Forest Detritus

Kajin

Wherever you have a bunch of trees, you have various bits of detritus. Leaves. Twigs. Branches. Old logs. The decaying remains of trees long since felled by natural causes. Basically speaking, if you go to a forest you should be able to search the surrounding area and turn up all sorts of useful things on the ground that routinely pile up so long as those trees remain.

The main reason I suggest this though is that it seems a bit much to absolutely require logs from a felled tree if one wants to make or feed a fire. It just feels like an unnecessary step, you know? If I really needed fire, all I should have to do is take a stroll through the woods and I could easily find everything I need to start a fire right at my feet. Leaves for tinder. Twigs to feed it. Big branches and old, partially rotted logs to get it roaring big and bright to cook food, provide warmth or keep it going long through the night.

Maybe make it so that such things are kept track of in the meta game so that all those items only exist when someone is actively looking for them. Maybe by using the right-click contextual menu to have your character search the ground?

Yeah I'm so down for this. You're totally right about being able to find everything you would need in the forest without having to cut anything down. Plus, effective tree lopping requires an axe and you might not have one plus it makes a lot of unnecesary noise and should be avoided. 

+1