Writing Notes/Journals

Fox0427

I thought this would've been suggested already, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I guess I'll suggest it.

So in-game you can craft a journal with an empty notebook and a pen/pencil, but I think this could be improved upon. I think there should be some sort of multiplayer option to be able to actually write in them, so if you die and someone finds your body, they have a journal you wrote of your adventures. Journals could have multiple pages you could write in, and then you could also write on paper which would be a little more limited, but you wouldn't have to waste a whole journal. Maybe someone who's dying could leave a bag full of their stuff somewhere and a note or journal for anyone who finds it.

To add to realism though, here's something. You can find journals and notes on the bodies of NPCs, zombies, in trash cans or desks, all sorts of stuff. And they could have some sort of prewritten stuff in them, but I'm not sure how the prewritten stuff could be implemented without finding a lot of the same... Anyway, what does everyone else think?

It would give a use to pencils and pens. Which you find all over the place.

They already have a use, to make a journal out of the empty notebook you (obliously) need a pen/pencil, the pen/pencil is right now being used up, meaning it dissapears after just writing one thing so I feel it's good to stack up on them. I'm not sure if this is intended  or a bug though.

The user-made notes could be fun. I really like the idea that there could be notes scattered all through the world in SP that give snippets of people's experiences in the apocalypse, in a way a bit like The Last of Us used environmental elements to tell a story of the lengths people went to to survive.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for necroposting, but this suggestion didn't get the attention it deserves.

Let me add some thoughts:

The game can recognize moments that are special to you, like for example, you meet a new survivor, or found a big storage of food. Special moments and prewritten and automatically appear in your notebook/diary, but you can add your own notes as well.

Think of the potential of the diary as a questlog. When there are quest ingame you'll need a notebook or diary to take (automatically) notes about a certain quest. If you don't, you have to remember the quest details.

The book can have different sections:
1. Diary; Keep track of events that were important to you. The choice of words can depend on the characters mood and sanity.

2. Questlog; Keep track of your quest. As Project Zomboid is a realistic game, there won't be questmarkers that show you where to go. If you want to be successful, write down all the important details. You can store notes from quests or other players in this section.

3. Friends&Foes; You can look up people you've met. All NPCs you meet get an entry in your notebook. The more you learn about an NPC, the more information you'll find in your notebook.

4. Other Stuff; Store a map inside your book, once you find one. You can draw on the map, marking specific places. If there're going to be street names in Project Zomboid, the map can be super useful. Or add your own notes that don't belong anywhere else.

I just love the role-play potential this idea has. Imagine you find the corpse of a truly devoted player who wrote a real journal ingame, and read his story. After that, find out where he lived and loot the place.

Jago

I really like Jago's ideas, however, I have two more:

1. Custom writing: You can write your own stuff in the journal, where a text pane opens and you type what your character is thinking into it, rather than what I was understanding Jago's idea to be of prewritten entries appearing in it (unless, of course, I'm completely wrong in my perception, in which case, I'm sorry). Maybe an automatic list of things you did each day, too.

2. Exportation: This one's a long shot, but still. You could make it so that you can export the journal to a text document upon death, making it easier to share with other people. Are you particularly proud of a certain play through? Simply export and print your journal to share it with your friends!

• 3 weeks later...

If such writing update is to be added I would definitely love to see spray cans to write on walls. It would be useful in multiplayer to write warnings on walls, mark buildings you've already looted, or rooms with zombies you trapped you inside "don't open, dead inside"...etc.

• 6 months later...

I really like Jago's ideas, however, I have two more:

1. Custom writing: You can write your own stuff in the journal, where a text pane opens and you type what your character is thinking into it, rather than what I was understanding Jago's idea to be of prewritten entries appearing in it (unless, of course, I'm completely wrong in my perception, in which case, I'm sorry). Maybe an automatic list of things you did each day, too.

2. Exportation: This one's a long shot, but still. You could make it so that you can export the journal to a text document upon death, making it easier to share with other people. Are you particularly proud of a certain play through? Simply export and print your journal to share it with your friends!

You should know that not only was your idea was implemented I've just chanced upon it.

I'm presently looking for a way to export it. 

I'm loving this addition, it's come at a perfect time for me. My character has just fractured his leg and this gives him a perfect time to reflect, an excuse, if you will.

I want to export it and put it in the RP section for others to read. I love to write and although I know I'm no Hemingway I do think I have a flare for the dramatic. I'm going to love posting them.

Top suggestion.

This! Totally something that should be in vanillia!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree and i am pretty sure that this in multiplayer would be great because each person could write he's journal e.x "Day 5, I walked north, where a couple of meters away i found a house. I opened the door and i faced a zombie famiy" etc

I agree and i am pretty sure that this in multiplayer would be great because each person could write he's journal e.x "Day 5, I walked north, where a couple of meters away i found a house. I opened the door and i faced a zombie famiy" etc

I think they should be uploaded (with the permission of the person playing) to a central database of stories. These could appear as sheets of paper on a cork-board that survivors have left.

This could be displayed on the PZ website as advertisement (if people go to the lengths to write stuff like that in game it will attract like-minded people to the game) and/or could be graphically represented on the PZ main screen at load. So instead of the husband and wife you get the husband and wife with a local train station with a billboard full of "Where are you Emily, I pray to god you're safe" messages.

Just my 2p

In my RP MP server we have a notebook on the bookshelf titled "SHOPPING LIST" that we reference and keep updated for items/loot that we need. That way every player on our server can check it and know what the colony needs.

What's the difficulty / other parameters. If it's really tough I'd be interested in joining.