Where should I go?

GSWarriors

Hey Guys,

Im new to PZ and the game is pretty awesome. 

I find myself in the Dilemma of every survivor: Where should I go next? 

Basically, Ive been surviving for 8 Days now, clearing out a few houses around mine (Southeast of Muldraugh) and im starting to get slightly nervous about the water situation. The Supplies could go off any moment and right now my water reserves would keep me alive for merely another week. 

As I am using a map (yes, I know, some consider it "cheating", but I find it logic, that a resident knows his way around town + im new to the game), I figured that there are 2 ways to continue:

- Go to the warehouse/storage facilities at the south of town in order to find the necessary equipment to build the rain-collector barrel. btw: incase it doesnt rain for like a week, this barrel would be useless, right?

With this collector, I would prob. settle down in the city, however, that might mean being overrun by zombies at some point and there is little space for farming. 

- Go for the Well. I think early in the game is the best time to do it. You can get through town using the still functional water supplies and scavenge for food, then cross the forest (with or without sleep?). Obviously, the risk to die is huge here, but the reward would be the ideal location for the continuation of this game. 

Both are risky, as I defoe need a saw for the barrel, while the crossing of the forest might be a deadly mistake to make in order to get to the well… 

I was maybe wondering, if some of the more experienced players have some advice for a beginner. I know that there is no solution to this situation. Its what the game is about and what makes it so cool, because in the end, both decisions might be wrong.However, thanks to the map I have, I kind of plan the way I play and set myself certain goals and this decision is pretty important considering the way it would impact the game for me (scavenge in a different direction, play it safer/riskier etc…)

I hope I posted this in the right section...

In my opinion, there is no destination or a place of where you should go next. The game is not linear, it's random...why? first of all the loots is random, zombie spawns everywhere, so you never know what could happen next, one wrong decision could be your doom, one lousy movement could be your end. This game test your survival skills, your decision making, what would you do when a zombie apocalypse ever happens in real life? how would you do it in order to survive?

Where you should go next? I can't answer that. I say, play the game a bit longer...roam the map, just be careful though...they're everywhere. How to survive longer? Play it safe, don't rush things, go get a safe house and barricade, up your skills e.g carpentry (it's important), consume your food as few as possible (I always start with light eater trait - this helps a lot), loot more food e.g berries, canned goods. When things gets scarce - after 5 months, then "This is how died" is a big reason why they have put that during load times. Big part right there. ;)

Oh, save as much bullets as you can, you gonna need it.

Good Luck  ^_^

Does the number of Zombies increase constantly? 

No, they don't respawn or reanimate, once you killed them - they stay dead, bodies & blood could be everywhere by then but If you were talking about zombie distribution - depends, in survival they are normal in numbers, in sandbox - insane setting could be a problem & a challenge; every streets, backyards, every turn is infested.  (clyde)

You best watch out for alarms, gunshots, helicopters or any noise that could make them move - this could be a problem for you later on, sleepless nights and sometimes makes the zombies more aggressive to break down your safe house's windows. Sometimes, bathroom zombies could be worst and mostly considered to be the deaths of most players if you're careless.  ^_^

Okay, so we are a bit spoiling the gameplay here...when I first started playing this game I died like 15 times a day, then figured out that rushing things is one of the biggest wrong decision you could ever make. So be careful, plan ahead, and be smooth everytime.

Edited by PZFanatic

Ok, thanks guys. Tbh honest, I tried to get to a local warehouse close to my house. The streets are full of zombies, so ill stick with looting my neighborhood for now :D 

Ill have to find tools sooner or later, so the warehouses are pretty much my only hope. For now ill just see if I can survive for a month or two. 

Ok, thanks guys. Tbh honest, I tried to get to a local warehouse close to my house. The streets are full of zombies, so ill stick with looting my neighborhood for now :D

Ill have to find tools sooner or later, so the warehouses are pretty much my only hope. For now ill just see if I can survive for a month or two. 

You can find sledgehammer (very important & essential to have it early) in the "McC-errr-i-forgot-the-name corp" up north if you look at the map. It's not far if you started in Muldraugh.

One last thing, don't forget to check out the perimeters before your character goes to sleep. better safe than sorry.

Happy gaming dudes!

Thanks man! 

Unfortunetaly, everything came to an abrupt end when one morning, I opened my door and 2 zombies waited there for me and attacked me. I was able to kill them, but I ended up being infected and dying after 9 days and 22 hours. Rookie mistake and a massiv fail considering my plan of reaching either the wells or the warehouse :D

I am a bit sad, as I just started liking jay crowder, the 27 year old contruction worker :(

Time for a second try. Too bad, everything went pretty good. 

Thanks man! 

Unfortunetaly, everything came to an abrupt end when one morning, I opened my door and 2 zombies waited there for me and attacked me. I was able to kill them, but I ended up being infected and dying after 9 days and 22 hours. Rookie mistake and a massiv fail considering my plan of reaching either the wells or the warehouse :D

I am a bit sad, as I just started liking jay crowder, the 27 year old contruction worker :(

Time for a second try. Too bad, everything went pretty good. 

A fresh start is always good, try to select trait that can help you survive longer e.g light eater.

I'd only go for the well after getting some Sprinting levels and Sneaking levels, at least 3 good melee weapons, a week's worth of food, and a tent kit.

And by that time, you would've skilled up Carpentry enough to be able to build the barrels anyway. Which makes going for the well a moot point.

Besides, you'd want to stay close to the city area. Yes, it's where the zeds are at. But that's also where the action (and supplies) are. It gets dull out there by the wells. And it'll suck if you find, in the midst of building your fortress by the well, you ran out of nails.

Because food is abundant in the early game, I now shift very early from food acquisition to weapon\tool hunting. I can impose my will upon zombies much more effectively with a shotgun.

My goal is to have an axe, trowel, and shotgun by the end of week 2 and preferably by the end of week 1.

As everyone pointed out, it's all random.

I had the same survival problems myself; died a lot of times, more than enought to keep me playing the game. For the training purpose, you can increase the loot rarity, decrease the number of zeds and even increase day lenght. That worked out great for me and after a 4 ingame days of gameplay I learn more than I did in my other games.

But now, back to the point! Carry a mug of water all the time and, when you'll consume it (your character does that automatically), just fill it up. It's faster than drinking, it fills up very fast and it's the lightest. After the water is gone, you'll still be able to use any other sink two more times. This means you can fill up two mugs for every sink you find. I was left w/o water in the 8th day, built some barrels, but realised I didn't even need them that much. Had a lot of fully scavanged houses and I just went there and refilled my mug and drink a sip.

In build 23 the tiles for 2nd roof are bugged so it's a problem if you want to build your own safehouse. That is fixed in build 25, but farmining is broke; as soon as you'll load the game you won't have the contextual menu for it. IWBUMS fixes that, but man, did that messed up the warehouse roof!

With all this into account I can also add that Project Zomboid is the game that's best learn with trial and error. There's no perfect guide, no ultimate base spot, no winning strategy. Only a few tips you should take into account.

P.S.: Level your carpentry by sawing up logs! You need an axe (preferably) to cut trees down  for two logs and a saw for 3 exp/log which is 6 exp/tree w/o any skill books.

Cheers and good luck mate! Have fun dying!

I was in the same sh*t

Searching for the well as i realized i don't even need it!

Thanks folks for all your advices, it will help me in my apocalypse!

I play in survival mode, as i think it's preferably the safest way to get in. Do you think i must play in sandbox and modify the settings?

Second try: Only 8 Days again. I got over confident killing Zs. Kind of weird, it seems like I was infected by a Crawler, eventhough I killed him with one hit and I didnt "see" him attacking me at all… Very very unfortunate it seems. 

Im playing build 23, I scavenges most of my neighborhood and wasnt able to find any tools except a hammer (found like 6 guns though)… I think the locals warehouse is the only place I could find a saw or an axt…

BTW: My game closes itself after I die, actually, after I click when seeing the screen telling me how long I survived. Wasnt able to "respawn" at the same place with a new character. Im playing Survival as well...

Second try: Only 8 Days again. I got over confident killing Zs. Kind of weird, it seems like I was infected by a Crawler, eventhough I killed him with one hit and I didnt "see" him attacking me at all… Very very unfortunate it seems. 

Im playing build 23, I scavenges most of my neighborhood and wasnt able to find any tools except a hammer (found like 6 guns though)… I think the locals warehouse is the only place I could find a saw or an axt…

BTW: My game closes itself after I die, actually, after I click when seeing the screen telling me how long I survived. Wasnt able to "respawn" at the same place with a new character. Im playing Survival as well...

My game does that aswell. It will sit for about 2 minutes after GA and then eventually kill the process . I think it may be a bug at this point.

As for strategy: I believe having the water collector is essential to long term survival. Even if it rains once every two weeks, that amount should last you until the next time I would think.

Your rushing things - this is going to kill you early in the game. Crawlers is easy to kill when you know the timing, sometimes your character swings and no hit (some sort of bug) point the mouse button in the crawler's position (possibly in the head) then hit LMB when the crawler is close enough for you to kill it. It is much better though to avoid crawlers as much as possible.

@Looch: Ok, I will, though I believe Axes/Saws on Zombies are extremely rare...

@PZFanatic: Yea, I guess I was. I had killed 40+ Zombies at that point and looted my entire neighborhood, so I wanted to start clearing out the street from Zs so I could get to the urban warehouse. Was playing with the trackpad too, which was a bad idea.

Those saves were promising, I had loads of Food and Water and weapons etc and I managed to clear out many houses. So for now, Im not too much into starting another save. Need to get some distance and try again and somehow remind myself to stay away from zombies as much as possible. 

EDIT: Is there like a Q&A thread where I can post some general questions? No point in opening a thread for every little question I have...

@PZFanatic: Yea, I guess I was. I had killed 40+ Zombies at that point and looted my entire neighborhood, so I wanted to start clearing out the street from Zs so I could get to the urban warehouse. Was playing with the trackpad too, which was a bad idea.

Those saves were promising, I had loads of Food and Water and weapons etc and I managed to clear out many houses. So for now, Im not too much into starting another save. Need to get some distance and try again and somehow remind myself to stay away from zombies as much as possible. 

EDIT: Is there like a Q&A thread where I can post some general questions? No point in opening a thread for every little question I have...

Lemme give you some tip - if your saved game is important and don't want to start all over and over again every time...there is a solution to that. You can find your saved file inside the users/username/project zomboid. Copy the saved file from either Survival, Sandbox, or Challenge (whichever mode you have played).

@Looch: Ok, I will, though I believe Axes/Saws on Zombies are extremely rare...

Never use the trackpad! That is what killed me my first ever playthrough, when my finger slipped and allowed a zed access to my back.

Lemme give you some tip - if your saved game is important and don't want to start all over and over again every time...there is a solution to that. You can find your saved file inside the users/username/project zomboid. Copy the saved file from either Survival, Sandbox, or Challenge (whichever mode you have played).

That is a good advice. Im not 100% sure how to do it: When I go to /Zomboid/Survival, I have like Folders with different dates (dates of me playing a game. In those folders, I have many .bin Files… Which one should I copy and Save, or is it the whole folder I need to save.

That is a good advice. Im not 100% sure how to do it: When I go to /Zomboid/Survival, I have like Folders with different dates (dates of me playing a game. In those folders, I have many .bin Files… Which one should I copy and Save, or is it the whole folder I need to save.

You only need the folder with dates on it - copy it and use it as backup.

Ok, people keep telling me how important it is to improve my carpentry lvls. For that I would need a hammer, nails and wood. To obtain the latter, a axe or saw is required… So in the end, this all leads back to my question: where do I go to find these things. Im playing survival and I heard that the spawning of certain objects is even more rare than in the sandbox game, but im sure many of you suggesting this are playing survival as well…