The new Cooking System !

RobertJohnson

hah )) this is amaizing cooking update,i always grab any rotten food, that other leave, to up my cooking lvl. After 2.6 it will find the new meaning =D

RJ, thanks for that introduction for us, you do the great job, and do it well.

acclamations, monsieur!  :evil:

So excited to see this cooking update. You guys are doing such a fantastic job, can't wait to see what else y'all pull out! :D

Also, I really appreciate the new indicators for cooking food, it is MUCH easier to tell when something is done before it gets burnt!

Hey guys !

As stated in the OP, I changed the recipes things to be a flag on item, so you don't have to define each ingredient for the recipe IN the recipe list, but rather add flag for this item directly inside items.txt (easier for modders !), like this :

EvolvedRecipe = Soup:15;Stew:15;Pie:10;Pan Fried Vegetables:10;Sandwich:5|Cooked,

Check the OP to see some example :)

Also added the possibility to rename your food (need at least 3 ingredients in it) !

How does this fit in with the improved UI that is supposed to be in development? Seems to me this is just a UI update thats going to become obsolete in the future.

The same code that makes tooltips and menus work will work with the new UI. 

Primarily the planned UI is largely an inventory interface overhaul so little will be impacted by the cooking system.

That's good to know, I was just concerned about wasted development time  :P

This is awesome! Im really looking forward to trying out the new cooking system. Especially now when food goes bad it can still be valuable. Much more of an incentive to work on the cooking skill!  :)  Keep up the good work!  8-)

You can also add a "Cookable" in the recipe, meaning the recipe can be cook.

But also ask for a ingredient to be cooked before being added (think about a chicken sandwich, you won't cook the sandwich, but the chicken need to be cook), like this :

EvolvedRecipe = Sandwich:5|Cooked,

Can cooked chicken that has more hunger reduction, still be used in a soup?

- Create soup from Chicken = Soup with 15 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 30 hunger reduction, +0 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, -5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, -10 hapiness/boredom reduction.etc.

Think there's a bug with double 45.

Level 0 cooking :- Create soup from Chicken = Soup with 15 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Carrots = Soup with 30 hunger reduction, +10 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Broccoli = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Cheese = Soup with 50 hunger reduction, +0 hapiness/boredom reduction.

In other words if someone want good reduction, it's best not to overdo with number of ingredients?

8) Planned recipes !

Here's some example we'll have in game (90% of them are finished) :

• Soup
  • Stew
  • Sandwich (cold)
  • Sandwich (hot)
  • Pie (Fish Pie, hell yeah UK boys !)
  • Cake
  • Pan Fried vegetables
  • Salads

What about recipes that aren't falling into these generic groups or require some sort of special pre-made ingredients (like roasted meat for gulash)?

1) Nope, you can use them but it'll be the same hunger reduction (because you'll put less in it), but I may simply disbale the use of cooked thing if not require, because you'll cook again the soup, so too much cooking = burnt...

2) Thanks ! Will fix this !

3) Not at all, hunger reduction doesn't depend on the number of ingredient, if it goes from 45 to 50 (so only +5) it's because I added cheese, which add +5 hunger reduction (compared to +15 for chicken for example), but it'll affect hapiness/boredom bonus depending on your cooking skills

4) Cake and Pie already like this, you first need to do the cake batter or pie dough then putting it in a baking pan before start the actual recipe, but it act as a simple recipe (just right click with the required ingredient and select "make pie dough", etc.)

8) Planned recipes !

Here's some example we'll have in game (90% of them are finished) :

• Pie (Fish Pie, hell yeah UK boys !)

So, ah, I'm not familiar with fish pie.. U.S. citizen here, but this would contain fish right? So, will water bodies contain fish, and is fishing in the future? I'm excited about hunting down renewable sources of protein.. To add to my pies of course..

3) Not at all, hunger reduction doesn't depend on the number of ingredient, if it goes from 45 to 50 (so only +5) it's because I added cheese, which add +5 hunger reduction (compared to +15 for chicken for example), but it'll affect hapiness/boredom bonus depending on your cooking skills

My bad - haven't specified, I meant the happiness/boredom "reduction" in that case, so for example if you want to make "tasty" soup with skill 0, you still can, but in that case it will only have limited hunger reduction and not so good bonus. In case you overdo it, then it will be more nutritious, but less tasty.

Oh and forgot to add, that it looks a lot better than the previous system, so thank you.

My bad - haven't specified, I meant the happiness/boredom "reduction" in that case, so for example if you want to make "tasty" soup with skill 0, you still can, but in that case it will only have limited hunger reduction and not so good bonus. In case you overdo it, then it will be more nutritious, but less tasty.

but it'll affect hapiness/boredom bonus depending on your cooking skills

Oh and forgot to add, that it looks a lot better than the previous system, so thank you.

Yep, you got it ! We assume a good chef know how to mix ingredient much better than a "noob" one, so the food will be less good if you put too many without knowing what you do, but still feed you well :)

Reality explanation : "A skilled chef has managed to cut away the parts which are still fine and used them." -Andy.

In real life food can rot to condition when there is no fine parts. For example, chicken which rot more than 1 month.

I suggest to solve it by adding new food property "DaysCompleteRotten" or expand "DaysTotallyRotten" property.

Variant 1:

item Chicken    {        ...        DaysTotallyRotten = 4,        DaysCompleteRotten = 30,        ...    }

...or Variant 2:

item Chicken    {        ...        DaysTotallyRotten = 4|30,        ...    }

Both variants means, that player can use rotted Chicken as ingredient between 4 and 30 days of rotting. But after 30th day player with even 5 level of cooking can not use this rotten Chicken as ingredient.

To add some thoughts to Thuztors point: After eating a little bit more than I should have I´m getting really damn tired. So maybe a really short timeframe after eating were you have the tired moodle?

Edit: And another thought (sorry if this is already mentioned/planned): Will get cooked meals get cold? If so, then they may get a little bit of boredom added when eating them cold. After this change the microwaves will get another use to heat it up again.

Hey hey Everyone.  ;-)

My very first post here in the Forums...

I've been playing PZ since 2 months or so before it went on steam (got it on Desura at the time)

and I just want to say that this Cooking system overhaul looks awesome!

The only thing I hope is that there are enough poisons that are harder to detect than bleach (as far as I understood bleach is one of the easiest... right?)... Just so a lvl 3 cook can actually poison someone to weaken them without them noticing and a lvl 4 cook can actually kill someone with the right poison ingredients...

Another thing... You should give more uses for milk (I understand you're putting batters in the game now, but still) or at least make it more nutritive.

Besides that... please OH PLEASE... make it possible (and plz make it an achievement hehehe) to bake a poisoned cake that looks EXACTLY like Portal's.

Possible achievement name could be:  "Tastes like a lie to me"

:-D

Love this game.

Updated the OP with the Food poisoning stuff ! Now much more realistic, evil and fun !

Who will be the first to die from a lovely poison ivy cake... ?

I would!

Would there be poisonous cookies?, if there are... does that mean poisonous Spiffo Fries?

But you gave me the idea to poison players ingame who have low cooking skills.

when i used to use the Necro Forge mod, i noticed how many different mushrooms were in the menu. now i'm no expert, and cannot identify a poisonous mushroom from a safe mushroom. but maybe part of being a top level chef would be the ability to wander into the forest to find berries, wild game, and maybe some mushrooms to use in recipes....with them having some type of ability to recognize the safe and the deadly mushrooms.

The only thing I hope is that there are enough poisons that are harder to detect than bleach (as far as I understood bleach is one of the easiest... right?)... Just so a lvl 3 cook can actually poison someone to weaken them without them noticing and a lvl 4 cook can actually kill someone with the right poison ingredients...

That's it, but a lvl 3 chef will be able to put only 1 dose inside the food, and 1 dose it's not enough to kill someone :)

when i used to use the Necro Forge mod, i noticed how many different mushrooms were in the menu. now i'm no expert, and cannot identify a poisonous mushroom from a safe mushroom. but maybe part of being a top level chef would be the ability to wander into the forest to find berries, wild game, and maybe some mushrooms to use in recipes....with them having some type of ability to recognize the safe and the deadly mushrooms.

Yep, we have mushroom, but they are not spawned in the world yet :)