My suggestion/idea came up when I read the thread bout the new cooking related stuff. And then I thought of fish. Dried and smoked fish exactly. And that is the thing PZ needs! A way of preserving food for a really long time. Dried beef (beef jerky) can last up to one and a half years! Kinda OP, but who cares. No more perishable foods going to waste in the first days of survival!

Yeah really, it's been a pretty basic human initiative since the days of early agriculture. I don't see a character learning this to survive as any less likely then a coach potato learning how to craft rain barrels or a computer nerd learning to farm.

Smoke houses.. I don't know, would require high carpentry and cooking levels. Salting on the other hand is pretty basic, right?

Yeah really, it's been a pretty basic human initiative since the days of early agriculture. I don't see a character learning this to survive as any less likely then a coach potato learning how to craft rain barrels or a computer nerd learning to farm.

Smoke houses.. I don't know, would require high carpentry and cooking levels. Salting on the other hand is pretty basic, right?

Well, I don't necessary mean smoke house.... Maybe a simple stick structure over a smoking campfire that is smoking a lot (burning leaves?)

Well, I don't necessary mean smoke house.... Maybe a simple stick structure over a smoking campfire that is smoking a lot (burning leaves?)

Maybe add a recipe with sturdy sticks or planks with a campfire and rope/tape to put it all together... That would add more use to rope/tape and it would be a great addition to the game.

Why stop at drying and salting? Canning and bottling food isn't hard, as long as you have jar or a bottle, cooked food, some ingredients such as salt and a heat source. Of course, the food made in improvised surroundings and limited resources woudn't hold for long, yet maybe for some weeks they would be usable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's possible too.

Food preservation is one of those things that's been talked about pretty frequently. Being able to preserve food is one of those things that can't be anything other than a good idea :)

Smoking meats, pickling vegetables, canning, storing in root cellars... Really, there's so many different ways this could be implemented it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Preserving food by dehydrating them is possible with the use of ovens for making beef jerkies for instance.

There are other techniques to preserving food, such as pickling process or fermenting them in sealed packaging.

Being able to 'pickle' your own farm grown cucumbers makes them last a very long time and probably lets you create a sense of culture as you create emergency use food for use in a tough environment.

The pickling process uses up the vinegar, or water+salt components so it isn't a renewable resource.

What about having players being able to create alcohol to survive?

In the 16th century, people didn't know about boiling water so they drank beer and alcoholics a lot.

It's because of contaminated water source and the lack of knowledge about boiling water.

So in this case, is it possible for people to distill and create their own alcohol in this game, having some pros and cons to drink them (helps you sleep, quenches thirst, gives happiness) though it leads to hangovers if you drink too much.

Interesting thing about the old beers and liquors- most of them were very impotent when compared to the repeatedly factory distilled stuff we have today. Ales and the like were more of a meal then a beverage, and they contained little enough alcohol that the fluid intact overrode the diuretic effect so you really could survive drinking nothing but, say, RUM.

There's a reason it was a sailor's water.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see some method of preserving food, such as smoking, pickling or salting. Each kind would have benefits and drawbacks and would also give people an incentive to farm more.