So one thought I had, after checking the various suggestions and seeing that it was not present, is to incorporate an amped up police station into the map.  There could be several unique and powerful items in this police station, thus making it a high-value looting location, but I think the devs could balance this out by making it extraordinarily difficult to loot.

For example, it could be construed as a failed "safe point" for evacuation.  This would make it heavily fortified and difficult to get in and out of, but absolutely infested with large numbers of zeds.  Some of these zeds could potentially be armed (ex-police) or a few could be armored (i.e. wearing body armor).  This would obviously include one new item, body armor - it could give the player the equivalent of a "tough skin" perk even if they hadn't selected it in character creation.  It should, of course, have durability, and probably be irreparable (I don't think it's plausible that you could find new kevlar to patch the vest in the zombie apocalypse).  This could also be a (the only? IDK, it is Kentucky) location to find assault rifles, and perhaps something like tear gas.  Tear gas could be done in a bunch of different ways; it could completely knock zeds out for a certain time period, it could knock them out for 30 minutes then they could become crawlers for another 30 (stuff messes you up) then could become walkers after that, or any other possible combination.  This item could be valuable for incapacitating groups without drawing large-scale attention.

As for the station itself, with so many goodies and being an ex-safezone, it should be difficult as crap to get in to.  There could be the aforementioned armed zeds, multiple locked doors and everything hooked up to alarms, a high spawn rate around the station (everyone went there to be safe and is now a zed), numerous hidden "bathroom" zeds, a confusing layout, a solitary entrance so that when you set off alarms your retreat path is quickly cut off, and a linear path throughout the station leading through numerous zed-infested rooms in order to get to the armory at the end.  Like, you could enter into the general grounds and a lobby full of survior zeds, then have to go through booking/cells full of prisoner zeds, then through offices of ex-police zeds, then a motor pool, locker room, and bunk room full of surprise zeds.  At the end of it all, you'd finally get into the armory (the door to which and other various doors you'd have to bash with a heavy ass sledgehammer), but the moment you got into it you'd set off a LOUD-ass alarm that would pull zeds from everywhere.  The only way out would be back down the path you came, now infested with zeds - you'd have to use pretty much everything you got in the armory to get out safely (unless you were super creative).

I know this suggestion proposes items that have already been suggested (assault rifles, body armor, etc.) but I think that this would be a neat scenario in which to implement all of these items, would give them a legitimate context, and honestly add a bit of plot/imagined backstory to the game.  As I also suggested, it would be quest-like; the player could find notes or graffiti that indicated there was some sort of safe house at the police station, only to find it overrun when they discover it.  Also, given that it was a failed city-wide safehouse, there could be numerous medications and foodstuffs found on site in tents set up around the police station, as well as sandbag barricades and whatnot that could be deconstructed and then reconstructed at the player's safehouse (for those who want to play it safe and not risk the armory).

EDIT - Just wanted to say thank you to the developers for making one of my most favorite games in history, and for being responsive to the community suggestion-wise.  You dudes rock!

And re-worded it so that it was "amped-up police station" and not just "police station" as I originally said, which was confusing.

Muldraugh

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.45813953221192455,0.22291860648080694,276.76027676027684

West Point

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.8058924666424299,0.14220979884115598,230.63356396689738

sorry, but tear gas to knock out zombies for 30 minutes is a strange idea. why would the zombies care about tear gas, their dead. they have moved beyond the effect that gas has on the living.

as for their being a few zombies around the cop shop, now you know where to find the police stations on the map, go see how many may be in the area for yourself.

Fair enough, I definitely worded my original post poorly.

I meant more of a serious police precinct, that was more significant as far as the "we're trying to survive a zombie outbreak" backstory goes.  It's an opportunity for a unique experience.  All the other points I mentioned are not implemented in the current cop shops.

As for tear gas being strange for affecting zombies, I couldn't disagree more.  It affects your neurological system in various ways, which zeds obviously still have, causing inflammation and teariness.  I mean, I understand they're dead, but that doesn't mean that whatever effects the living has no effect of them - law of the excluded middle and whatnot.  If you shoot them in the head, they die, just like living things.  So why would tear gas not cause them to go blind, be unable to breathe, and be generally incapacitated for a while?

Because their bodies don't work the same way they used to. Tear gas affects the eyes and the mouth and nose. Sure it'd hurt like hell for a living person, but zombies are dead. They feel no pain. Ergo, tear gas is useless on them. It might be fun to have and use on living characters, though...

And I think the various scenario ideas you described would likely be more compatible with the Louisville or Fort Knox areas as opposed to the small counties the map is currently centered on.

Hrmmm, good point, the pain prolly wouldn't do anything.

What about inflammatory responses, though?  If you threw a jellyfish into the face of a zed, don't you think that would cause some swelling, puffiness, etc.?  If so, then tear gas should at least make zeds blind.  Additionally, if you think zeds need oxygen to breathe (definitely debatable), the tear gas should irritate their lungs and make them incapable of exertion for a bit.  Or perhaps give them the exhaustion moodle.

Swelling and puffiness is an immune response as your body reacts to whatever substances are currently afflicting it. Having an immune response is something only a living body could really do. And I don't think the undead need to breath, but I could be wrong on that one  :evil: