Player Re-animantion

Kaitel

Surely this has been suggested but I couldn't find it so just in case I'll ask again. Players that die to zombification should rise up as an actual new NPC zombie, instead of the player's body just falling on the floor and sometimes not even being able to be found by other players.

I can't believe it isn't already the case as it has to be an obvious integral feature for multiplayer. Imagine the scenarios of people lying about whether they were infected as they know the rest of the group may take pre-emptive action against them, the dilemma for the group that does know (how long do we let them live?), perhaps mistakes (I'm sure he was bitten! No, really I'm fin..BANG) and the shock factor of being surprised by the NPC zombie of your friend when you thought you were safe in your base.

Cool, but it needs priority, much more entertaining than fishing and much easier to implement I imagine.

actually, fishing is not for entertainment. just as in real life, catching fish = FOOD.

as for the priority of things to add, that's up to the Devs to decide, not you.

Don't see much of the point of bothering with coding in reanimation. In multiplayer it would be totally useless seeing that zombies are so underpowered compared to humans that you wouldn't have a chance of infecting someone. They would just bash in your skull without any effort. In singleplayer there wouldn't be much of a point either when you think about the amount of time spent for the amount of fun given. Oh so I just killed a single NPC, whoopie doo. The PZ zombies are weak except in numbers so doing anything as one is never going to happen. All it would give is a novel experience for about 1-2 hours before getting old.

Every new PZ stream I watch, they always say lets see if I come back as a zombie and are disappointed when they don't, surely it has to be part of the cycle of a zombie game. None have asked can I fish? Some servers have higher zombie settings that would cause more of a threat, especially if you were unaware someone had just turned behind you. If you did a poll for fishing v reanimation, I know which would win by a mile, there isn't even anywhere to fish at all in Muldraugh. I'm not against fishing, I just think that it's more of a bonus addition than a core feature like reanimation should be.

Actually, I don't know if they will. I'm pretty sure the in-development metagame stores zombie populations abstractly when players are not in the same region, hence storing individual zombie 'NPCs' probably isn't going to work. I don't think zombies are being handled the same as human NPCs at all.

Every new PZ stream I watch, they always say lets see if I come back as a zombie and are disappointed when they don't, surely it has to be part of the cycle of a zombie game. None have asked can I fish? Some servers have higher zombie settings that would cause more of a threat, especially if you were unaware someone had just turned behind you. If you did a poll for fishing v reanimation, I know which would win by a mile, there isn't even anywhere to fish at all in Muldraugh. I'm not against fishing, I just think that it's more of a bonus addition than a core feature like reanimation should be.

food is an absolute necessity. as for people in your hypothetical question, odds are very good they don't even know about the planned fishing. not every player is active in this forum, and not every player keeps up to date on the latest build news.

if reanimation happens, great. if not, so what?

and don't assume that just because something is not on the map right now, that it won't be at some point. still a ton of map work to be done.

You don't have to read the forums to expect to turn into a zombie when infected in a zombie game. It's not like I'm suggesting space travel. It would cause a myriad of interesting situations/dilemmas which would add so much to multiplayer and just make sense, why would you want to delay it? How is say the fishing simulator more important than a complete infection process in a zombie game? Can you survive without fishing? Yes, obviously you can.

You don't have to read the forums to expect to turn into a zombie when infected in a zombie game. It's not like I'm suggesting space travel. It would cause a myriad of interesting situations/dilemmas which would add so much to multiplayer and just make sense, why would you want to delay it? How is say the fishing simulator more important than a complete infection process in a zombie game? Can you survive without fishing? Yes, obviously you can.

The developers have already said they probably aren't going to add in player zombies. Fishing is a very viable tactic in order to survive. There already is an infection mechanic; you get scratched, bye. What you want is reanimation, which isn't as interesting nor fun as you think it'd be. It'd also kill zombie lore; a zombie is supposed to be mindless, not controlled by an intelligent human. 

You might want to look into modding; if something like that were to come up, it'd be there. 

i never expected to reanimate as a zombie in this game. in truth, i don't see it as a big deal at all.

what i focus on is long term survival, and the means necessary for it to happen. that means building a strong fort, having a consistent crop supply growing, and looking forward to the proteins that will be brought in with fishing and hunting. and with the expected NPC's making food more scarce in future builds, the need for fishing (and hunting) will only expand.

i cannot quite understand why you don't grasp this. so i'll tell you again, the way things are NOW is not how they may be in the FUTURE builds. think long term.

I don't want player controlled zombies! I've stressed already to re-animate as an NPC zombie, as in just a normal zombie that already exist, a new zombie would just appear where you die, and it shouldn't be too hard to transfer your equipment onto it.

Imagine if this was a beta for Football Manager and they had they had the match engine done except for when you got in to the penalty area it just came up with "You've scored" and not actually showed what happened, and they decided to work on match press conferences instead which most people would skip anyway. Sure you can play the game but the whole experience is spoiled.

OK then sfy, then you don't need zombies in the game at all, just play a survival game trying to find food all the time and build things, perhaps Banished would suit you better.

I cannot quite understand how you can not want to see the end result of infection and its potential consequences.

This feature needs to be added back in!! What people here aren't understanding is that if you are in a late game online world sometimes your character will have the only axe, screwdriver, sledge, or whatever and if that stuff disappears with your death it's gone from that world for good, and then there's no point of even continuing on that server anymore. It's actually a pretty big deal.

Exactly PintLasher, thank you, you would scream at your friends "quick find that zombie me before it wanders off with my axe!" Or just race back there yourself in single player and hope it hadn't wandered too far or try and find it in a group of them. Just a few of many interesting situations that it would create, but it seems some people have little imagination... go fish.

Dead characters reanimating will be added back into the game at some point. No one is saying it shouldn't be! (at least not the ones who got confused and thought you meant player controlled zombies, anyway). The devs just have other things on their hands right now that they'd rather focus their efforts on. Like I said before, it'll happen when it happens.

i never said they should not be added. i said "if they are, great. if not, so what?"  "i don't see it as a big deal at all."

maybe the problem here is that Kaitel is thinking about the effects it could have in a server world, whereas i tend to play single player mode, and restart a world after dying. so the possibility of reanimation is nonexistent for me. sometimes i forget about the other side of the game.

but as i keep saying, think long term when thinking about this game. it's gonna be a while before they hit "final" stage and a lot of things we have or do now may disappear over time, and new things will of course be coming along in due time.

This feature needs to be added back in!! What people here aren't understanding is that if you are in a late game online world sometimes your character will have the only axe, screwdriver, sledge, or whatever and if that stuff disappears with your death it's gone from that world for good, and then there's no point of even continuing on that server anymore. It's actually a pretty big deal.

There are 2 problems with this statement.

1. If you die from a zombie, your player appears as a dead corpse in that spot with all your equipment. So the stuff doesn't disappear with your death.
  2. The server host can do a soft reset which will reset all forms of storage units to contain new items like at the beginning of a game. Admins also have another option to create items as they see fit. So the admins could either give the items to whoever needs it, or hide essential items throughout the map.

Exactly PintLasher, thank you, you would scream at your friends "quick find that zombie me before it wanders off with my axe!" Or just race back there yourself in single player and hope it hadn't wandered too far or try and find it in a group of them. Just a few of many interesting situations that it would create, but it seems some people have little imagination... go fish.

I don't know how you play this game, but normally I have at least 2 of everything. Also, if it was your only axe, what would racing back there do? Are you going to kill all the zombies that you weren't able to kill with your axe by just using your bare hands? I'm going to have to agree with whomever said that this wouldn't be as exciting as you think it is.