New traits: Dyslexic, Bookworm

jass0

Dyslexic (positive points) 

You have a lot of difficulty with reading and writing, therefore:

- reading skill books takes longer

- literature is less effective at reducing boredom/stress/unhappiness

Bookworm (negative points)

You are fascinated by books and obviously read a lot, you are able skip words and still understand sentences, therefore:

+ reading skill books is faster

+ literature is more effective at reducing boredom/stress/unhappiness

The factors longer/faster/less/more can be defined so that they do not make the game a lot more easier. 

(You could also theoretically have both traits, which would give a "reading bonus" of certain level, where the tradeoff for trait points could be tempting)

(Offtopic: English is not my first language and I may, myself, appear to be dyslexic. :) I can assure you this is not the case. I'm not a bookworm either, though ;))

Me enjoy good suggestion. Me cave man Kajin, and Me approve this idea thread.

But I wonder how such a thing could stack? I guess maybe you get more bonuses from reading a book, but it takes you a lot longer to do it?

Me enjoy good suggestion. Me cave man Kajin, and Me approve this idea thread.

But I wonder how such a thing could stack? I guess maybe you get more bonuses from reading a book, but it takes you a lot longer to do it?

That is a valid concern :) There's obviously a balance to be found...

I have to admit that I am quite new to Project Zomboid and I have not a lot of "end game experience" yet. I am hoping some more experienced players would share their views and solutions on the subject.

About having more bonuses instead of faster reading... I appreciate the balancing suggestion, but don't bookworms actually finish books a lot quicker? I would rather actually reduce the given boredom/stress/unhappiness bonus and/or add more tiredness instead...

I approve of the traits, but having both of them at the same time? Not so sure, I for one have never met someone who is dyslextic and also a bookworm, for me they can't co-exist. Someone elses input on this?

Hehe, that was a last minute idea on my behalf :) I did not want to offend anyone possibly dyslexic who likes to read... Maybe this is nothing to consider realistically... 

I approve of the traits, but having both of them at the same time? Not so sure, I for one have never met someone who is dyslextic and also a bookworm, for me they can't co-exist. Someone elses input on this?

It would be handled like the Strong/Stout/Feeble/Weak-Traits: Choose one and the other three aren't selectable.

Okay that clears it out :)

I think it wouldn't make sense to take both, because you weaken yourself (negative trait - get points) to make you at some other domain an "expert" (positive trait - lose points). But of course this can be discussed :D

Well... I think it's possible to be both. A person with dyslexia can still be capable of reading and could conceivably enjoy reading a great deal. Having dyslexia would negate the speed bonus, but the character would still be getting the happiness and boredom bonuses from reading a book, even if it takes longer to finish it.

I dunno, though. Maybe it could be possible, but I dunno.

Well... I think it's possible to be both. A person with dyslexia can still be capable of reading and could conceivably enjoy reading a great deal. Having dyslexia would negate the speed bonus, but the character would still be getting the happiness and boredom bonuses from reading a book, even if it takes longer to finish it.

I dunno, though. Maybe it could be possible, but I dunno.

Yeah, you can enjoy yourself reading even if you're slow at it. My suggestion were, if "dyslexia" gives 1+ point and "bookworm" takes 1- point, then it would make technically no sense, except you want this :)

The cost and gain might not be even, depending on how powerful the benefits are as opposed to how inhibiting the detriments would be. Dyslexia might give more than taking bookworm costs because it's deemed that you lose more than you gain, or vise versa.

Unsure, though. Reading is probably one of the only ways a character would be able to pass the time, and a character with dyslexia would either be forced to deal with the tedium of trying to read to pass the time (and maybe get angry or frustrated trying to progress?) or be forced to seek out other means of idle entertainment.

This whole thing requires more thought.

maybe get angry or frustrated trying to progress?

I like this idea.

I definitely need more game experience to be able to suggest a balanced solution. In the meanwhile, let the brainstorming continue!  :)