Safehouse selection?

So, what makes a good safehouse?

I know it should have more than one exit, preferrably have two floors, and have minimum number of windows.  A good fridge and a selection of storage space (shelves, counters, wardrobes) is also good.  A sink/toilet/bathroom is a must too... I think there was one house that had no water access at all (coords 11488x7019).

I also think a good safehouse should be AWAY from other houses.  The house at the corner of a residential area, or one that's at the end of a cul-de-sac is what I'm looking for.  Why?  Simply because I'm tired of hearing banging/groaning/glass breaking and not knowing whether that was my house or the one next door... or the shed/garage.  At least on a secluded area, any sound I hear I know I should take note.

At least one should have some farming area accessible.

Any more ideas?  I'm just sick of having to move house just because my safehouse is in the way of the migrating horde and a few of them decided to go THROUGH my house instead of around it.

Also, as I'm venturing further and further out, I might establish a few "bed and breakfast" safehouses, just a secure area with a little bit of food.  Initially, I thought of having just one big base but now it seems like several small bases scattered within a day's walk of each other is a better tactic.  It'll also be easier emptying one and leaving it should it be compromised.

Any favorite or ideal locations in the West Point area?  I'm currently exploring the upper left area of West Point thanks to some unique zombie dispersal patterns and the small house at 10895x6671 seems like an ideal farm/construction/logging location, but is very far from town so it'll probably be just a backup area which I'll return to once I get some farming tools.  The small cul-de-sacs to the upper left and lower right of the church (11970x6693) look better proximity-wise but I'm afraid of losing it should I unwittingly attract a horde to my front door.

In general you need more then one Safe house.

More like a Main Fortress and a couple of outpost bases to go scavenge or cut down trees or just simple sleep while running to farer points. Also if you get Zed´s to your fortress lure them away with shoot and shouts to a killing trap. i prefer a low fence piece with sides coverd so they can come only there and 1 by 1. Others prefer to build shooting ranges like build a high path with windows for sheetropes and shoot them.

Safest so far i can tell, 3 Floor flate roof, destroy the main stairs on the first floor and it´s for now the ultimate hideout if you have all the stuff up there you need. Rainbarrels, dirtfields, crates, shelter, food, etc. if you have no need to get down you can stay forever alive up there.

Personally, for West Point I love this house

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.8088302553217646,0.12933063251831178,443.8510606734907

It's large, two story, has a good amount of storage, houses nearby to loot, and it's a decent distance from the downtown area.

In Muldraugh I enjoy this house

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4949888071435396,0.22310159236842625,532.6212728081888

Also large, two story, less storage but more isolated (zeds hardly ever come there once the neighborhood is cleared), and it is also close to downtown and other houses.

Both have enough room around them to expand, wall in and farm eventually.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you don't mind a walk to get to town this is an excellent place to get away from all the zombies and settle down to farm. Huge open areas, a nice size two story building, but a lack of anything of interest immediately near it.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5703464327134895,0.18077278075245684,237.3763137997696

This is my current safehouse.  It's my favorite so far.

http://pzmap.crash-o....68506857456694

Two floors, two doors, lots of windows, and a nice big area to plant a farm in.

For the early game, the food market across the street is nice too.

That's mine and my friends on our MP server. Great location.

its a good house, but whats better is the fact that you have a back up two story safehouse just up the road you can go to when the horde shows up http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5223685160235756,0.2077680037005575,97.69796428789371

i really like these 2 (the food market+the roof next to it and the 3 story office building) 

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.813300471435839,0.1441010852631171,168.82208228948033

find a sledge ... destroy the stairs and use sheetropes to get in and out 

use the balcony of the 3 story and/or the roof next to the foodmarket as farming area 

(get empty sandbags and a shovel - fill them with dirt and drop it on the roof/balcony) 

i also connect the foodmarket and the office building with a walkway at the windows 

the only thing that you need to haul there and thus can get a bit dangerous is logs/planks 

when i go on looting runs that dont allow me to get back to my base to sleep/eat i'll just take some food with me and sleep in random houses that i sheet-curtain / board up if necessary

Edit: 

you can destroy doors in the city for easily gaining some planks / hinges / doorknobs 

and you actually dont need to build too much of a defense with carpentry to be able to defend a safehouse that is two-story or higher when you just destroy the stairs 

the only important thing is to get carpentry high enough so you are able to build rain collector barrels

plus i like to wall up the roof aswell (so i dont jump off accidentaly and it looks better) 

and you can connect the house next to the roof aswell (the yellow one) if you want to

my long term plan tho is to connect the whole downtown area of west point with walkways to each other 

so i can traverse the city without ever having to go down on the streets  (clyde)

Edit2: 

a second plan of mine is to build the highest tower possible at the cabin in the western woods

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5085586942627126,0.1277597325036178,97.69796428789371

This is my current safehouse.  It's my favorite so far.

http://pzmap.crash-o....68506857456694

Two floors, two doors, lots of windows, and a nice big area to plant a farm in.

For the early game, the food market across the street is nice too.

That's mine and my friends on our MP server. Great location.

its a good house, but whats better is the fact that you have a back up two story safehouse just up the road you can go to when the horde shows up http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5223685160235756,0.2077680037005575,97.69796428789371

Originally we used the house just to the west of this one across the road, but we found that although it was a decent two story house, it really lacks storage. But we are in the process of setting up new locations. This game just keeps getting better and better! Had a moment on a supply run last night that nearly screwed us, we were fighting through a street of zombies, trying to pull 2 at a time, when the one I hit with my baseball bat got knocked back about 5 metres. Unfortunately that 5 metres took it clashing into my teammate who was facing the other way fighting off two other Zeds, and the zombie promptly grabbed him! Luckily I saw it coming and ran in a smashed it's skull, but he was literally milliseconds from infection and death. It actually caused me to panic for a moment! Not come across a real migrating horde, but the gunshots have been both a saviour when it cleared about 30 zombies from a road infront of us, and a curse when it put them back the next day!

On my first play-through with a bunch of friends, I obviously went for the easiest, and safest safehouse at here.

Only slight problem was one of my friends burnt the house down, we had to fight off a lot of zeds to hold onto that spot, but now I have taken the burnt house down and build my own onto it, with sheetropes as a backup exit, farming and enough space to store all stockpiles we have, we are currently going great!

It's going so good we even setup an outpost here

This lets us have better access to the rest of Muldraugh. we barricaded all the windows and doors, smashed the stairs out and used sheetropes on 2 windows for exits, we also smashed one of the walls away and built an outside area for the rain barrel.

The most important thing about a possible safehouse is how it looks now and what you can build of it.

edit: I usually use temporary safe houses until I got all the stuff I need. Then take an awesome looking building (lot of those on Bedford falls).

The most important thing about a possible safehouse is how it looks now and what you can build of it.

edit: I usually use temporary safe houses until I got all the stuff I need. Then take an awesome looking building (lot of those on Bedford falls).

yeah ... bedford falls looks great ... 

i mean the buildings etc

but the layout sucks 

way too many indestructible walls and fences 

imho building a (super strong) safehouse in bedford falls is easy as shit 

not balanced at all ... but yeah it looks great

Yeah that's true. The building I chose is a kind of small motel. It's a rectangle with an opening in one of the longer sides. I'm boarding all the firstfloor windows, got 2 ropes through 2nd floor windows and made 2 walls in the 'gate' part of the motel. I cleared the area. I have everything I need, including 5000+ nails. No challenge anymore. 

Maybe there should just be a lot more zombies but with a buffed version of sneaking (and crouching). It's often too easy to systematically take zombies out one or two at a time. On the other hand if you play with larger amounts of zombies it's probably a bit too hard because sneaking is so worthless lvl1 and you can't hide behind stuff.

I haven't played in a while, since new job n' stuffs but i always use the two story house just along from the one story house with the fences around it and then use sheet rope to go between levels of the house, haven't been over to west point yet, but i'd like to do something likewise.

I always use the big warehouse on the far side of muldragh. More storage than you could ever need, nice little patch of trees next to the park, which provides plenty of room for farming

Or drag some dirt to the roof and farm from there. ^^