Another Sprites Thread

Sangennaru

Hello everyone!
inspired by Doublebrain i started to do some sprite work as well, starting from 3ds i speed sculpted. 

I did some experiment to upload them on my buildings, but for the moment i'm just doing them and waiting for the (hopefully) upcoming update... otherwise it will be nice to have them for my games nonetheless! 

I'll put here some images, but still i don't have figured out the best way to create the larger file... probably i'll need to write a small program in c++ if there's no another one! 

10pu97k.png 10shraq.png

27zocg.png ayvhas.png

impressions? they look pretty well near to the official ones, but some parts can be worked to have less antialiasing, maybe! The function "Posterize" from Photoshop might do the work!

Well, for i've been playing only since this week, i'll take your "preferences" very seriously.
Luckly, once i've got the 3d model i can make new sprites quickly changing the lights in the scene. Hopefully i'll reduce the fade in the colors!

Now i need suggestions for other sprites that might be good! I'd love to make a japanese town, so i'd start with some sets: comic book store? Apartments? Konbini? what else? 

Very cool! :)

Well I think if you're going with a traditional japanese style the most defining thing you could do are the slightly curved roofs and the paperlike walls with the wooden support. Those in a few colors will fare pretty far I think. I know there's probably about a million more knowledgeable than me, on the subject, so I can't really say anything that special about it, in the fear of saying something that's totally not true. :P If you're going for a more modern style, I'd just make a hell of a lot of banners, light signs and posters to emulate that trafficy feel they sometimes have. After that I think it's more just maintaining the architectural style of lot's of cramped spaces and high buildings, which can mostly be accomplished with the existing tilesets and tools.

Maybe for the sligthly trashier neighborhoods you could create powerlines and all sorts of dangling things like that? :D I know I've seen a picture or two where there's just a tight little street with lots of signs and powerlines going about in every direction over it. It would be a great resource for the whole community too. :)

If you're interested in metros, ask Jela331, I think he did some in his Rebuild project. He might be able to send a few tbx in your way!

Thanks! The style i was aiming for was a modern one, because as you said the squared architecture achievable with the engine is quite perfect for a modern japan. 
I'm already working on the signs, but i need to pratice more before being able to make good looking signs. The overall final look of the building should be, as you said, horrible flat buildings full of signs!

for the cables... those are mandatory! but i don't really know how i can make them! If you want to make a joint venture, i can provide you the mid-res isometric images and i will leave to you the splitting!

I would love to help, but I'm a bit busy with the map project we're doing so I can't really split any time for that kind of stuff, sorry. :( Maybe if I get bored and have some creative time, I'll take a crack at those powerlines, but I can't really promise anything.

Perfectly understandable, and your map is super-cool! 

I might think to learn how to render multiple-tiled objects...is it possible to make 2 levels and multiple tiles together?

Ok, i need experts' opinions

34q8h9f.png

the base area is 13 x 2. 
On the base level (0) only three squares are occupied, in the upper level (1) there will be a lot of cables, and they will disappear when the player approaches them. The cables will be drawn in photoshop after the rendering.

Is it reasonable or is it too crazy?

I would say its somewhere between "a little too much 3d" and "fits pretty much the PZ style". It looks better than I expected after all. Its mostly the shadows that need some work but after that I can totaly see it being used in the game. Good job!

Thanks for the comments, they keep me motivated!

i perfectly understand what you all mean when saying that they are not enough PZ-like.

However, i would like to reduce to minimum the non-automatic work there, since the automatization can guarantee more uniformity in the style and saves time as well.

5plzf4.png

I tried to apply the "poster edge" filter from photoshop, but i'm not sure it's the best solution! comments and suggestions?

AH, obviously i intend to add a LOT of cables between the poles. I will have to re-do the rendering, but i'll make the poles and the cables as separated prites!

cheers

Jack

needs to be a little dusty/darker similar to the dumpsters,cardboard boxes or trash cans that you have in your picture but the map editor can do it just fine.....

something like this?

11twkzl.png

Be honest and mercyless... all the time spent now will be a good investment for the future!

EDIT: To show the differences i've uploaded another pic:

25tdlon.png

Cheers

Jack

needs to be a little dusty/darker similar to the dumpsters,cardboard boxes or trash cans that you have in your picture but the map editor can do it just fine.....

something like this?

11twkzl.png

Be honest and mercyless... all the time spent now will be a good investment for the future!

EDIT: To show the differences i've uploaded another pic:

25tdlon.png

Cheers

Jack

The 2nd and 3rd photos look quite perfect. Fits the PZ styling. :)