Soft Rest Help

Loki

There is no magical softreset file as far as I know. Make a copy of the shell script you use to start up the server and open it in editor. Before the -cp parameter, add a new parameter, -Dsoftreset. Also up the memory parameters in the script to as high as your environment allows. Run the script you just edited, it'll take a long time and potentially run out of memory anyway. If not, you have most likely successfully soft reset your server.

There is no magical softreset file as far as I know. Make a copy of the shell script you use to start up the server and open it in editor. Before the -cp parameter, add a new parameter, -Dsoftreset. Also up the memory parameters in the script to as high as your environment allows. Run the script you just edited, it'll take a long time and potentially run out of memory anyway. If not, you have most likely successfully soft reset your server

I ran the script, initially after it ran for a bit I recieved a Java error about memory. 

I then increased the memory parameters but recieved this error.

./projectzomboid-dedi-server.sh: line 28:  2604 Killed                  XMODIFIERS= java -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" -Xms6144m -Xmx6144m -XX:-UseSplitVerifier -Dsoftreset -cp "${JARPATH}" zombie.network.GameServer "$@"

Is this even an error at all? And if so, what does it mean?

It means the process was killed, probably because the OS ran out of memory. You might want to lower the memory settings a bit and try again.

Yeah the OS ran out of Memory. AFAIK you need quite a ridiculous amount of RAM in order to successfully pull off the soft reset unless you do a convoluted method that someone talked about in the forum. I'll go see if I can find it.

It means the process was killed, probably because the OS ran out of memory. You might want to lower the memory settings a bit and try again.

Yeah the OS ran out of Memory. AFAIK you need quite a ridiculous amount of RAM in order to successfully pull off the soft reset unless you do a convoluted method that someone talked about in the forum. I'll go see if I can find it.

I saw that method about cutting the SoftResetted files and putting them somewhere safe, then running it again so that it Soft Resets the rest of the files.

My issue with this is that when I try and move things in WinSCP, ESPECIALLY servertest files, it takes ridiculously long.

I saw that method about cutting the SoftResetted files and putting them somewhere safe, then running it again so that it Soft Resets the rest of the files.

My issue with this is that when I try and move things in WinSCP, ESPECIALLY servertest files, it takes ridiculously long.

Are you moving the files internally within the server or with WinSCP or trying to put them on your computer?

Are you moving the files internally within the server or with WinSCP or trying to put them on your computer?

I'm not really that versed with Linux to move them by command.  First I tried moving them to my pc but realized quickly that download would take too long.  So I then tried moving them within WinSCP to another folder, but that too took very very long.  

I'm not really that versed with Linux to move them by command.  First I tried moving them to my pc but realized quickly that download would take too long.  So I then tried moving them within WinSCP to another folder, but that too took very very long.  

I'll look for a better alternative to WinSCP to see if there are any programs that would make it expedient. 

I'll look for a better alternative to WinSCP to see if there are any programs that would make it expedient. 

Excellent.. Hopefully the devs can figure out a way to insure the soft reset doesn't outgrow the server in terms of memory.

Alternatively, use Google and learn how to use the Linux mv command. It's not rocket science. There are also semi-graphical tools such as mc (Midnight Commander) that can be easier to use than pure command line.

Yes, there's also that of course. :P

followed all the steps after reading through this topic.  practically hard reset my server and even server options were reset along side every character.
mm yes it worked but lol hard reset takes less time and is 100x easier at least i find it to be. 

Any solutions to only resetting containers clean dead zombies// respawn default zombie counts that were set via server options

• 4 weeks later...

i have soft resets working smoothly on my main and my test server

Soft resets all depend on your ability to allocate ram to your server.  On the Test server i allocated 20gb of ram just for shits and giggles, was more than enough to soft reset, Looking at system properties i was running a solid 12gb of ram usage the whole time performing the soft reset.  I did not have to move files to a folder and my java did not crash

and just to be safe yes, i back up the reset the world ID just to be safe

i have soft resets working smoothly on my main and my test server

Soft resets all depend on your ability to allocate ram to your server.  On the Test server i allocated 20gb of ram just for shits and giggles, was more than enough to soft reset, Looking at system properties i was running a solid 12gb of ram usage the whole time performing the soft reset.  I did not have to move files to a folder and my java did not crash

and just to be safe yes, i back up the reset the world ID just to be safe

Yeah I believe someone pointed that out a bit ago now, it's just the problem is most people don't have the RAM to dedicate to a soft reset, so many people couldn't perform it.