Using bleach to cover the smell of humanity

JoeM

What do people think of the idea of players using bleach to cover their scent?

As water becomes more and more scarce, hygiene is likely to suffer and a human running around in the sun, fighting zombies, building fortifications and so on is going to smell pretty bad after just a few days without bathing. Eventually zombies must be able to pick up that smell, particularly in places where humans spend a lot of time.

I'd like to see a feature (possibly a mod?) where bleach can be splashed around your safehouse to cover your character's scent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Will Smith's character in I Am Legend used bleach (or similar) to disguise his home from the monsters.

This feature could also be used to deter dogs (owned either by NPCs or other players) from tracking you.

What do you think? Could this be a feasible inclusion to the game or would it require an entirely new "scent signature" process to be built?

whatever it was will smith used , I like the idea.

not that it made any sense in the movie as the zombies there were obviously sentient and would not smell the "human scent, but bleacvh which might be suspicious anyways... but for the dumb zombies from PZ it actually makes perfect sense.

as does taking a shower, washing etc. which I assume will be implemented down the line...

+1 from me

The Big No's!

These are a list of things that are either vehemently opposed by the majority of the community, confirmed "no's" by the dev team, or impossible within the game as it is. I'm going to try to make this completely unbiased, but if you disagree with anything posted feel free to mention it. The most important ones are highlighted in red. If you take nothing else from this thread, please pay attention to these.

[n] Personal Hygiene (going to the bathroom, etc.)

[n] Zombie Camo, or Using Zombie Guts as a Disguise

i think the bleach thing is not exactly zombie camo, but same category

well.. so if you up the difficulty and give zombies bloodhound smell, there´s no ingame counter to that other than killing them all until you get swarmed ?

covering your base is not the ability to walk around among the undead and hide in plain sight.

bleach as masking / cleaning of blood is also not exactly hygiene as in having to go to the toilet.

people get sick walking around in guts and blood. so it certainly would fit in the game , at least from my perspective.

and as long as you dont kill (which is a perfectly fine choice to play) you would never have to worry about getting blood-soaked and maybe sick from that.

But I want to be able to clean my base, and clean my clothes and feel relieved when i am able to take a shower...

I have an image that bleach on bare skin isn't that healthy for you. :/

I think this would suit better as a mod. Showering etc. have been suggested quite a bit and the devs don't want it as a thing that you have to do as they wish to avoid things that add micro management. Although iirc Mash said that they might enable showering and add a small buff to it. Maybe as you suggested it could lower your scent for a while as well as add some happiness, less likely to get ill etc.

I have an image that bleach on bare skin isn't that healthy for you. :/

I think this would suit better as a mod. Showering etc. have been suggested quite a bit and the devs don't want it as a thing that you have to do as they wish to avoid things that add micro management. Although iirc Mash said that they might enable showering and add a small buff to it. Maybe as you suggested it could lower your scent for a while as well as add some happiness, less likely to get ill etc.

Its a shame that they dont want micro management. :( I think thats missing in PZ... some more detail so the world feels more right.

For the suggestion, I dont realy think its a good idea. Pour bleach on your skin and... well its not good. Pour bleach everywhere around your house and you will most likley get sick because of the smell. Would be some kind of anti-suggestion then. (Or you can go to some house in multiplayer and f**k up another guys safehouse... lol)

Its a shame that they dont want micro management. :( I think thats missing in PZ... some more detail so the world feels more right.

Micro management and details aren't the same things at all ! Details to make the world more credible will come in the future, but for now they have more important stuff to make & fix.

Micro management is something you really don't want in the vanilla game. Imagine if you had to shower, poop, brush your teeth, eat, wash the dishes etc... at the end of the day you'd just be playing The Sims in an apocalyptic world, that's not what this game is about ;o

Maybe some mods will come in the future tho.

As for the suggestion, I don't see that happening in the vanilla game either. Plus bleach have a particular smell that's nothing like the smell of death and rotting corpses, it should more likely make your char easier to be sniffed by Z imo.

Do zombies in this game even hunt by smell?  This might change in the future, but I was under the impression that, at least for now, they hunt based exculsively on sight and hearing.

If they do start to sniff you out, pouring bleach on your tracks might make a decent zombie deterrent.  Assuming they're stupid enough that they file smells as "prey" or "not prey," bleach would certainly fall in the latter category and thus they wouldn't be able to follow your tracks or sniff out your safehouse.

I wouldn't worry about humans noticing the smell and using it to locate you - if you have a safehouse you're trying to protect, chances are there are more telltale signs that someone lives there, like fences/walls or boarded-up windows.

/snap

Micro management and details aren't the same things at all ! Details to make the world more credible will come in the future, but for now they have more important stuff to make & fix.

Micro management is something you really don't want in the vanilla game. Imagine if you had to shower, poop, brush your teeth, eat, wash the dishes etc... at the end of the day you'd just be playing The Sims in an apocalyptic world, that's not what this game is about ;o

Maybe some mods will come in the future tho.

/snap

Yea but I think hygiene is something quite important especialy when NPCs will be added. Many people at one place and no baths for weeks? Diseases... diseases everywhere...

It would make water something you realy need. Not just some water for drinking... a few barrels and problem is solved. When you have a group of people you would realy need a good source of water. Build your safehouse near the river or next to a well. If not, get some canisters + some people and move to the next big water source so your people have water. <- I think this would be pretty interesting.

But eh, thats pretty offtopic actually...

Yea but I think hygiene is something quite important especialy when NPCs will be added. Many people at one place and no baths for weeks? Diseases... diseases everywhere...

It would make water something you realy need. Not just some water for drinking... a few barrels and problem is solved. When you have a group of people you would realy need a good source of water. Build your safehouse near the river or next to a well. If not, get some canisters + some people and move to the next big water source so your people have water. <- I think this would be pretty interesting.

But eh, thats pretty offtopic actually...

Yeah that's pretty offtopic but that makes sense ;p

And it doesn't fall into the "micro-management label" anymore. I mean if we're talking about cleaning yourself to avoid deseases and infections, it's not about showering everyday to smell like a fresh flower. I like the idea of adding more use for water just to make it more scarce.

(would make a good use for those towels as well)

As for the suggestion, I don't see that happening in the vanilla game either. Plus bleach have a particular smell that's nothing like the smell of death and rotting corpses, it should more likely make your char easier to be sniffed by Z imo.

yeah, an un-showered human is more likely to smell like rotting flesh, as there would be all sorts of bits of dead human flesh on the unwashed skin

Edit: When I don't shower for a few days, my crotch smells like death!