Campfire Modifications

Kajin

Old Embers. It should be possible to reignite a fire using old embers from the previous day's fire. Old embers hide underneath the ashes, staying warm because of the ash blanketing them. Stir the ash around a bit to expose them and add some dry grass, some ripped bandages or torn up papers to get it going. Then add your choice of fuel and boom! Fire ready to go without an ignition source. Should be viable for up to a day or two since the previous fire, but no longer than that.

Chopping Firewood. After you get the log into your inventory, right click it and select "Split Wood". If you've got an axe on your character, it splits the wood into four smaller pieces of firewood that should burn for a fair length of time. I suggest this because putting a whole log onto a fire is a bit wasteful. It burns bright and hot but goes through the fuel faster as a result. By splitting the log into firewood, you can get smaller, more manageable fires that last for a longer time. Should also be easier to cook on them because the heat output is more manageable. Less likely to burn food.

Stacks of Firewood. After you split logs into firewood, you should be able to use them to build a "Stack of Firewood". It's pretty much a storage unit, but exclusively for firewood. Place it a space or two away from your source of fire (right now that's just a campfire, but may expand to include other things like brick ovens, fireplaces, and smokehouses). If you have a" Stack of Firewood" within a couple blocks of a source of fire, you can then right click an ongoing fire and select the option "Add Firewood from Stack". This makes your character pull a piece of firewood from the nearby stack and throw it on the fire without having to juggle it around your inventory. Make things easier and more streamlined.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Had an idle thought a little while ago and figured it wasn't huge enough to get its own thread, so I felt it better if I added it to this old thread of mine that's sort of relevant. When cutting down trees for firewood, you should be able to chop a tree trunk into a number of various sections that can then be worked on further to be split into firewood. A medium sized tree should get anywhere between six to twelve sections of wood and each section can be split into a number of pieces of firewood.