Does anyone even use sandbag or barbed wire fences?

Rikashey

I don't really see the point of them other than for cosmetics. Players and zombies can parkour over them like a normal fence so what's the point? I'd think barbed wire fences would stop or at least hurt those that try to jump over it. Sandbag seems like should be more of a barrier than a fence.

I've never really even used them so I dunno. It's much more efficient to build everything out of wood. There should be pros and cons to materials and the things you build so that people can make more diverse and interesting safehouses.

I believe it was always intended that barbed wire has a chance to scratch the player when they vault it.

It's just not been implemented yet.

I always threaten to use barbed wire but at 1 "roll" per tile it makes it very difficult to use it in mass and I end up hording it like an invaluable treasure.

I'll use it one day!... My precious barbed wire....

I don't see why we would need to take cover from zombies, and the game isn't pvp focused so....

Multiplayer.

Edit.

Not being PvP oriented doesnt mean there wont be a situation where for example you have to defend your safehouse. Having sandbags on the roof to give You advantage over attackers will be helpfull.

I don't see why we would need to take cover from zombies, and the game isn't pvp focused so....

In my time playing multiplayer I have gotten into many gunfights (which I didn't intend to get into), having a cover system will make this much more entertaining and give you more of a chance to survive, plus it can be used for ducking low and sneaking past zombies.  NPCs are also a factor, I highly doubt that all NPCs will be friendly, and I assume that there will be gunfights with them too.

its not about taking cover from zeds ... and its not "only" related to multiplayer aswell 

singleplayer NPC's with guns ... 

i very much appreciate a cover system for gunfights ... be it vs other players or NPC's

There was a neat and simple suggestion earlier that'd make sense especially with wire fences, making them much more useful: the wire fence object having capacity, like liquids do now, and thus being able to deploy more than one adjacent tile of fence tile from one fence item. You don't really get that stuff in one meter pieces IRL.

useless for NOW maybe. but who knows what will be coming to us further down the line.

i swear some of the people in here think everything will stay the way it is right now, and they do nothing but bitch about things whose purpose has not yet been expanded.

and no rikashey, i am not aiming this post at you.

useless for NOW maybe. but who knows what will be coming to us further down the line.

i swear some of the people in here think everything will stay the way it is right now, and they do nothing but bitch about things whose purpose has not yet been expanded.

If an item is useless it's useless, regardless of what future implementation it might have. Until changes are confirmed in a solid form or implemented, they are useless. The only person i see bitching in this thread is you. The thread is about rather or not people use barbwire or sandbags for defense in which they obviously don't. Meaning these things need to be looked into and balanced out. Don't get an attitude with other people for saying something true, most of us prefer not to turn a blind eye to everything and just say "Oh they will get to it eventually".

If an item is useless it's useless, regardless of what future implementation it might have. Until changes are confirmed in a solid form or implemented, they are useless. The only person i see bitching in this thread is you. The thread is about rather or not people use barbwire or sandbags for defense in which they obviously don't. Meaning these things need to be looked into and balanced out. Don't get an attitude with other people for saying something true, most of us prefer not to turn a blind eye to everything and just say "Oh they will get to it eventually".

then i guess most of YOU fail to realize the truth of the matter, which is that the game is still in early(ish) development and many things are more important than making sure the amount of barbed wire it takes to cover area X with one roll is adequate.

as far as the bitching goes, i'm not the one complaining about this that and the other. I am the one who does in fact understand that they willl get to smaller things when they have the time to focus on the smaller things. until then, i will happily enjoy the much more important things they are working on that make the game funner to play.

Of course it's in early access, however i fail to see how that is relevant. The OP asked if we used barb wire, and we responded that we didn't because currently it has no purpose. And here you go whining about how people are always complaining. At least get the purpose of the thread before lecturing people about being ungrateful.

I I think a good usage for barbwire would be some sort of trap that you could use to catch people with. Of course this wouldn't be that useful against zombies seeing they couldn't be killed by it most of the time but it would be useful in crowd controlling them or even catching looters/bandits in multiplayer trying to take your stuff if they aren't careful.

As far as the low drop rate of barbwire, even if it's rare they probably should be stored in bulk. So instead of finding just 1 roll you would find 5-10.

I I think a good usage for barbwire would be some sort of trap that you could use to catch people with. Of course this wouldn't be that useful against zombies seeing they couldn't be killed by it most of the time but it would be useful in crowd controlling them or even catching looters/bandits in multiplayer trying to take your stuff if they aren't careful.

As far as the low drop rate of barbwire, even if it's rare they probably should be stored in bulk. So instead of finding just 1 roll you would find 5-10.

I always thought the barbed wire and sandbags were more of a thing that would be used to defend against other people, whether it be other players or NPCs. So of course I also thought that you never really found them since their spawn rate was low as they were supposed to be rare since they will (eventually) be valuable. For now, I never use them since there's really no reason to use them against zeds, and as others have said, they don't cover much ground easily.

If they were only easier to find, sandbags would be a great defense against people with guns. I mean, come on, it's dirt in a bag, can we really only put it in one specific bag that's really rare for no apparent reason?  I bet the dozen or so duffelbags and backpacks I have stashed would work just fine.

Barbed wire, on the other hand, almost seems like too much of a pain to bother with no matter how much you could get.  If you want to leave your base at all you have to leave an opening in the barbed wire to get in and out, and then the thieves will just use that.  And if you plan to stay holed up in your base forever wooden walls are what you want - they completley block movement and line of sight when built correctly.  Surround your base with those and it'll keep players and zombies out far more effectively than a fence they can vault right over at the cost of a single scratch,