Deterioration is something I would really love to see in the long run, I understand that in the sandbox options there are decomposition settings, however visual representations of this would be really cool.  Using The Walking Dead for an example (since the devs seem to use it quite a lot), take a loot at the zombies in the first season, second season, third and fourth seasons and notice the change, in the first season they were pretty fast and strong and could even climb over things (watch 'Guts' and you'll notice the zombie climbing the gate).  However the thing which stands out is how decomposed they've become.

I think that in PZ if there were say 3 or 4 different zombie 'base' models which would change over time, this could be a huge visual enhancement, seeing all of the really skinny and rotting zombies and being able to tell how frail they are just by looking at them would help to distinguish the old and new.

This would also affect corpses, over time corpses would change until they're basically skeletal with bits of flesh hanging off the bones ('living' zombies would never reach this stage because they'rr zombies and zombies do not become skeletons).

World deterioration I believe is already planned (the world becoming more overgrown and crumbly over time).

And for the sake of the post, zombies eating corpses would also be a great feature as has been suggested a lot.  I understand it goes against Romero lore but honestly f*** Romero lore, when people think of zombies they generally think of shambling corpses coming to eat you.  Now this could be a sandbox option (whether they only eat the living, whether they eat fresh corpses too and whether they'll eat anything).

-Ben

f*** Romero lore

What?

tumblr_lwg6cwaMzA1qzjix8.gif

I just don't like how everyone will jump on that suggestion anytime someone mentions it saying "IT DOESN'T FIT ROMERO LORE", however by my knowledge of Romero lore shouldn't the zombies all evolve and learn their old jobs again or something?

Forgive me, I just haven't been fond of Romero since he called TWD a "soap opera with zombies" as if his zombies were the only zombies that were interesting.

I mention that it should be a sandbox option since sandbox is basically the lore pick'n'mix.

-Ben

Offtopic
I think what the devs are going at with the "Romero lore" mostly applies to the first 2 movies and let's not forget that Max Brooks has an influence too.

Also tbh twd is soap opera with zombies and there's nothing wrong with it. The main driving force behind the stories are how people manage with each other and not how they manage with zombies what I see with Romero. Also I think Romero has some slightly deeper psychology behind the movies.

To say fuck Romero lore is a bit much though in context where the game developers themselves have explicitly said is a huge influence to their views of zombies

To the topic: you can already weaken the zombies in time via the sandbox options. I'm not 100 % sure that it's working, but I think what your suggesting is mostly covered by that option.

In regards to zombies eating corpses, I don't personally see that much addition or benefits in the idea, but each to their own.

Offtopic
I think what the devs are going at with the "Romero lore" mostly applies to the first 2 movies and let's not forget that Max Brooks has an influence too.

Also tbh twd is soap opera with zombies and there's nothing wrong with it. The main driving force behind the stories are how people manage with each other and not how they manage with zombies what I see with Romero. Also I think Romero has some slightly deeper psychology behind the movies.

To say fuck Romero lore is a bit much though in context where the game developers themselves have explicitly said is a huge influence to their views of zombies

To the topic: you can already weaken the zombies in time via the sandbox options. I'm not 100 % sure that it's working, but I think what your suggesting is mostly covered by that option.

In regards to zombies eating corpses, I don't personally see that much addition or benefits in the idea, but each to their own.

Yeah I dunno I just found it a bit stuck up for him to say that when they asked him if he wanted to direct an episode.  I'm fine with the way the zombies are but I do believe that having them eat would make sense, it doesn't seem to me as though a large horde would all swarm a single person and bite him a couple of times and then walk away, the way they come after you is relentless and I think that in that situation you would be torn to pieces and eaten.  

It would also serve as a pretty cool atmospheric thing to see some zombies chewing on corpses (again it would be a sandbox option), and I can imagine that if you character had a good relationship with an NPC and saw them being eaten alive or found zombies eating their corpse, it would affect your player mentally (which I believe is something the devs had in mind from the start, mental stability)

And as for my idea, I mentioned the sandbox setting for decomposition, basically what I'm suggesting is a visual indication of this.  Although the zombies do get weaker, we can't actually see these changes visually and I think that it could be a good aesthetic change along with the environment changing over time.

-Ben

Yeah, I do see where you're coming from and it has it's appeal, but it's not just my kind of cake. :) actually I could go with corpses being chewed on for a while and so that if a horde gets you you're pretty much chewed. :D

Basically the way I see it is that if it's only one or two zombies then they would not be fully eaten, only slightly chewed, however if there was a massive horde I just don't think there's any way that you'd be able to become a zombie after being torn into by that many, I think in that case then you'd be devoured entirely since you're still 'fresh', but one or two would leave to find fresher meat.

Yeah i hate when people suggest things hating on Romero/Brooks lore, if you don't like that lore this is not the game for you. Please don't think that you're "cool idea" will sway TiS (and all of us here) into liking a game that isn't based on Romero/Brooks.

This game should be renamed Night of the Living Zombie Survival Guide really because that is what it is. So yes, sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but please don't come into my home and say f*** Romero :)

In terms of your suggestion, have you tried the erosion mod? It's basically the best mod out there and does a lot of what you're talking about (well, not the corpses eating each other or getting skinnier but the back to nature, Last of Us/Walking Dead regrowth stuff) and is awesome. I think its planned to be incorporated into vanilla but its available now and easy to install so you may as well give it a shot. 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3782-erosion-nature-takes-over/