I´m not using it: the Recycling mod

Seems like it (the Recycling mod) hasn´t been updated for quite a while now and the creator was lost logged in here in january. I think you should work around this somehow.

Check this link http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7184-mods-updated-for-build-25/ there are new(updated) versions of some mods, Recycling Mod among others.

Also You can remove the dependency on RMUtilities by deleting appropriate string in the mod.info file from Recycling mod.(i did it for myself because RMUtility was messing up my game)

Thanks dred! I already found that thread, but how long will DrHorribleMDPhd update these mods? Will he even add new features to them?

Don´t get me wrong, the work that DrHorribleMDPhd does is just awesome but it will be a hell of a job to maintain all these mods.

well, thats some good point you bring in dred/dr_cox. i basically used the recycling mod because it allowed me to use resources without creating them myself. but i also noticed the author wasnt online for a while. so yes, i might remove the recycling/RMUtilities mods from my mod (so it becomes a standalone mod) for next version and implement an own metal resource (or maybe i will just implement parts of the recycling mod into my mod and upgrade them recently). Ramibuk (author recycling mod) allowed to used his mod in any way. so i will think about what is best solution and will implement it in this weekends update (maybe on sunday evening).

Very cool!

Pot-in-pot storage system would work well with your mod seeing as you have farmable clay, but I'm not aware of any sprites/textures that could be used.

What do you mean by pot-in-pot storage system? If i would now what this is, i could think about implementing it :P

Very cool!

Pot-in-pot storage system would work well with your mod seeing as you have farmable clay, but I'm not aware of any sprites/textures that could be used.

What do you mean by pot-in-pot storage system? If i would now what this is, i could think about implementing it :P

Mentioned in Cykodelik's thread, here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7909-craft-food-storage-and-ovens/#entry104122

And on my other thread, here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7790-lots-o-stuff/#entry102493

oh, so you mean you want buildable objects to preserve food? Well, thats a very good idea. like a smoke box to conserve meat, or a way to preserve them by using salt. Pot-in-pot seems to have quite low storage capacity though :P but what about digging a cellar where its always cool and thus extends food durability by a few months (by cellar i do not mean an actual room where you can walk in and place other racks but a single or double tile objects with the texture of a hatch and storage possibility)?

however, there are two problems:

• Textures: I did not implement any own textures yet, so im not sure how good this works. also, im really bad at making textures. for resources i basically just took a foto of google and used some photoshop filters :P so if there is someone out there who 1) can make textures and 2) is willing to allow me to use them in my mod, i can give it a try.
  • Available java functions: the bigger problem will be what the game currently offers me in terms of java functions. if there is a possibility to change durability/storability with lua funcions, then i will be able to do so. if not, i will have to make a workaround (probably by making a cellar with the properties of a refrigerator which has always power). however, not sure if this would work. extending meats duarbility should be easy though, i just need to add new foods (like cured or smoked meat) and change their properties.

But i will give it a try. So please let me know if you (whoever is reading this) want to make some textures for my mod.

Hi bad trix, I haven't started to try this mod yet (currently trying to problem solve other mods I have downloaded) but I just wanted to say this looks like it will be great!

I know you have already looked at the recycling mod, but have you seen the forge mod?

I think this would be another good mod combo (I currently have forge and recycle) but forge mod has a forge that allows you to smelt iron ingots, but it could also be used to 'bake' your clay bricks! :)

I am definately planning to see if I can merge and blend this with my current combo mod, as this would be a perfect addition, and I look forward to seeing your updates :)

well, next version will be a standalone version, meaning you will not need the recycling mod anymore. so i do not plan to use further mods' resources, objects etc., as everyone who wants my mod would also needs the other mods, and there is no guarantee that they will be kept up-to-date by their authors etc. however i will implement new objects like forge, food preserving storage objects,etc. in future versions too.

but to come back on baking clay bricks: you actually do not need to bake them, you can make clay bricks by simply drying them outdoor (winter might not be the best time though). but i will implement new features

Man... Why'd you have to do this? Q_Q I have so many mods for build 23 that need to be updated and this comes along :c Do I stay with my build 23 mods or do I update to build my own awesome stuff in game but with no massive arsenal of guns? hmmmm.....

yarn digger, come to one of the update v25 mod threads we have and ask about what is or isn't working, or what ones you want.

on the topic of arsenals, I have tommyguns working on the latest build, I don't know of any other guns you could want once you have that.

New version 0.2.1 uploaded!

I added the object "Cellar", which allows you to store perishable food much longer than normally without rotting. Check the Changelog above for all details.

Further, you do not need Recycling Mod anymore (yay).

New version 0.2.1 uploaded!

I added the object "Cellar", which allows you to store perishable food much longer than normally without rotting. Check the Changelog above for all details.

Further, you do not need Recycling Mod anymore (yay).

SUPER! I've gone on a run to collect plaster Spades and buckets in anticipation of the recycling mod change I'm ready to go!

Now all we need is a !!FIREPLACE!!

you still need also metal for some objects, however you do not need recycling mod anymore to get that resource (you are still able to recycle e.g. pots or knives to get metal or pieces of metal).

yeah, a save fireplace might be something to do next, but first i think i will add some more objects to the mod, different walls etc. and also add more food items that can be preserved. and maybe then i will make this mod B26 SP and MP ready. however this has not my highest priority right now.

if you notice any bugs or issues with the preserve function please let me know as i didnt test it for all items added.