Implementing custom 3D models in PZ?

RAINBOW

Hey, I'm hoping to develop a persistent world using PZ.

I can make 3D models in SoftimageXSI, 3DS max or Autodesk Maya.  I've some questions:

1.  Where can I find -any- tutorial on implementing custom 3D models for NPC's in PZ? (I've trawled the forum, but I'm fairly new to PZ)

2.  What file format are you guys using? (i.e ".obj", ".x" etc)

3.  What are some relevant 'events' to NPC creation in PZ.

Thanks guys

EDIT: I'm making a small forest "Testing" area, so I can start making my Animal NPC's, such as cotton tails and deer, implementing a need for red meat will be fun!

I'm sorry to say that implementing your own 3D models is impossible atm. The current file format is made by the team and therefore basicly uneditable with any tools that we have access. However, the devs will be giving us specific modding tools to add anims, sprites etc. at some point in the future.

Check this post for a few dev comments on the subject: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7185-3d-models-d/

EDIT: We will likely get specific tools for NPC editing too at some point.

Suomiboi,

Thanks for the deft response! 

I'll put the 3D modelling on the back burner, until I can safely do some work on them, no point starting if Directx or 3DS models aren't going to be able to be converted into pz format.  Pretty sure they use a cel shader in Project Zomboids rendering to make things look comic stylised.  I was hoping the first thing I would mod into Project Zomboid would be some rabbit animals with limited AI-  But it can wait.  

I also hope that the 3d tools are released soon (I think it is actually just a converter anyway :P).

Not too sure about the cell shader. I think they actually draw the textures like that on the models ... you probably can check them out in the source files somewhere.

Last but not least: Rabbits are planned and already being worked on. I'd love to see some birds instead ;)

I feel if we put our heads together we could crack this code. Though a modding tool for 3D animations would be nice and super convenient, I really just want to be the typical person I am and jump the gun rushing head on into something I barely understand in an attempt to accomplish it!  :P

But really there's some 3D models I want to add in a mod I plan on working on and I'm inpatient. There must. be. a way!  

Ill keep looking into it  ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of stuff needing added first though, as a coder there are definately things there that are higher priority for them.  Sucks.  But it is smart.

There are lots of things missing in the code, let's not jump the gun, our time can be spent better while we wait.  At least that's my opinion.  I haven't even got a 'proper' website up for my server yet, or an IRC channel... (Did you know there are custom functions in PZ that hook into our IRC channels? Fucking awesome.  )  I've got two guys learning the map editor making stuff but I'm busy learning lua.  

Phuket, I'm going to take a stab, and guess that you are revamping the game into something completely different?

I'm glad directX is the format that models are being used in PZ tho.  That is the best supported in all the 3D modelling programs for export/import.  

• 1 year later...

I know I am necroing a thread here, but this is one of the top of the google results when it comes to adding custom 3D models into zomboid.  Has anyone found a way yet?  I have so many ideas and resources and can't use any of them as zomboid seems to use some crazy text format with it's models that doesn't make any sense.

I mean I guess from the looks of it each number might be a different vertex position making it possible to create custom models with it if you take each vert's X,Y,Z and copy them into there, but that seems like the absolute most tedious thing you can possibly do.

post-17847-0-42824400-1434324023_thumb.p

Condolences.

Like most things, you can save yourself a great deal of time and hassle by asking the community before "wasting" your time.

The game is still in its infancy as far as support for custom 3D assets are concerned. But you'll still see various projects on the forum relating to them, including one posted just four minutes after your initial reply (and little over an hour before you summarily quit).

Copy vertexes manually. That's a good one.

Condolences.

Like most things, you can save yourself a great deal of time and hassle by asking the community before "wasting" your time.

The game is still in its infancy as far as support for custom 3D assets are concerned. But you'll still see various projects on the forum relating to them, including one posted just four minutes after your initial reply (and little over an hour before you summarily quit).

Copy vertexes manually. That's a good one.

Sorries, I just got a bit frustrated trying to make something while I had a very interesting idea still in my mind.  Perhaps one day I shall be able to make zomboid into the ultimate D&D, or star trek, or whatever experience through the power of modding.

And copying vertexes manually is completely possible mind you.

Also, huzzah for you Jab!  That's exactly what I needed.