"unemployed" gives trait points to spend

Art Falmingaid

I am aware that there are many profession threads, but I found none with this specific suggestion.

The fire officer, police officer, park ranger, and construction worker all offer unique traits and no points to spend.  The "unemployed" profession should behave as if it were the custom profession choice and offer a fair amount of free trait points since it offers no other benefit.

I disagree with this. It isn't one bit realistic to have more points in my opinion. The reason why you get extra traits from professions is because you get experience from that field and the traits represent that. Now, if you don't have a profession you don't have that experience and while you might argue that if you're unemployed you have more time to train your skills, let's be honest and say in a large scale that doesn't really happen. . .(otherwise we'd have über fit, multilanguage, etc., survival expert, unemployed by the numbers)  Now if the hobby system, the devs have been talking about a while ago, comes out I would maybe allow for the unemployed to have 1 more hobby versus an employed one, in a sense that not all unemployed just sit on their asses.

Offtopic

Also I think it isn't really in the spirit of the suggestions forum to suggest things that would be done because a system isn't finished yet. Therefore there isn't really point in saying, as Crazy said: "Maybe you want different traits than what the current professions offer." If you do, suggest more professions, hobbies or traits rather than try to fix it by what would be a temporary fix and then an unfitting mechanic imo. Just my 2¢ on that subject though... And this is not me saying don't suggest these things, so please don't take offence, as I mean none! I'm not gonna continue on this!

I disagree with this. It isn't one bit realistic to have more points in my opinion. The reason why you get extra traits from professions is because you get experience from that field and the traits represent that. Now, if you don't have a profession you don't have that experience and while you might argue that if you're unemployed you have more time to train your skills, let's be honest and say in a large scale that doesn't really happen. . .(otherwise we'd have über fit, multilanguage, etc., survival expert, unemployed by the numbers)  Now if the hobby system, the devs have been talking about a while ago, comes out I would maybe allow for the unemployed to have 1 more hobby versus an employed one, in a sense that not all unemployed just sit on their asses.

I think it makes total sense to have points to spend, even if you're currently unemployed it does not mean you don't know anything, have any skills or traits that would be useful. 

Why should you have the benefit of a profession (free traits) if you choose the blank slate character? =/

I think the idea is more, you have initial points to spend on your character traits as opposed to unemployed having no bonus. I think it'd be a good idea personally, since you aren't forced to spend those points.

Of course; it is insane not to utilise trait points to their fullest. However, as some people choose unemployed for the exact reason of not having any traits at all, it wouldn't affect them at all as they aren't forced to use them. Meaning they can go back to their hardcore worlds.

I don't think OP is asking for an overpowered amount of points. And it's not like some professions won't be be inherently more useful than others in any given situation.

Two points to spend seems like a fair amount. It won't buy you the moon and you'll still have to take disadvantages if you want anything better than what that gives you.

I don't think OP is asking for an overpowered amount of points. And it's not like some professions won't be be inherently more useful than others in any given situation.

Two points to spend seems like a fair amount. It won't buy you the moon and you'll still have to take disadvantages if you want anything better than what that gives you.

Yes, this is it.

I never meant unemployed gets dozens of points to spend on whatever they want.  Unemployed could get just enough points to purchase the lower end traits.

3 points = brave, light eater, hardened drinker, or resilient

4 points = all of the above and patient, stout, lucky, and graceful

I don't think being able to choose just one of those is game breaking.  I think, if anything, just one of those isn't as good as any one of the profession's unique traits.

I still don't see the realism aspect here. There's no reason why an unemployed person should be able to get even two more points to let's say brave. If you don't want to be slightly "handicapped", don't choose the profession. I think a game mechanic that limits your character is usually better that a game mechanic than one that gives you more even if the point is not to have more.

I think of the unemployed trait as sort of a handicap value against other players and mainly an RP element. And tbh I don't like RP mechanics that imply that they aren't as good as others and then give you an advantage which "you don't have to take". However, as I said this mostly bugs me because of the traits. I don't think they are in any way or form connected to the profession. So as I said I think it would be better to wait until the hobby system is introduced and see if the extra point(s) would fit there, if balance is what you guys are after.  If it doesn't and if it needs balancing because of reasons then sure, but let's not rush.

Don't be so impatient. People. :Pand tbh this is tweaking, which should be left to later development anyways imo.

EDIT: I like a game to have at least one "bad" template to choose from that does not say that because you chose a bad character here's some bonus points for you.

There are literally hundreds of possible jobs that could fit the hard mode roleplaying experience better than unemployed. Like a Bank Teller. Or an Accountant. Or a Gas Station Attendant. An unemployed character, on the other hand, is someone who is probably aspiring to something greater. Someone who is probably training themselves up in any way they can in the hopes of finding a job.

Either that or they're a stereotypical drunk redneck who has no need for your fancy "jobs" and "book learnings" who is probably skilled with guns and very good at handling his whiskey.

But seriously. Unemployed feels like it'd be better off being the "mix and match" of professions rather than being relegated to the hard mode section since, like I said, there are a whole bunch of other possibilities that would work better when it comes to giving yourself an artificial handicap. Convenience Store Clerk is a plausible, realistic choice since most people have probably done a stint working in a convenience store and it's not really the kind of job that would give you any sort of useful skill sets.

I still don't see the realism aspect here. There's no reason why an unemployed person should be able to get even two more points to let's say brave. If you don't want to be slightly "handicapped", don't choose the profession.\

EDIT: I like a game to have at least one "bad" template to choose from that does not say that because you chose a bad character here's some bonus points for you.

Currently, you must choose unemployed or a profession then take negative traits in order to acquire positive traits.  Why not have the option of a starting profession that does not come prepackaged with specific traits but allows the choice of a some of the lower end ones?

I do, however, agree with the need for a blank template that offers the choice of no traits, but if someone is going to handicap themselves on purpose, why not just make it so they are not required to take traits if they don't want them?

I still feel "unemployed" is the best option to cover both.

LordSquirrel is right, its to be more of a challenge. With that being said i made a modification that might interest you. Here is a link

If i use this mod during online...will I get disconnected or game mismatch?

Nope it works online. But its not really a mod its an edit. Also i wouldn't use it in a pvp server because it would be cheating more or less.

LordSquirrel is right, its to be more of a challenge. With that being said i made a modification that might interest you. Here is a link

Nope it works online. But its not really a mod its an edit. Also i wouldn't use it in a pvp server because it would be cheating more or less.

Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

But how would you know if that member is cheating or using a mod? or for example zSpawn, or necro errrr?

Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

But how would you know if that member is cheating or using a mod? or for example zSpawn, or necro errrr?

Because both of them lag the server bad. Those kinda mods should be uninstalled before playing online. Mine doesn't add things to the game just changes who gets the perks. Item spawners are pointless online, kinda ruins the game a bit. I use them in single player only to test stuff.