The purpose of dogs in the game

PZFanatic

It would be quite nice if we can have a pet system added into the game.

Why we should have this?

- The pet can scavenge, bring a little few additional items (medical supplies, ammo, canned goods, water bottle) & maybe some construction materials (nails, a few planks,) except the heavy stuff such as; logs, sledgehammer.

Pet system is also useful during; your character is injured, having a fever or activity that drains your health. During this time; the pet can scavenge little bit of food for you, maybe a few berries, a rotten fruits or vegetables?

- A pet can also be use to reduce boredom; you can play catch with it, your character will no longer feel alone.

- It can also be use as a guardian during the night while your character is sleeping, so whenever a zombie threat comes - the pet should make noise to alarm your sleeping character or engage the zombie threat all by itself.

- It can also be use to return looted items back to your safe house - features such as torchlight.

A few things to keep the game balance:

- A pet can still get infected and eventually die or after 11 yrs. of survival (if you can live that long)

- Can only carry a few but important items

- You need to feed it (finally putting some use of that ol' dog food in the game)

- Can get sick when over expose under bad weather condition

--------------------

So yeah, pet system is important in a zombiepocalypse.

I wish my dog could do all those things! I think your list is too ambitious/overpowered. 

I think dogs should be much more limited.  Benefits - dogs lower stress, improve mood, slightly increase owner's healing rate (decreased stress and increased mood could justify a slightly increased healing rate), maybe could be a warning system and maybe attack if owner is attacked but that seems a stretch.  Needs - you have to feed them, they could get injured, they could die.

I agree with Invader Jim

I think it's also important to think about wether or not animals get infected with the zombie virus in this world. Cause if so, a dog attacking a zombie would be pretty bad since the only way I know a dog would do damage is by biting wich would mean getting infected. Maybe the abilty to train him to attack hostile npc's but not zombies or at least not bitting zombies and only pushing them over in severe cases? The abiltiy to smell and hear zombies to warn you. Maybe the abitly to make him carry a little backpack on his bag (severly adjusted by crafting or something) but this would already be quite a stretch. In general if they would implement dogs in any way I would think of it like in the movie "I am Legend".

I wish my dog could do all those things! I think your list is too ambitious/overpowered. 

I think dogs should be much more limited.  Benefits - dogs lower stress, improve mood, slightly increase owner's healing rate (decreased stress and increased mood could justify a slightly increased healing rate), maybe could be a warning system and maybe attack if owner is attacked but that seems a stretch.  Needs - you have to feed them, they could get injured, they could die.

yes i agree it might be overpowered but not everything on that list can be implemented. so i edited the op.

Posted Today, 03:46 PM

I agree with Invader Jim

I think it's also important to think about wether or not animals get infected with the zombie virus in this world. Cause if so, a dog attacking a zombie would be pretty bad since the only way I know a dog would do damage is by biting wich would mean getting infected. Maybe the abilty to train him to attack hostile npc's but not zombies or at least not bitting zombies and only pushing them over in severe cases? The abiltiy to smell and hear zombies to warn you. Maybe the abitly to make him carry a little backpack on his bag (severly adjusted by crafting or something) but this would already be quite a stretch. In general if they would implement dogs in any way I would think of it like in the movie "I am Legend".

yes, but in real life you can't stop a dog from biting off people or people with hostile intentions but like you said getting the dog infected is bad then perhaps pushing zombies is a good idea but biting hostile npc's neck is a given.

[n]    Zombie Beasts or Infected Animals

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

lets throw in the whole list so fanatic sees it

Key

[n] - This is a confirmed 'No' from the development team. Please don't waste your time or ours reposting unless there's something relevant and new about it

[y] - This is confirmed 'Yes' from the development team. This is something the definitely want to see in the game, but this does not constitute a guarantee. Please don't post about it unless you have something new or relevant to add.

[m] - This is a 'maybe' from the dev team. It's something they've mentioned that they were interested in but we still don't know if it's a confirmed feature. Please don't post about it unless you have something new or relevant to add.

Everything else - everything not marked would be something overwhelmingly decided by the community or that's self-evident. If you feel it needs discussion bring it up here or in a thread if there's not already one out there.

The Big No's!

These are a list of things that are either vehemently opposed by the majority of the community, confirmed "no's" by the dev team, or impossible within the game as it is. I'm going to try to make this completely unbiased, but if you disagree with anything posted feel free to mention it. The most important ones are highlighted in red. If you take nothing else from this thread, please pay attention to these.

Aerosol Can + Lighter = Flamethrower

[n]    Beginning the game before the infection

[n]    Children or babies

[n]    An ending or any game over other than death

[n]    First Person or other viewpoint changes including camera rotation

[n]    Immunity/Cure

[n]    Military Aid

Mini Maps

[n]    Morality or Karma meter

Nudity

Nukes

[n]    Overpowered weapons/specific firearms

Overpowered Vehicles/Tanks

[n]    Personal Hygiene (going to the bathroom, etc.)

Playing as a zombie

[n]    Porting/Console Version

[n]    Random generated maps

[n]    Rape

[n]    Respawning/Quicksaving

[n]    Sex

[n]    "Special" Infected or any type of superhuman zombies

Specific named weapons (such as AK47, M14, etc.)

[n]    Unlimited/large amounts of ammo and weapons

[n]    Voiceover

[n]    Zombie Beasts or Infected Animals

[n]    Zombie Camo, or Using Zombie Guts as a Disguise

Tentative Yes's

These things are things that either the community overwhelmingly supports or the devs have already said they're interested in adding. These things do not need further threads, so please refrain.

[y]    Ability to lock doors

[m]  Amputation

[y]   Animals

[y]   Hunting

[m]   Armor

[y]    Barricading with furniture

[Added]   Bodies of water 

[y]    Bows and Crossbows

[y]    Cauterizing wounds

[y]    Car Batteries

[y]    Chainsaw

[y]    Cleaning up corpses/blood

[Added]    Crawling Zombies

[y]    Dogs

[y]    Electronics

[y]   Feral Animals

[y]    Generators

[y]    iPods

[y]    Malnutrition

[y]    Area Maps (no location marker)

[y]    More animations

[y]    More map content

[y]    More weapons

[y]    More jobs

[y]    More sprites

[SoonMore Baldspot and Kate

[y]    More/Different sneaking animations

[y]    Movable items (such as wheelie bins)

[SoonNPC's (of all types, good and bad)

[SoonNPC relationships

[SoonNPC companions

[SoonNPC infection

[SoonNPC management

[Added]    Online Multiplayer

[y]    Passing out

[y]    Profanity Filter

[Added]    Rain Barrels

[y]    Suicide

[y]    Sadist Movie Director

[m]   Sleep quality

[y]    Sewers and basements

[y]    Traps

[Added]    Unarmed combat

[y]    Vehicles

Anyone notice how dog food already exist?

How about that all dog food is canned?! That stuff is expensive! Like $30 a can! How many people own this stuff?

I'm suprised there is so much of it in Muldraugh. The place is one of the poorest in Kentucky.

Anyway - I give you 3 x Yes! I would name my Dogmeat (because Dogmeat....... and the Puppies! perk). Dogs scavenging for supplies or them having side bags would quite sexy. But couldn't dogs cause some problems like atract zeds? (The Walking Dead S2E1, Dawn of the Dead?).

I would buy the devs crates of beer, if they add this in build 27..... . (clyde)