--- The Box ---

Preacher

Hello, I am a person who likes to think of things with my brain occasionally. Sometimes I don't and it ends up with me shooting pies out of my star gazing eyes into the abyss of... fruit loops. My writing skills might be off anyhow, I have a perfectly good excuse for that, that I can disclose never :D.

ANY WHO - I am just going to use 'The Box' to put down my thoughts for the game. I will be going over what I already sent to the Dev/Dev's in more detail, so it's not plagiaris. Just so you get the idea that me and Mr Emailer are the same guy.

- Concept Number One -

The Big Bad Looting System + Zombies.

Essential Raw Idea: Certain kinds of loot respawn automatically and server hosts are given the option to manually reset all non player containers to add loot to them. Server hosts will also be given the option POSSIBLY to modify the percentage of loot that spawns on their server and other things adjacent to that so as to let each server host create a custom experience for a player. Although this would involve knowing how to code, so not everyone would be able to change the variables for loot!

Also if you could have area's that constantly spawn zombies that'd be great, so they can migrate from a specific zone. If in future you could give administrators on server or hosts the ability to spawn more zombies in an area or trigger a horde event that just gets all the zombies in the area collectively moving forward towards something.

Purpose:

Currently, the system for looting involves restarting the server or replacing ALL containers with items. Now the thing is, people can't leave the town. They can't, the map stops them. A giant invisible wall stops you from leaving this place to find other better places that might have friendlier people or more loot to scavenge. So since they can't leave for more loot if there is none and they are stuck here, what do we do about that? Well you make it so they don't feel like they want to jump out of the god forsaken empty looted town their in and have loot respawn.

I know personally and many of my friends know the frustration of going around seeing empty containers and dead zombies, EVERYWHERE. We basically all gave up on multiplayer because of this, which is why I think it's super important. I know it's in development and it's super early access for multiplayer, but all I can think of is "If the Dev's fixed this one problem, multiplayer would b e an absolute blast".

Extra Reasoning:

I know it's not like every container will be empty, but I don't want to run around the town for 30 minutes looking for the containers that other players missed or just couldn't be fucked completely looting. I don't want to be forced to raid and kill other players for items, because I didn't join PZ so I could get a Day Z experience. I go on DayZ when I feel like shooting people like it's a game of call of duty, that's where you go to do bandit shit and feed people bloody rotten banana's. This place, is the sole haven of proper RPG gameplay. I want to survive, scavenge, build and figure out which way the zombies are coming from. I want to look through containers and find something, not sprint around the bloody map admiring all the empty cupboards and zombie bodies littering the streets.

You all get the idea. Even though we could technically farm, hunt or forage in future, it's only enough for food. If you want a gun basically right now, the only way to get it is to kill someone, which encourages banditry. I want go on a multiplayer map and have a good feeling that people aren't all bandits.

Notes:

- Concept Number Two -

Hobbies

Essential Raw Idea:

IMPORTANT BLOODY THING. I RECOMMEND MAXING IT OUT AT 1-3 HOBBIES PER CHARACTER OR BETTER YET, STICK WITH 2.

So what came to mind is that everyone is like a blank slate of paper. People are like... empty books with only their jobs in their heads. It's like all this guy ever did in his ENTIRE life was be a fire man. Me Fire Man, me good swing, me axe man! No, we are PEOPLE! So we all have our hobbies, we all have lives outside of our jobs. Mine involves martial arts, writing and consultancy of mods. But you get it, there's something bloody there. So here's some examples of what you'd put in:

Martial Artist:

-Deals damage when pushing.

-Overall melee damage is increased for a small amount(Like maybe a tiny, tiny amount. But I keep thinking, if you learned how to kill people with your bare hands, I'm sure you'd be a little better at swinging an axe.).

-Pushes for a further distance.

Gym Junkie:

-Deal extra damage when using a melee weapon.

-Loses food bars faster.

-Loses stamina at a slightly slower rate.

Book Worm:

- Read books at a very fast rate.

- Double effect when reading a book(In terms of boredom, it's like saying this book is going to essentially heal your 'boredom' twice as much now.)

Student:

- Learns all proficiencies at a rate of 10 percent faster.

- Takes 20 percent longer to read books.

Purpose:

It creates more... story to a person. It emphasizes that we had lives, that we aren't just defined by our professions. That people did things, that they explored pathways. Instead of just having a few professions, have hobbies. They're easy as hell and don't require anything too advanced. The benefits are small, but they make enough difference that you kind of have to think of what your hobbies are for the character. Given enough hobbies, you'd need to decide how to build your character. You could build him as intelligent and have him progress faster with proficiency, while having him as a Book Worm.

Extra Reasoning:

Notes:

Hm... that's quite the suggestion so I only skimmed it. I'm not a fan of respawning loot, to be honest; it's too... jarring from reality. Certainly it's going/is difficult with multiplayer and the maps becoming stripped down quickly, but that's where I'm hoping features for sustainability come in. You know, farming, bartering etc. With the guns... that's probably a good thing, since guns most definitely shouldn't be common, and most players learn pretty quickly firearms are a recipe for disaster. A good baseball bat is far more effective, in my opinion. ;)

Zombie spawning will come

procedural maps would solve the loot problem. it would also solve the "no more zombies " problem, as it would "area is barren, why stay here" problem.

migrating hordes would mean you HAVE to migrate too to get out of the way. 

it would also give the chance to move your band of survivors to "uncharted" territories to hide from bandits and gangs and such...

would be a great touch... 

I assume i it won´t be doable with the current game engine, but, it would solve all those problems.

The maps large enough, it's just really loot honestly. The fact is you can't rely people to ACTUALLY trade. But the fact is IRL if this actually happened. Not EVERY single bloody cupboard in the known universe would be stripped down. If it was, then people would just straight up leave the town because of the fact that they can't even find pillows. Loot spawning does this, ALSO:

farming

^This requires some tools, prior knowledge and it takes time. On top of this you need land and you need to actually want to do it. But for this, it only covers food. Some people play zombie games for the scavenging element, like myself. If I was forced to do farming and bartering(Which would result 9 times out of 10 with me getting shotgunned in the face) I would just not play this game. Like honestly, I'd figuratively throw the digital copy out a window. Farming is only fun with friends and it's not possible if everything is already looted. Now I'm not going to hope that Bob the Hoarder is going to trade with me and give me some things I need in exchange for some potato's and a pillow.

This is coming from years of modding with Gmod by the way. Designing the proper system for entertainment ALWAYS required a loot spawn, quite honestly, it never did well without it. It was a great way to encourage people to search and move around, it gave you lots to do and meant you didn't have to rely on banditry, constant trading and majorly passive work. Scavenging adds a whole new element, if done correctly in any game, it's an amazing experience. That experience so far only lasts for the first 10-40 minutes the server starts up.

Right now, without the loot spawn, I don't really see myself wanting to do multiplayer at all. Singleplayer is fine for the reason that you are the only person really looting, but multiplayer... there's like 17 other players on at the same time. Server's probably been up for like hours, so the chances of you ever finding anything is like null.

I think you miss the point that the game is still in an early developpement stage and misses some important planned features such as hunting/trapping, fishing, Z migration system, food canning/conservation etc...

Like those are good "temporary" suggestions considering the "meta-game" will change A LOT in the future.

About loot spawning, I think servers with a large number of players should just start with a shitload of loot, like enough to make people unable to grab everything and force them to choose wisely. Some items will be added or changed to have different uses as well : trowel won't be the only item capable of digging the earth anymore, same goes for the saw not being the only one capable of making planks.

Tho there is on item that should be found in epic quantity in certain places : nails (and screws in the future). Some places like a far construction site, or the logging corp. or a nail factory or I don't know where... a place with bottomless nail containers at the end of a long and dangerous path. For now nails are pretty light and easy to hoard, and they're as well precious, nails hoarders will hold on to their 15 boxes of nails like their own life, and they'll probably end up dead before they could use one third of their stash. It's like capitalism all over again.

The whole "Lets just make everything spawn with LOADS of loot at the start." is quite honestly... not going to work. That kind of destroys an element of scavenging and scarcity. Loot respawning would still mean things are scarce, but having the server start with tons of loot is kind of like saying "Grab as much as you can.". Also, how does a server host determine how many players are going to be on? Honestly, if you just had loot respawn, it would be fine. I get you think that having loads of loot just spawn on start might work, but I'm telling you, it just won't.

Well actually players do play thinking "grab as much as you can". That's why back when it was open on the mindescape server, with 32 slots, the server was getting emptied of any valuable loot pretty fast : after an irl day you had to scavenge and search carefully to find anything consumable and useful, after a couple of days you couldn't find anything much than rotten food and a few occasional dogfood cans. Most people are hoarding everythingn, making it scarce from the start won't change that fact, it would just get emptied even faster.

So yeah the scarcity factor comes in pretty quickly on large servers anyway ! Hence a large amount of loot needed at the beginning. Plus, when servers will be persistent and won't need any kind of reset like we do now, scarcity will be a real thing, not respawning loot in container is precisely to keep it that way.

It's not exactly what you're describing in your op, but loot respawning already happens in zeds inventory ! It's not balanced yet since you mostly find empty bags, pistols, axes, ammos, baseball bats and misc items right no... but I can imagine we might find some canned food someday and other kind of items.

Also, how does a server host determine how many players are going to be on?

Well, someone hosting a public server knows there probably will be a lot of players, the number of open slots is an indication as well. Someone hosting a whitelisted server knows precisely how many people play on their server. Adjusting wouldn't be that hard after a couple of tries.

What about those who want to play a map with runners? Are you saying that we need to risk our characters just to find some loot by killing dangerous infected? I want to sneak from house to house, emptying the cupboards and hoping that none of the sprinters outside can hear me. Moving along with my friends at a slow pace. Not dashing around smashing zombies with a club and spamming left click on every cudboard/body I can find in the hopes that I'll find something that isn't clothes.

my 2 cent: 

if we start right after the apocalypse (in multiplayer the server timeline starts right at that point) the "loot is plentiful" approach is

exactly what should be done.

the longer the server runs, the more precious loot will become.

the more time passes on the server timeline, the more precious certain items, and skilled characters will become.

for "new characters", the onyl way to stand a chance when joining such an "older " server would be to join existing bands and groups,

or to migrate to new territory. 

and no, I don´t think the maps are big enough as they are now. 

I really think that a way to extend the map on the fly (procedural as the optimal system) would help in that regard.

the time variables will of course get passed on to the new map parts. zombies will have migrated there already, perishable food will be rotten already. 

maybe loot  scarcity needs a finer scale. imagine the starting ,ap / area at server start as an area of abundance for loot. the the players in this area are the factor that dtermines loot abundancy. more player = less loot to be found as it is now. 

if new map parts are opened and explored, the loot abundancy is determined by the timeframe and vraiable of the server. 

so starting the server and running straight into foreign parts of the new generetaed map will produce another are right after thr apocalypse = lots of loot. 

if you clear the starter area first and live there for a while , then migrate later , the loot will be signifcantly less abundant, to simulate other people scavenging. so you increase the chance to find new loot by introducing new areas. which in fact would be the most realistic way , at least the way I see it. 

What about those who want to play a map with runners? Are you saying that we need to risk our characters just to find some loot by killing dangerous infected? I want to sneak from house to house, emptying the cupboards and hoping that none of the sprinters outside can hear me. Moving along with my friends at a slow pace. Not dashing around smashing zombies with a club and spamming left click on every cudboard/body I can find in the hopes that I'll find something that isn't clothes.

If players want to play maps with runners they're free to do so, if people want to sneak from houses to houses and empty cupboards they're free to do so as well, that's still not viable reasons to add loot spawning in containers/cupboards.

If loot respawns, it makes farming / hunting / fishing / food conservation / FACTUAL scarcity totally useless, they don't want scarcity to be simulated, they want scarcity of "pre-apocalyptic" ressources to become an actual fact. If loot would respawn, you could pretty much live in the same street forever, clear the zombies and keep scavenging the same houses until the end of times.

my 2 cent: 

if we start right after the apocalypse (in multiplayer the server timeline starts right at that point) the "loot is plentiful" approach is

the more time passes on the server timeline, the more precious certain items, and skilled characters will become.

for "new characters", the onyl way to stand a chance when joining such an "older " server would be to join existing bands and groups,

I really think that a way to extend the map on the fly (procedural as the optimal system) would help in that regard.

the time variables will of course get passed on to the new map parts. zombies will have migrated there already, perishable food will be rotten already. 

maybe loot  scarcity needs a finer scale. imagine the starting ,ap / area at server start as an area of abundance for loot. the the players in this area are the factor that dtermines loot abundancy. more player = less loot to be found as it is now. 

if new map parts are opened and explored, the loot abundancy is determined by the timeframe and vraiable of the server. 

so starting the server and running straight into foreign parts of the new generetaed map will produce another are right after thr apocalypse = lots of loot. 

if you clear the starter area first and live there for a while , then migrate later , the loot will be signifcantly less abundant, to simulate other people scavenging. so you increase the chance to find new loot by introducing new areas. which in fact would be the most realistic way , at least the way I see it. 

I'm sorry but, please don't comment here. Feel free to contribute in a year :D.

If players want to play maps with runners they're free to do so, if people want to sneak from houses to houses and empty cupboards they're free to do so as well, that's still not viable reasons to add loot spawning in containers/cupboards.

If loot respawns, it makes farming / hunting / fishing / food conservation / FACTUAL scarcity totally useless, they don't want scarcity to be simulated, they want scarcity of "pre-apocalyptic" ressources to become an actual fact. If loot would respawn, you could pretty much live in the same street forever, clear the zombies and keep scavenging the same houses until the end of times.

That's so easy to fix though. Just have long lasting food like MRE"s as the only thing that spawns and have them extremely rare. I mean variables are a huge option. For a mod I was on, I could rec things to the dev to change. Like "Hey dude, X item spawns way too much." Then bam! He changes the variable for how often it spawns and where. It's not really hard.

If you think food should spawn at a certain rate, then you do so. If you don't want an item to be spawned after start, then you don't include it. Things that spawn after the server is on should be things that are unable to be crafted, like MRE's(Very Rare) and general items. I mean no matter what, you cannot craft a gun or anything in that sense. I don't even think we can craft melee weapons.

So therefore they need to spawn, because if you just have a one time only spawn on a server that could be running for hours. Then you deprive all the new joiners of ANY loot and also force possible starvation because of the fact that everything is gone. Also if you say "Oh we can just have loot only spawn on zombie corpses." You take away the element of fear, because instead of people searching houses. They'll be running around bashing zombies and searching corpses. Aren't we meant to fear the undead? Not see them as walking shopping bags?

Point and close.

That's life ;) . I would be glad if money respawns in my wallet :D

If houses are already looted, then you have to live with it also if the last nonperishable food were eaten. If the last fueltanks are used up, then there will be no fuel at all.

It's survival to wander around and see if you find something useful, that isn't already looted. If you're lucky you'll live some days longer than those who are unlucky and find nothing. So you have either follow a group of people who have the gear to survive on their own, or travel to unlooted zombie infested regions and gather yourself the gear you need to survive alone.

This is my opinion :)

That's so easy to fix though. Just have long lasting food like MRE"s as the only thing that spawns and have them extremely rare. I mean variables are a huge option. For a mod I was on, I could rec things to the dev to change. Like "Hey dude, X item spawns way too much." Then bam! He changes the variable for how often it spawns and where. It's not really hard.

But that's not what TIS devs are aiming for ! That doesn't make sense in their general approach of their game.

if you think food should spawn at a certain rate, then you do so. If you don't want an item to be spawned after start, then you don't include it. Things that spawn after the server is on should be things that are unable to be crafted, like MRE's(Very Rare) and general items. I mean no matter what, you cannot craft a gun or anything in that sense. I don't even think we can craft melee weapons.

Realistically, after all industrial activity stopped working, MRE won't be found once everything is consumed, they wouldn't spawn magically from nowhere. This is a "zombie apocalypse simulator", "this is how you died", if you reach a point where no pre-apocalyptic food is left and you're unable to provide for yourself, well you die.

Guns cannot be crafted but they can be found on zombies, or on a dead survivor's corpse and some melee weapons will be craftable !

So therefore they need to spawn, because if you just have a one time only spawn on a server that could be running for hours. Then you deprive all the new joiners of ANY loot and also force possible starvation because of the fact that everything is gone. Also if you say "Oh we can just have loot only spawn on zombie corpses." You take away the element of fear, because instead of people searching houses. They'll be running around bashing zombies and searching corpses. Aren't we meant to fear the undead? Not see them as walking shopping bags?

Not only for hours, for days, weeks or months ;o

A post-apocalyptic world is a harsh place, I DO hope many will die from starvation, dehydratation, diseases and such, because everything IS gone... especially after houses got raided by many different groups. That's exactly when it gets to be interesting ! New commers would either have to find a nice group, and if they're alone for a while they'll have to find some remaining rotten food, dogfood, dead rats, berries, search dead corpses along their road, drink from nasty puddles or in rivers, trying to survive until the end of the day. Plus there already is a feature to help new comers, admin can choose what items new commers will spawn with (or none at all, which is better).

And in EXTREME cases, no need for a loot respawn system, admins can do it manually and even had some RP. Like spawn a bag with an entire "survivalist inventory" in an abandonned safehouse, or in the middle of a a horde etc... Makes much more sense than items respawning from nowhere.

Also, what's taking away the element of fear isn't loot on zombies, it's the fact zombies are actually not much of a threat because of the combat system being to easy, the developpers themselves said it. When the combat is up to everyone's expectations and zombies are a real threat, you'd better search houses and avoid zombies ! And if your desperate and spot a zombie with a bag (when the feature's in), well you can risk your life and try your luck. You're not supposed to fear zed (well yeah they're ugly and smell bad), you're supposed to fear for your life !

Being munched to death or dying of starvation ? you choose ;o

Plus, when you consider the map expending, it will be gigantic, people will have many space to search for loot.

I haven't read all of this thread, but just wanted to note that hobbies are a thing that we plan to add at some point :)

do you mean good hobbies, like going around and clipping the nails of dead zombies, then using them to construct an altar of some sort? or maybe building a throne of all the shoes you find on zombies? or perhaps even lining up all the food in your fridge according to attractiveness? also doing that with the non perishables in the cabinets?

my 2 cent: 

I'm sorry but, please don't comment here. Feel free to contribute in a year :D.

I thought this an open discussion ? or did I miss some hidden sarcasm ? 

Just a couple of ideas.

Searching Containers

About respawning items. Maybe there could be some sort of finding mekanism. So that you have a chance to find something that the other players characters had overlooked by researching a container for a time penalty. I think it's unrealistic that the player can open a box or a fridge and in the matter of miliseconds get a detailed list of what is inside it. 

Instead there you could have a chance of finding stuff after it has been looted to allow some kind of chance to newcommers, but make it unworth it for the horders because they already have most of the stuff.

This will of course only delay the effect as in the end it will take too long to search a container or alternativly you can't research containers too many times.

Craftables without tools

I think that things like the fact that you need a trowel to dig etc is the most crucial flaw to the "survive of the nature" system right now. And this will be fixed in future updates for sure. There will probably be possibilities to craft your own fishing rod out of raw materials etc.

But I think the devs should take it a step further. To allow players to craft things without perfect tools, or tools at all, but with a great penalty. I'm thinking in the lines of scouts, being able to survive in the wilderness without ANYTHING AT ALL. Not just being able to survive without a fire axe and a shotgun. 

Flint and tinder, sharp metal pieces, stones. A desperate person should be able to use any kind of tools or even his bare hands if his/her life depends on it.

Hobbies and starter items

I like the idea and as we just got informed the devs already have it planned. I would like to add one thing thou. Maybe add starting kits depending on your former profession and hobbie. Maybe add a knuckle fist thing for the martial arts dude, a fishing rod for the fisherman etc etc... That would give the fresh player a head start from the beginning and let him/her choose which playstyle they want to play. 

• 2 weeks later...

@psykikk

The way you conveyed your idea and the idea itself tells me you shouldn't be contributing to this thread. I said it's open discussion, but more or less, I want proper discussion. A lot of what I want here is a good flow of ideology, not everyone's great with that. Bad discussion or bad relayment of an idea clutters the thread and confuses people. I mean here's something to think about.

Check List:

1. Is it literate? - It's not as simple as did you spell the words correctly, if your sentences don't flow or your message is fractured. It wont be conveyed properly and more importantly, it just wont stick.

2. Is it possible for developers? - Just about anything is possible in Lua for this game, but there are limitations.

3. How important is it? - Most people don't comprehend how long it takes to code something. I mean, you really need to convince people that it's really worth spending 30-40 minutes inputting your idea. Some ideas might be massive, they could take hours, days even. If it's big, it better be crucial, is my rule.

4, Criticize - Look at what you created, imagine it being put into creation. Think of everything that could go wrong, refine it, amplify it, then post it!

5. Look at history, then look at your minds eye. - If you aren't a brilliant idealist or an overly imaginative person, you can look at history. If you're like me and you've been involved in tons of mods/game modes, you'll see repetition. Copying, amplification of the same thing in different situations. Other then looking at what you've done or experienced, you can always look into your minds eye. For idealists and strong believers, you can look at a concept that's not been explored and really press into it.

------------

Looking at this, it reminded me to express why I feel my ideas are just solid. I'm not really looking through my minds eye here. A lot of mods that were like this, had similar problems. Game modes too, same for servers.

My idea for loot spawning looks into immersion, into characters. In this virtual world, why would an entire town have no supplies? Secondly, why would this character stay in the town? It's completely empty and there's a few bandits hoarding literally every jar of peanut butter in Muldraug(However you spell it). Well the answer is, no one in their bloody right mind would stay in the town. What? Just stay here and starve, using your hands to craft a well?

I understand that sure, eventually after a few months of infection there'd be fuck all supplies. But supplies would still move around as survivors create supply caches, die or just straight up lose things. A good way to continue supplies going, is to place dead bodies around the map as well as a few boxes. These boxes could be called supply cache's. They're post infection boxes that have been created by survivors, they hide them well and use them to store things. As for the bodies, those would be dead survivors you find lying around. They will sometimes have things on them, if they were a survivor. It makes sense and it continues an economical flow.

Latent Terms:

Have boxes spawn on the map that are named supply cache's. Have them hold some items.

Have dead bodies around the map, have them also hold some items.

Boxes + Bodies = ECONOMY!

Yay.

Imo boxes/caches will actually be made by NPC or other players in MP. There's no need to spawn some, you just have to find them. Same goes for bodies ! no need to spawn them you'll have to look for players/NPC bodies to find their loot.

And admins can still spawn stuff manually if they want to create events etc...

Really, really and really, item spawning is not the way to go ! Fishing will be implemented in the next version, hunting and trapping will come later as well. Item spawning as a vanilla feature will unbalance the scarcity of supplies/food and make it too easy.

I agree with Deprav here. PZ is a game about your inevitable death, if that's going to be from not finding anything in houses because they've been looted, so be it. Sorry, but... That's Life, that's what people say, you're riding high in April, shot down in May. 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D