Script Coding Suggestions

vonVile

Since there's no Suggestion dir for modder I thought this the best place to post this  here instead of the regular game suggestion thread. They won't know what we're talking about.

After making a few mods I already found some limitations in it's structure that I'd like to see adjusted.

- Recipe items doubled to 8. 4 is just too limiting. For example in my Evil Bats mod I was forced to break the FUBAR Bat recipe into 2 parts because I can't put all the items into one recipe. I also had to remove from my Pillow Multi-Tool Mod the Pillow into Can Filled Pillow Case because that needs 5 lines.

- Add "RecipeDisplay =" to code. Players don't need to see how the sausage is made. What this will do is when the recipe pop-up window appears the modder can list and explain the ingredients used. For example using my Can Filled Pillow Case recipe:

Instead of showing this:

Pillow Case

Dog Food/Tinned Beans/Tinned Soup

We'll use this:

RecipeDisplay = Pillow Case,3 Cans (any combination of these):,Canned Beans,Canned Soup,Dog Food,

To show this:

Pillow Case

3 Cans (any combination of these):

Canned Beans

Canned Soup

Dog Food

Also no more pop-up recipe windows going off the right of the screen and going beyond the the text display window limit.

- Multiple output on "Result:".

Make: Result:Bandages=8,DogFood=3,

Gives you 8 Bandages and 3 Dog Food.

This I can see limited to 4 items.

A few of my items tag suggestions that would make modding a little easier for others and myself.

1) Add the ability the ReplaceOnDeplete on weapons to replace actual weapon with an actual broken version that can then be repaired (with mod, or vanilla someday) or dropped.

2) Change the way that food cooks by using the durability/uses bar that would go down as the food is cooked so you can visually watch it cook like in real life and add the tag ReplaceOnCooked that will replace the uncooked food item with the cooked item.

Yes I do realize that doing these would make every item have a double item for breaking or cooking, but I don't think that would be a problem as you can seriously add so many items, I'm not really sure there is a limit.

Edit: also a ReplaceOnOvercooked and ReplaceOnRotten tags.

Edited by kinyoshi

I would like a line that makes items only creatable at certain levels of skill something like this.

levelreq = cooking3,

Also a durability boost off the level of your skill in crafting a item like with walls.

durability = carpentry*3

It would take a change to the way items are scripted leaving a wildcard in the Lua item that would be replaced with the result of the above equation. i have no idea how you could do this and keep the result after the game closed. you would have to call the max durability and current durability each time the game was started.

as far as I know the current scripting is done with java, so as far as a suggestion goes, you may try to put it in a topic for PZ suggestions, not mod requests/idea's

:) if it would become part of the PZ-vanilla codebase I think much mods would be happy.

at this moment if we want todo such a thing the coder is required to place those extra trait/skill specific things in code that executes while distributing/using/crafting the items. :(