The new Cooking System !

RobertJohnson

Well, you'll get more meat with trapping soon :)

But yeah, for eggs/chicken, you'll have to wait animal farming !

What about ze flour and ze sugar! Coffee will be gone soon. :D

Kidding, i'm sure that in time most of those items will be craftable and some things are best kept as treasured remains of times past!

(whisky)

Are there any pastas in-game at present? (Ramen excluded)

Would make for a whole new type of dish and pasta would be very slow to perish, if at all. Also... post apocalyptic rateroni and cheese. Yum yum.

Pasta and rice are a must!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been brought up a thousand times before, but, pickling. I saw pickles in game. They were delicious. We need to be able to make our own pickled foods to cook complex foods after the power goes out.

It figures I'd start cooking for the family IRL just as the cooking update came through :P Even became the group chef in a recent MP game, and it's a pretty sweet role to have in a survivor enclave, especially when you start drowning in excess amounts of  recently farmed cabbage.

EDIT: Dunno when the time-to-cook and time-to-burn bars were implemented when cooking, but I LOVE it <3

The chef, to me, is one of the most powerfull member in a COOp/Clan, without him you'll starve, but he can also poison the food, etc...

But what's pickled food ? I may can add it if I know what is it :D

Pickles are only used for burgers/sandwiches atm

Well, just like the pickles. Or gherkins :P

Slice up some veggies, put them in a sterilised jar, then fill with vinegar/brine/etc. Same kinda things that have been floating around in the various food preservation threads for a while.

At the very least, being able to make Sauerkraut or Kimchi would be a welcome addition; Drowning in cabbages is always a problem with new farmers.

Well, just like the pickles. Or gherkins :P

Slice up some veggies, put them in a sterilised jar, then fill with vinegar/brine/etc. Same kinda things that have been floating around in the various food preservation threads for a while.

At the very least, being able to make Sauerkraut or Kimchi would be a welcome addition; Drowning in cabbages is always a problem with new farmers.

!!! SAUERKRAUT !!!

The truth why PZ is not yet an awesome game is the missing sauerkraut, after addition you can leave the project as-is but every average Kraut is still happy.

Needs +20 happiness btw :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I did manage to get Highlander's Canning Mod to work.  Though I can't (nor will I) take credit for anything, try giving This a read if you still want to use the Canning Mod.  I'm not sure I have permission to go into details about exactly where to place files, and seeing as I don't know very much about modding (as I'm new to it I couldn't be much use) I wouldn't be able to help with any bugs.

And yes, there's sauerkraut :)

Yeah, I enjoy the game in it's original state, but some of the mods can be really great additions :) I don't usually go for the "cheat" mods though.  I feel they break the game.  Being invincible would get boring after a while.

Yeah, I enjoy the game in it's original state, but some of the mods can be really great additions :) I don't usually go for the "cheat" mods though.  I feel they break the game.  Being invincible would get boring after a while.

Agreed, the only mods i use are new textures and more crafting recipes, food and non food. Though i have tested things with item spawners. 

On topic: Has anyone actually made a pizza in game? I can't get one made up, i have everything i need(i think).

I know eventually you'll add hunting, but will it actually be a skill you add skill points into? Like for example, when cleaning an animal, with a higher level in hunting you will be able to get more meat from an animal? (less waste)

Also adding stuff like bows and arrows for silent hunting, and being able to use said meat in burgers, soups, etc?

Also would different kinds of fences be able to be used for animal pens, or even constructing entire chicken coops?
I'm just curious, really. There are a million things you can add to hunting, carpentry, and cooking, and a lot of different routes you can take, so I was wondering what the PZ team personally was thinking of doing.

Personally I hope stuff like metalworking, masonry, and also that electronics addition will eventually come. :P Would be cool to be able to find metal and actually craft your own axes eventually. In real life that would be possible.

• 1 month later...

..It'd be nice to make something like berries + pie preparation = berry pie.

^/agree

When you mix sugar and whole berries, the sugar pulls their moisture out and forms its own syrup right in the pie crust. Sugar+berries+pie crust and cook it up! Easy as pie! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, first time post.

I love the cooking update so much that I've been trying to get as much of it written into the PZ Wiki and update some of the out-of-date pages.

• If you're interested in what ingredient can be used in which recipe, check out the "Recipe Ingredients" page (link here)
  • If you want to see the details on the customizable recipes (for lack of an official term), check out the "Soup Recipe", "Stew Recipe", "Salad Recipe", "Stir Fry Recipe", "Sandwich Recipe", "Burger Recipe", "Pie Recipe", and "Cake Recipe" pages.
  • More generally, check out the "Items" page for other info (needs more work though)

I'm still working on a few of the pages, so some of it is still a work in progress of course---^ . 

But if you want to see the raw data from the in-game testing, check out the RecipeTestList.png file on the wiki (link here).  It's also available at the bottom of the "Recipe Ingredients" page. 

Spoiler alert: It include 95% of all custom recipe ingredients, so if you want to figure them out on your own, don't look :razz:

I'm working on the format and info for a larger "Cooking Guide" (like the Farming or Survival guides), but that's going to have to wait until Sept/Nov/post college. 

• 2 weeks later...

A minor wiki-related update on food:

I've gotten the Recipe Ingredients page up-to-date and fully fleshed out.  It should be almost correct for build 28 IWBUMS (so if you're on build 27 there might be a few discrepancies).  

And it includes two sections:

• Section one gives you details on the custom recipes (such as what thing you need to start them) and the ingredients that can be used.
    • Answer the question "What can I add into _____ recipe?"
  • Section two gives you tables on what recipes all ingredients can go into, and the hunger values for them.
    • Answers the question "What can I make with ____?"

The page isn't accessible from the main PZ wiki page yet--we're still working on the organization and updates--so you have to link or search it. 

I had said previously to check out the individual recipe pages, but sadly I haven't written any of them other than Soup & Stew.  So yeah, more to come.  I haven't decided whether to try my hand at the Cooking Guide, or whether I should focus on updating other major pages. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A minor wiki-related update on food:

I've gotten the Recipe Ingredients page up-to-date and fully fleshed out.  It should be almost correct for build 28 IWBUMS (so if you're on build 27 there might be a few discrepancies).  

And it includes two sections:

• Section one gives you details on the custom recipes (such as what thing you need to start them) and the ingredients that can be used.
    • Answer the question "What can I add into _____ recipe?"
  • Section two gives you tables on what recipes all ingredients can go into, and the hunger values for them.
    • Answers the question "What can I make with ____?"

The page isn't accessible from the main PZ wiki page yet--we're still working on the organization and updates--so you have to link or search it. 

I had said previously to check out the individual recipe pages, but sadly I haven't written any of them other than Soup & Stew.  So yeah, more to come.  I haven't decided whether to try my hand at the Cooking Guide, or whether I should focus on updating other major pages. 

Man thanks so much for doing this. I've been looking everywhere for a resource on cooking. You da man!