Please make it so zed bodies disappear after time.

Rikashey

The big problem with lag in multiplayer comes from all the mass amount of dead zombie bodies littering the streets. It bogs down my pc along with others. It's a major problem and I think there needs to be some sort of system in place that eliminates the bodies after time.

Please make it so that the game does it automatically. Give server admins the option to do it manually.

At least give us some sort of temporary fix until there is an in-game lore friendly way to do it.

I have to very strongly vote against automatically removing the corpses. With no corpses it takes a lot away from the game as it would leave it too clean. The high amount of bodies is a display of progress and your survival skills. It's also one of my favorite features.

I would absolutely love a way to (re)move the corpses that is lore-friendly too though, so they aren't stinking up my stronghold.

It's still beta so I'm sure there will be optimizations and performance increases as they work on it.

maybe you are on it, maybe not. 

try to understand something, and this goes for a few others as well. just because someone replies to a thread, that does NOT mean they are directly replying to the OP. personally, i hate cluttering up a page with numerous quote boxes.

now, read the post above mine, then read my reply. applying my reply to the OP would not make a bit of sense. but in the post by Vain, he asks for a way to remove bodies from his stronghold

got it? good.

yeah, body removal will be along when they can be sure it's exploit free. leaving a body in your house will have health implications in future builds.

Why do you put me on your ignore list then reply to my threads?

Rikashey, word to the wise. If someone puts you on their ignore list, don't antagonize them. He posted a helpful, relevant reply in this thread and your reply polluted your own thread with off topic drama. Consider this a friendly verbal warning. Don't.

On topic, as sfy said, body removal is planned. Being able to move bodies was actually in-game for a build or two in closed testing but had to be removed due to things and stuff. It will make a return eventually.

Edit: Aaaaand this also isn't a Support topic. Please don't post suggestions in support. Consider this a final verbal warning- use the forums the way they're meant to be used, please. Moved to suggestions.

yeah, body removal will be along when they can be sure it's exploit free. leaving a body in your house will have health implications in future builds.

because he can:P

BTT: i wouldn't like magically disappearing bodys eaither. Would break the feel.

but as sfy said and as i said in another thread covering almost the same topic, removal of bodies is coming (burning bodies aswell afaik)

Edit: Aaaaand this also isn't a Support topic. Please don't post suggestions in support. Consider this a final verbal warning- use the forums the way they're meant to be used, please. Moved to suggestions.

It is a support topic. Like I said, the bodies cause major lag and slowdown which is a technical issue. It's a problem that needs to be fixed. This thread could be in Suggestions but I felt this being more of a problem than a friendly suggestion to add bells and whistles to the game. I know that they're working on the lore friendly way to dispose of them but until then we shouldn't have to suffer from them bogging down our pcs.

As far as I know, soft resets should get rid of the bodies? Not 100% on that. Either way, this is still a suggestion, not a support thread. A support thread would be:

"The corpses in multiplayer start piling up and I think they might be causing server lag. Is there a current solution to this, or if not is there one on the horizon?"

As far as I know, soft resets should get rid of the bodies? Not 100% on that. Either way, this is still a suggestion, not a support thread. A support thread would be:

"The corpses in multiplayer start piling up and I think they might be causing server lag. Is there a current solution to this, or if not is there one on the horizon?"

This is true, once its implemented.

However there is no chance that bodies should be causing lag at all. The map data is sent to the client as you approach the area with bodies in it, and even a chunk with 100 bodies on it would only be marginally bigger in data transfer size since chunks are zipped up and compression is good on lots of repetitive things like zombie bodies. So if you're seeing the bodies, then its already on your own PC and loaded just as a single player game chunk would be. There is no body by body transmission going back or forth between the client and server at any point except the standard map loading. If there is lag (as in actual characters jumping about / server-client communication delays), then this is a bug that may be tangentially related to bodies but there is no reason you should get lag if everything's working as it should and thus auto removing bodies and destroying the evolution of the game world is not a good solution to this. The persistent bodies/blood are a big deal in our game and one thing we have over most other survival games.

Unless you mean an FPS drop, which is not lag at all and would occur just as much on single player and thus has nothing to do with MP, and should only affect people with low end machines if anyone at all.

We could always add this as an option of course, but would never want to force it on server operators. soft reset will do the job pretty nicely. 

My favorite thing about PZ is that I can go back and see all the corpses I left in the very beginning of the game. It's awesome to go back to a spot you were at weeks ago and still see the same blood splatter and the same dead bodies. It adds a LOT to the atmosphere of the game. As lemmy said it would be fine in graphics options to limit how many you see at a time, but not as a hard limit.

I think Rikashey was talking about FPS drops indeed. A lot of people have been reporting fps drops on the global chat of the server we're playing on.

Maybe an admin command to remove bodies around him/on his screen or something along those lines. Because it really happens in certain zombie-packed areas, those FPS drops aren't happening everywhere, and they are mostly happening in places where NO ONE will ever clean up, generally pretty far from people's safehouses.

If admins could remove only bodies in certain places, it wouldn't "bypass" the hygiene/cleaning system once the feature is in the game, players would still have to clean in and around their safe place. But areas reported as creating fps drops for certain players could be easily delt with ! and without breaking the whole atmosphere the map's acquired through time.

This is something we've been able to notice when trying to precisely avoid using soft resets (I think it was broken, don't know if it still is as I'm not the one in charge of it), So we were manually spawning large hordes around / on the edges of each cities, a few little hordes in the center and spreading them with meta-events. The accumulation of bodies can be pretty insane, and I think that's something we/you might have to deal with once the migration system kicks in !

I'd like to see other zombies that walk by stop to eat the bodies, then they eventually disappear. Might make for a neat idea for zombie traps later on.

Of course this would be an option for sandbox mode, as most people don't want the bodies to disappear.

Maybe for others an eaten zombie will look torn apart and bloody to distinguish itself from other non-consumed corpses.

wouldn´t that go against zombie lore ? 

a zombie does not eat to susatin, but out of instinct.

it also feeds on living, fresh meat.

they also seem to be able to distinguish between zombie carcass and not infected carcass.

so: laying a trap with a living, but shackeld npc: yes

laying a trap with a shackled and shot body of an npc: yes

laying a trap with  a zombie body: no, wouldn´t work. don´t know why but wouldn´t

they also seem to be able to distinguish between zombie carcass and not infected carcass.

laying a trap with a zombie body: no, wouldn´t work. don´t know why but wouldn´t

^this

laying a trap with  a zombie body: no, wouldn´t work. don´t know why but wouldn´t

Vanilla zombie lore makes no sense at all.

The lore goes against rigor mortis.

Why are the dead reanimated?

Why would the dead need to eat?

The last time I checked zombies don't poop. Since they don't poop the flesh would just pile up in their body.

Why don't zombies eat other zombies? Why does it need a fresh corpse?

Why aren't zombies alerted by other zombies? Why can zombies make a bunch of moans, groans, pounding, etc. but a human's footsteps are filtered through all the noise.

Why do bites and scratches cause you to become a zombie? Is it virus or something?

Why do zombies only truly die from getting their brain destroyed? The brain is already dead and so is the rest of the body.

Why are zombies immune to rotting away to nothingness?

Vanilla zombie lore is boring and doesn't make sense. Infections are much more interesting like the cordyceps fungus in The Last of Us. The infected actually made sense and were the most realistic I've seen. You actually felt bad for them. They were deranged infected humans whose minds were being controls by a fungus inside their head. The infected were so well done that you could just look at their behavior and see a human in pain and suffering on inside.

With the lore that PZ follows it's just boring. Doesn't evoke any emotion at all. You're just killing zombie blah blah blahs.

laying a trap with a zombie body: no, wouldn´t work. don´t know why but wouldn´t

The last time I checked zombies don't poop. Since they don't poop the flesh would just pile up in their body.

Why aren't zombies alerted by other zombies? Why can zombies make a bunch of moans, groans, pounding, etc. but a human's footsteps are filtered through all the noise.

Why do bites and scratches cause you to become a zombie? Is it virus or something?

Why do zombies only truly die from getting their brain destroyed? The brain is already dead and so is the rest of the body.

Vanilla zombie lore is boring and doesn't make sense. Infections are much more interesting like the cordyceps fungus in The Last of Us. The infected actually made sense and were the most realistic I've seen. You actually felt bad for them. They were deranged infected humans whose minds were being controls by a fungus inside their head. The infected were so well done that you could just look at their behavior and see a human in pain and suffering on inside.

With the lore that PZ follows it's just boring. Doesn't evoke any emotion at all. You're just killing zombie blah blah blahs.

But it's stated clear that PZ follows the romero lore. Just saying "it's dumb i want the last of us lore" because it's a more recent game is not going to do anything about it i guess. If you want to know more about these Kind of zombies, I would recommend the zombie survival guide. It's very much based on romero (not fully though) and one of the little selection of scientific approaches to the topic.

In Addition the brain is pretty much the only thing "alive" in a zombie, that's why destroying it is the only way

But it's stated clear that PZ follows the romero lore. Just saying "it's dumb i want the last of us lore" because it's a more recent game is not going to do anything about it i guess. If you want to know more about these Kind of zombies, I would recommend the zombie survival guide. It's very much based on romero (not fully though) and one of the little selection of scientific approaches to the topic.

In Addition the brain is pretty much the only thing "alive" in a zombie, that's why destroying it is the only way

Look, the romero lore or survival guide lore or whatever the heck their following is just boring. The devs don't even try to be creative with the lore. They stick strictly to the boring nonsensical lore and never steer from it.

I'm not saying that they should add in The Last of Us lore. I'm just saying that they should be more creative with the lore. Why not make their own lore? Make something more fictionally realistic. Be creative, have some fun.

The original zombie lore is just boring and who gives a shart about the survival guide?

Some kids come up with a "survival guide" and suddenly it's official zombie lore.

I mean, I dunno man. PZ is fun game and I can see where the devs want to take it. But the way they throw away great ideas because they want to stick to the original zombie lore is just bad.

Also, why can zombies jump over fences? Why did they add it? The least they could do is make it so zombies have to break down a fence and the "lore friendly" settings for zombies aren't even realistic.

the survival guide is not made up by kids. 

author max brroks is also the author of one of THE most cited products of zombie-lore: world war Z (much much better than the movie).

what some people seem to forget is that the original romero zombie was not only a fictional horror entity, but also meant as a metaphor regarding modern society and fears of the average person during the time of the creation of those movies. 

also, never forget: it´s fiction. so even though it might sound implausible that "dead bodies reanimate and walk the earth", it works in that pictured universe. 

lightsabers are not boring are they ? would they work ? well if you can stop a laser beam from emitting further than a few feet from it´s source... good luck trying.

anyways. the original zombies worked (and still work for so many people) is crtainly not based on biological or biochemical reasons.

it is more the psychological stress. also their relentlessness. they keep on coming, no matter what you do. and destroying the brain seems to be the only thing that works to finally stop them. 

also. zombies dont jump over fences. the original lore zombies would basically walk through it or try to walk through it. 

but a fence would certainly not stop a zombie. the bad thing about zombies is the same that others already stated: one zombie on its own is not a real threat, once you can overcome the first shock and psychological implication that dead are not in fact dead at all but murderous automatons with unlimited powersupply.

but its the fact that zombies are plentiful. and if you are bored by the PZ zombies: mod yourself some new ones.

feel free to do so. 

it´s even what the devs propose and want us to do. it´s open and moddable. do that instead of complaining

on a personal note

@rikashey: ever since I read your thread "I WON PZ" or something like that, i get the feeling that most of your posts appear to be a tat negative... but of course, thats only my perception of things.

if you are bored by the game, take some weeks / months off and come back after a couple of updates and releases. I am sure it will have changed a lot in that time. 

The devs have a clear vision of what they want PZ to be, and are building a game around that. In my opinion that's a good thing, and the finished product will be all the better for it.

Starting with no core vision, and just adding anything that seems cool, is a shortcut to a messy and confused product.

I think suggesting that the dev team change their core concepts is a one that will fall on deaf ears, and given that this is the vision that the majority of paying customers have bought into would be something of a commercial disaster as well.

FYI: Max Brookes was mid-30's when World War Z was published - certainly not a 'kid'. I'd totally recommend it, as it is a great read.

@rikashey: ever since I read your thread "I WON PZ" or something like that, i get the feeling that most of your posts appear to be a tat negative... but of course, thats only my perception of things.

if you are bored by the game, take some weeks / months off and come back after a couple of updates and releases. I am sure it will have changed a lot in that time. 

Once you've beaten something and have done and seen everything you can really step back and see the game's flaws. Yes, i know the game isn't finished.

I'm not trying trying to be negative but being positive all the time about everything doesn't help either. If there's something that should be changed then it should be changed.

He ignores everyone that has a different opinion. He is an... Sorry, don't want to be unlovely. We don't like unlovely here.