Chainsaw mod: idle sound, swing sound, uses fuel

lulu58e2

Works in 25c, 26

- fixed refill incompatibility introduced in build 26

This is my first mod. I haven't got the mod loader figured out (shows up but doesn't load) so I've been ignoring it for a while and just symlinking my files into the PZ directory.

This mod is to add a chainsaw to the game. The files are all on github at https://github.com/cwmaguire/pz_chainsaw_mod. It's really rough so far: I have a chainsaw that looks like an axe, an idle sound when the chainsaw is equipped, a chainsaw "swing" sound, and some modified damage numbers.

I'm currently in the process of adding fuel filling and fuel usage. I'm adding a "fill..." menu with a sub menu for each chainsaw and a sub-sub-menu for each gas can. Chainsaws and gas cans will have a fuel amount displayed (to tell them apart) and I'm using the "age" field as "use" is locked down.

I'd like to have the chainsaw make noise while idling and then more noise when sawing. In one game I'd got set up at a farm and there were very few zombies around; having a chainsaw to chop trees would have given me a headstart on carpentry.

I'd also like to be able to turn logs on the ground directly into planks so I don't need to pick them up. I think that's fairly realistic.

Oh, and the sounds are TERRIBLE. You've been warned.
(April 16, 2014 - changed from "Free for All" to "Credit Where It's Due")
MODS_02.png

Edited by lulu58e2

Weaponized! 

- More, easier damage

- Changed icon to hacksaw

- Tweaked for better zombie killing

- Attracts zombies more (louder)

- Heavier (harder to swing)

- RMB on inventory object for context menu (buggy if equipped ... fixed)

- Blood splatter!

Nice Mod! Is this final?

Thanks. :)  I've got lots I'd like to add to it so it's not finished. (If that's what you're asking?) 

Right now I'm working on making filling the chainsaw a timed action. I'd like to be able to chop up logs with it and repair it. I also need to set up the container distribution. Swinging should take more fuel. A sprite (and an icon?) would be nice. If I can I'd like to take away the "thunk" when sawing a tree (the chainsaw is an axe underneath). When the 3D modelling tools come out I'll need to look at making a model. 

I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

The latest code is always here: https://github.com/cwmaguire/pz_chainsaw_mod 

If you click on the "commits" link you can see what changes I've added and when (for those not familiar with Github or git).

• 3 weeks later...