Pre-Apocalypse

films

So I recently bought Project Zomboid and saw everything I could ask for in a zombie game. Ever since I was 10 , I've always wondered how I'd do in a zombie apocalypse.
Currently NPCs and Vehicles are in the works but after they are released into the public, I was thinking of all the zombie movies and comics I've seen where everything is normal up until the middle of the day where they start noticing something's up. Usually, this is where everything get's crazed up and becomes hard. At this point, it is hard to think as everyone runs around and all chaos is happening. I'd like to get that adrenaline. I'd love to see cars crashing and see how the infection spreads. It starts off with just spawning one zombie, then some people getting bit (if the player decides to stop the infection quick, might as well spawn multiple zombies) but that all depends on the re-animation time. I've always loved this part in every zombie films,comics and games but usually on a linear point of view. Project Zomboid plays on how the player reacts to every situation. That's why I came to like this game :) 
I just hope this really gets added into the game. If not, oh well. There's no harm in trying to suggest.

I am sorry, I didn't notice the commonly suggested suggestions.
My bad. Sad that it won't get accepted. Still love the game no matter what :)

Though there is one thing I would like to know, why won't it be added?

Point taken but that would be after most features added. With that, won't the developers have free time or something?
About the supplies thing, yeah that sums up a good idea on why they won't. Hmmm... Perhaps they could add police security or something?

Fact is, there's only so much you can do with a game and many people seem to underestimate the sheer complexity of simulating 'before'. It just wouldn't work without including 'fake' elements, which would kinda detract from the dynamic sense the game's going for. 

Also, if you mean surviving police elements after the initial chaos, I don't see why that would be overly difficult to mod in once NPCs are fully in. Hell, they'd essentially just be another survivor group with extra skills/equipment. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how the metagame is set out. ;)

Maybe not pre-apo but short after start? Some more chaos after you spawn into the game? A good amount of humans and zombies running around- nothing realy new. They would kill each other and after some time the game would continue just like it start right now. Only difference is that the environment around you got changed dynamicly. Maybe NPC groups could also form dynamicly then.

I would like to know if it would be possible to control starting NPC density and starting Zombie density. Set NPC density to as high as possible and set Zombie density to as low as possible. Then set resources to highest setting. First few days see all hell breaking loose as all the NPCs form groups and fight over supplies while zeds pour in from all corners of the map and descend on the fighting NPCs.

Most of the resources like food and weapons would probably be consumed during the initial days while NPC population is still high. After a week or so most of the NPCs would be dead, having killed each other off while fighting for resources while zeds tore apart the weaker or battle-weary groups.

That seems like the most plausible way to do it without changing any code, though I doubt the game engine could handle such a huge amount of meta events going on.

The problem is that the NPCs would just kill it straight away or the devs would have to make them completely defenceless.

Actually, having the nPCs kill the 'patient zero' could be a nice start. With all this killing there is bound to be some blood flying... and some guys who will wake up the next morning with a new ...craving. Repeat until drop. ;-)

The only problem with that would be the need to simulate a few days of 'normal' activity progressively becoming more ...strained as the infection starts taking its toll. Nice and mood-building, even if rather time-consuming to code in.

Personally, I'd like to see some more backstory (some bits and pieces are planned, yes), quite along the lines of what Kajin suggests - maybe a wee bit later, when its already obvious that the town(s) is already doomed. Frantic and desparate, with the available information being flaky and conveyed in a during-reloading-my-shotgun manner.

This 'normal' activity isn't really going to be fully possible though. If you want something realistic, you'll have to program a whole life simulator, and that's a game in itself. Sure, you could just have NPCs wandering about randomly, but that's hardly going to fit the scene. I'm sure there'll be a setting for NPC density, and you'll probably be able to set it high (depending on whether the engine could handle it), but the NPCs are being developed to simulate post-apocalyptic behaviour, not before.

If you want to try a good patient zero style zombie game with lots and lots of custom options, try Rouge Survivor. Really. It's a rouge-like but incredibly fun for what it offers. 

I'd like to see some type of backstory too, but in the form of a diary or notes. 

The scenario I posed is pretty much the closest we could possibly get to a pre-apocalypse mode in Vanilla PZ, where there's a huge number of survivor NPCs fighting it out while zeds run rampant. And, quite frankly, it's the only sort of early game scenario I care about. Everything has already gone to shit and the survivors are fighting each other, trying to secure enough weapons and supplies to protect themselves as things go even further down the tube. No sort of peaceful before. No patient zero. Just survivors already acting like they would had the world ended, because it pretty much has. No real modifications to the game as it stands other than modifying the number of starting survivors to as high as the engine can handle and adjusting loot levels to accommodate the larger number of active people in the beginning. 

If you want to try a good patient zero style zombie game with lots and lots of custom options, try Rouge Survivor. Really. It's a rouge-like but incredibly fun for what it offers. 

Rouge Survivor? I think you mean Rogue. Rouge is a kind of makeup for women.

I think it would be interesting to have just a bunch of people simulated to be dicks and loners in a simulation with no zombies, there could be an option of full pcs and no zombies even in sandbox. I think it'd still be fun, and it wouldn't take any extra coding. I mean there's still a quarentine around the city, and it's not like there's an economy or anyone to restock the stores. Be in the neighbor hood and see guys on their porch with guns shooting gangs that spawned with no food in their house, go to the cities and see mass looters and turf wars, cars crashing everywhere, ai coming up with crazy gunpowder pacts that dissolve minutes after they're made, people avoiding the rain as if it's acid, after a while there would be just empty streets with the occasional military clean up. It'd be a sickness epidemic simulator in it's own right, and it would be an interesting sandbox game that requires no extra coding, a guy can hope!

• 4 weeks later...

I think a good way for this to work without being too much heavy work, would be something along the lines of what i read.

HIGH NPC's 

-ALL or MOST SPAWN INSIDE HOUSES

-ALL or MOST WITH A ZOMBIFICATION TIMER
-ALL or MOST WITH BASIC WEAPONS OR NO WEAPONS AT ALL

ZOMBIES

-LOW SPAWN OUTSIDE

THIS EVEN SHOULD HAPPEN ON A SINGLE OR PORTION OF A CELL(S), ANYTHING PAST SHOULD JUST BE NORMAL.

(this to avoid huge overload of meta data events all throughout the map, who'd care that much if we couldn't see them anyhow)

This would be really cool, but who cares, it also wouldn't make sense reading journals, if you start at (Day 1) and you see/read journals that were written a long time ago. 

As good as it is, the devs have put it in their Big No's. :(

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

[n]    Beginning the game before the infection

[n] - This is a confirmed 'No' from the development team. Please don't waste your time or ours reposting unless there's something relevant and new about it

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

there will be no game play leading up to the day the zombies showed up.