How will 3D Models be added to the game?

GodWaffle

Hi, so I was just thinking about the 3D system that's been added.  I haven't got any modding experience with this game but it does interest me.  Anyway, will there be some sort of tool that will convert 3D models and their animations into the game format? And then how will you be able to access these in-game?

Personally I'd like to see (or make) a mod that adds more asthetic features to the game (characters mainly).  I'd like to see:

Hats,
Jackets,
Visible 3D Bags,
Variations of existing weapons (visual change only),
Different shoe types

I would do this by extracting the existing models and animations and then attach my custom model where I'd like it (on the back of the player for a backpack, etc), then remove the player model while keeping the backpack with the animations still on it.  

I just wonder if the devs have any ideas on how easy or hard this would be to do? Will we be given template models and animations to work from?

Also, what about 3D in-game objects such as (non-functional) cars which may have a random rotation on them?

Forgive me if this has already been answered, just a thought I had.

Thanks,
-Ben

Visible 3D Bags,

finally, someone have brought this up. It does make sense to make it visible - good idea bro!  :evil:

Haha thanks, this is actually something that really bugs me when playing for some reason, like my guy has a back on his bag and is carrying another one but there is no visual representation of that at all.. also when equipping a weapon it should be in one hand unless you choose "equip in both hands".

Haha thanks, this is actually something that really bugs me when playing for some reason, like my guy has a back on his bag and is carrying another one but there is no visual representation of that at all.. also when equipping a weapon it should be in one hand unless you choose "equip in both hands".

It might also be good to have a weapon like an axe sticking out of the backpack during unequip.  (clyde)

• 11 months later...

Right now the only way to import your models to the game is remplacing  in-game item model for yours. this is becouse its hard-code, the same for textures. Its a shame but i hope this changes soon.

• 3 weeks later...