The new Cooking System !

RobertJohnson

i don't know if anybodys suggested this yet, but perhaps using different heat sources could affect the resulting foods nutrition/happiness,boredom reduction, for instance if you cook a pizza pocket (real life example not pz) in the microwave its all soggy and what not , but if you cook it in the oven its nice and flakey. also certain foods should require certain items to cook in different heat sources example: campfire: certain foods require upgraded campfire--> add some sort of grill? can now cook on fire using pans and pots whereas just a campfire you could only cook whatever you could hold over the fire with a stick or something? 

i don't know if anybodys suggested this yet, but perhaps using different heat sources could affect the resulting foods nutrition/happiness,boredom reduction, for instance if you cook a pizza pocket (real life example not pz) in the microwave its all soggy and what not , but if you cook it in the oven its nice and flakey. also certain foods should require certain items to cook in different heat sources example: campfire: certain foods require upgraded campfire--> add some sort of grill? can now cook on fire using pans and pots whereas just a campfire you could only cook whatever you could hold over the fire with a stick or something? 

Last camping I remember you didn't have to use "special grill" all it required was some sturdy stick or metal rod. You could hold it by hand, feet (leverage) or fee well placed stones to keep the end in air. I suggest you go over to the suggestions and bump the thread about grill tho if you want it to happen.

But I do have to agree about different type of "heat" each of them produce that does influence food. I think they might change it later on, because currently toaster, microwave, oven and grill to the game are one - a heater type of furniture. The biggest issue I have ATM is that you can cook anything in the toaster ;-)

The new system really is a charm. I really like that you can keep track of what you put in now, instead of it taking something you would flip your table thereafter for losing it. Also cool to see that it shows you what's inside by having a dynamic name!

I really hope that there will be an option to write down recipes in a book for others to read later on, would be a great!

I just recently took a wilderness survival course with the Canadian Rangers ( pro tip - starving in the woods soaking wet sucks :P ) and on the subject of food and poisoning, especially mushrooms, its possible to test if something is safe to eat if you are uncertain with these steps:

Take a tiny bit and...

1) Rub it on the back of your hand and wait an hour to see if there is any bad reaction. Bad reaction, wash with water and/or fine ash. No reaction, proceed to step 2.

2) Rub it on your lips, wait an hour to see if there is any bad reaction. Bad reaction, wash with water. No reaction, proceed to step 3.

3) Place on tongue, do not swallow and wait an hour. Bad reaction, rinse with water. No reaction, proceed to step 4.

4) Chew and swallow, chase with water, and wait an hour. Bad reaction, induce vomiting, drink water. No reaction, safe to eat ...

...but don't eat too much, you don't want to lose too much to diarea and what not if you haven't eaten for a while and/or aren't used to the local parasites/bacteria.

Now, I understand the need for abstraction in games, so I don't expect this to make it into the game in all its unfun but safe meticulousness but if you might have a menu option in the game where by my character, especially if the character has the background Ranger, tests their food to see if its is not poisonous and/or unfit for consumption, I would appreciate it.

Especially since as a player if I didn't have some choice in the interaction with poisons would be quite unfun.

Heya peeps,

You'll also gain 2 xp per ingredients added.

This will be exploited to gain free exp and/or level up cooking skill by adding as many ingredients as possible and then throw away the food and repeat the process.

Is this perhaps intended to simulate "experimenting" in the kitchen?

I think a better system would be to award the player for successfully creating a "good" recipe. Maybe just count the boredom reduction into exp.

Other then that, super duper awesome work, I love the sytem and you guys rock!

No point in wasting food to level up when you can just cook rats and toss them out, also are rats or mice used in any recipes to make them safe? I have been cooking them for awhile now and the only way i have food to cook them is just to toss them in a fire or oven.

-snip-

You don't have to really wait as long as an hour each time, 15 min maybe 20 for the first test. Only 5 or so min for the second test, and 15 for the third. For the forth longer than an hour, maybe up to eight depending on what it is your testing. 

No point in wasting food to level up when you can just cook rats and toss them out, also are rats or mice used in any recipes to make them safe? I have been cooking them for awhile now and the only way i have food to cook them is just to toss them in a fire or oven.

I think an experienced cook can add things like rats and worms to a recipe without adverse effect. They're a good enough cook that they can make the whole recipe taste good even if some of the ingredients are a touch questionable.

But yeah, why would I go about grinding my cooking skill by throwing ingredients into a pot then throwing them away when I can instead just cook the recipe those ingredients were used in and eat it? It'd take longer, but I'm gonna be cooking and eating the food anyway unless I'm stupid enough to "grind" by throwing all the food out. Which is just a pointless waste.

Yay, are we going to have poisonous berries/mushrooms too that can be unidentified by those without enough forestry skill (example only)?

In NEO scavenger I often carry one handful or so of poison in my pocket so that if someone robs me I can find them in a weakened state for sweet sweet shoe-less revenge.

-snip-

You don't have to really wait as long as an hour each time, 15 min maybe 20 for the first test. Only 5 or so min for the second test, and 15 for the third. For the forth longer than an hour, maybe up to eight depending on what it is your testing. 

We were taught an hour for a couple simple reasons: 1) Its easy to remember, and 2) We weren't allowed to take time pieces like watches with us of any kind and with the cloudy sky pouring down on us, shadow clocks weren't really possible. How we judge time without watches is quite interesting and what we think is an "hour" may wildly differ from how long it actually has been.

Judging how much time we had left till we no longer had enough light by which to work on important survival tasks become very important, like making sure we had enough fire wood to last for the whole night to keep our shelter warm till it was light enough to go look for more.

So you are correct, the timing I gave is overly cautious but in practice works.