Computers and Internet before power outage

LeoIvanov

We'll go simple in this one - I honestly can't imagine at this day and age to see areas in America or any other country that isn't poor without some kind of PC at home. It has became such a big thing for people that a lot of jobs require you to have a computer so you can get emails from it, etcetera.

What I thought of - have computers work as a reliable source of information while the electricity is still there (read as - electronic skill books, all in 1). As a bonus you can also watch some TV news on internet (same thing as what you're going to hear on TV/Radio broadcasts once those are also in), listen to music very loudly (attract zombies' attention) and maybe research info about zombie virus (some cool background story to do for our amazing writers).

Allow players to "download" digital books on the computer so once the internet blacks out (more on that further) you can still read them while the power is on. MAYBE also give the ability to people to have a "chat" function integrated, so you can find someone online in the same town that needs rescuing. Have it work as some kind of "quest" when NPCs are in, so you have a goal to make on your first days of survival. (all optional) And when you conclude where the said person is, you can investigate and find a person's house, and find him/her dead or alive.

Have the internet black out the same day TV and radio broadcasts black out, leaving you completely in the dark and cut off from any human contact or ability to read online skill books. However, still allow people to listen to offline songs at full volume and read offline skill books that you've managed to download.

While I have to agree that most homes in the US will have some sort of PC or tablet that can connect to the internet (however, I have been to WV and there are parts of WV where this is probably not true) I don't think the devs intended to have the game be based in current time (2014). I have read somewhere that it is supposed to be the 1990s (except that there are some flat screen TV sprites). This means for areas like Muldraugh and WP, few PCs with internet connection, and if they did have a connection it was most likely a 56k modem or lower connected to AOL. Remember how reliable that service was? Good luck downloading anything over 1mb!

What we don't know is how long phone substations would remain functioning or how long the servers for websites would remain functioning. The internet back then definitely isn't as robust as it is today. We don't know if other areas that are vital to the internet infrastructure are also in the midst of a zombie outbreak.

This doesn't mean that they don't have files on how to cook, do carpentry, or farm on the old school Apple IIci

In current times, I imagine the internet would remain functioning a lot longer than it would in the 90s. If I am wrong and the setting for the game is current times, then I really like your idea, it makes sense! I notice in areas like Bedford Falls, that there are only old CRT based TVs. I admit I haven't been everyone in Bedford Falls yet though so I could be wrong again.

It might actually be that the time the game is set in doesn't have a world wide, world wide web. Mash said that it is set in the past, so it isn't meant to represent the day and age today. Also, in my opinion, I think what you're suggesting doesn't really fit into the "spirit" of PZ. Lastly, it would probably be a hell to code a whole new interface for simulating the computers if they would be as intricate as you describe.

If it is set in the 90's then there're definitely no digital books etc.

Here's the quote:

I can't remember the exact year Will was thinking of, but PZ does indeed take place in the past, though not as far back as the 80s.  Those LCDs were done before I knew of the time period ;)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6871-what-time-period-roughly-does-project-zomboid-take-place/?p=89690

EDIT: slightly ninja'd by the captain

Now, I know the storyline is fuzzy, especially without the NPCs, but as far as I understood from Kate and Baldspot, something, probably the army, is blocking all communication in and out of the area the game is set in. Outside the game world everything keeps going on as normal, and they even mention something about showing the area on TV as "going on with their normal life", which means the rest of the world is completely unaware of what's going on inside the area. At least initially.

There should, however, be some computers around. And you should be able to "play games" on them to ease boredom. 

• 11 months later...