Microphone speak chat

Thepurplerhino

Buuuuut. There is still the problem of coming across a stranger (a player whom you havent established TeamSpeak with) and being limited to typing communication.

Also, if microphone speak were implemented, it would be super cool to link the decibels of the microphone speak to the in-game potential of zombies hearing you.

I think there was a topic about this a week or two ago; the consensus seemed to be that having whiny kids dominiting mic chat would ruin the atmosphere of the game (as well as any attempt to roleplay a character).

I for one would like to see voice chat implemented, but by invite only, so instead of having a single channel for server-wide chat you can only talk with people who actually want to hear you.

It's been brought up several times now. The idea of a global chat has pretty much been shut down. No one wants to hear people complain that they were "just killed unfairly" and "want there stuff back" over and over. It ruins immersion and any attempt at role playing.

Now maybe the ability to find a radio and use it as a way to "establish" communication with other survivors across the world could work. Which I believe is something that has also already been brought up.

Your best chance as of now? If communicating with friends (Skype, Teamspeak, mumble) if not. Maybe set a keyboard macro up to say "Hey, I'm friendly" or "are you friendly?" So it's just one simple key press and your good.

Don't know how to set up macros? Googles your best friend :)

WTF!? o.O  Are you all crazy or something?

In-game Voice chat is IMO critical for MP, and there doesn't need to be a 'global' voice chat. If anything it could be an option for the server admin to turn off. Third-party programs don't support positional audio or the random player on an open server.

Having this built-in would drastically increase the immersion and realism. I haven't really run into any 'squeekers' in this game yet, but why should the rest of us suffer just because there might be a few of em? If they are annoying then admins can ban them or mute them or something. It's not an MMO or a console shooter where no one can do anything about it. And why would you ever hear a player who is dead? If that's even possible then it's not implemented right. Dead people can't talk. Nor can people magically be heard around the world when they talk. As long as it's implemented in a realistic way then none of those problems would even be problems.

Macros are not the same as actually hearing someone. You can't befriend or build trust with text on a screen. It goes without saying that having to stop and type is detrimental to any coordinated efforts. Especially in a survival situation where taking your hand off the mouse can get you killed.

There are also a few solutions available (not sure about for java though) that may not require much effort to implement.

In-game voice chat is a very very common thing in good multiplayer games. It's something that can benefit many, and those who don't want it can turn it off. And it would be extremely fitting for this game.

Any arguments against it are very heavily outweighed by the reasons that make it essential. I'm a bit outraged at the thought that this wasn't a planned feature as soon as multiplayer was even considered.

Or . . . you could use team speak (and other alternatives) and save them the need to add this essential feature. =/

Third-party programs don't support positional audio or the random player on an open server.

I would assume that they wouldn't implement it at all if that were the case, because you are right, there wouldn't be any point.

I can go into detail regarding the very important differences to gameplay when considering in-game versus third-party voice chat if you need me to. But immediately dismissing valid points isn't really good for discussion.

Edit: Another option instead of implementing their own voice chat system, they could work with Mumble to use the positional-audio features it supports. I'm not sure of the inner workings of it all, but if the player position data can be passed to it then that would at least be a step in the right direction. If it can also adjust the volume along with the position and ignore players too far away then it would work perfectly. And if the game itself is passing that data along they could just have dead players be positioned too far away for anyone to hear too. I know mumble supports plugins but they are coded with C++ which I'm not good with, and they would have to basically 'hack' the position information from memory. That would mean every game update would require a plugin update, and game state considerations such as deaths, sleeping, not being in the game, ect. would not be possible.

I still feel that implementing proper in-game voice chat (similar to ARMA/DayZ, PlanetSide2, and others) would be most beneficial.

A quick search revealed at least a couple of audio codec wrappers for Java too, but further research would be needed of course.