Player / NPC - Family or lover ties

Strider

Hey,

As per this forum thread: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7089-does-pz-really-even-need-cars/page-3

Basic Premise

It struck me it'd be good to have family ties that exist at the start of the game. These would drive players/NPC's to go out into town / other towns to find their family. I think these could be fantastic variables for NPC's and player characters who chose not to ignore them.

These could be family, lovers, or, being Kentucky, maybe both? :)

Why

I think it'd be a good variable to make either the player explore or an NPC (who may be integral to the group) leave the group in hope of finding them.

Example

A player spawns in a house in Mul. The family ties section shows he has two relations in Mul. (Mother and cousin) and one in WP (brother).

For every day the player lives without knowing if the mother or brother is dead causes a small debuff like a plus towards sadness. Locating the alive family member will give a massive boost to morale. Finding them dead will give a massive temporary minus to morale/happiness (which could lead to other things) but given time they should recover unless other stimuli tips them over the edge.

If the player ignores the cousin. They might feel sad but this might go away due to the relative closeness of that family member. After all, you're going to naturally care more intensely for the closest members of your family.

Wrapping up my thoughts

This is just an idea. Don't panic, I don't own/fund/mind control the devs so this doesn't mean it *will* be implimented into the game. I'm just making the suggestion.
Additionally, it's not final. I just think it'd be an addition to what I understand the dev's already have in mind for NPC's. Perhaps not family but certainly relationships, if I was paying attention (and I believe I was)

Cheers

Maybe in Survival, it generates random relations to people and in sandbox you can decide who's going to be with you and what relationship you have with them.

Sure. Quite a few of my suggestions have provoked the ire of the PZ community. Containing my idea within the sandbox might allow me to make it out of this thread relatively intact.

There's an old discussion on the subject here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/316-family/

Fair enough. 

What if i hate humans and love my little pussy cat?

You're f*cked then, basically. I would see a cat as a massive liability in such circumstances. What you going to do, let it out every night for you to wake up each morning to 20 Z's on your doorstep? :)

Why let it out at all? ;)

A house cat. Possible. If the cat is happy staying in the house else it's f*cking 'meow' all night long. 

Imho cats aint that stupid and i suppose he we would found out that MEOWMEOW>Zombies>a lot of stress>dont MEOWMEOW else zombies will scare the shit out of you and youll be in danger Mr.Pussy

I like this idea. Maybe instead of it being random for Survival and changeable for Sandbox, what if it can be a part of Character Creation? Choose if your character has a spouse, kids, living parents, etcetera. Then we could have positive/negative traits pertaining to them, like one that makes you get sad faster without knowing your family's fate, and one that slows the effects.

Let me put it this way. There will be no pets in my safehouse! :)

Opens an interesting question. What if an NPC turns up with a pet that you're not able to keep.

Add wild dogs and cats u can tame, procreation between male and female characters, ability to craft a chimney.

We would be able to create a true family in this damned and forsaken world.

Let me put it this way. There will be no pets in my safehouse! :)

Opens an interesting question. What if an NPC turns up with a pet that you're not able to keep.

Add wild dogs and cats u can tame, procreation between male and female characters, ability to craft a chimney.

We would be able to create a true family in this damned and forsaken world.

That you might as well douse in barbecue sauce because of all the noise the pets will make :P

I dislike having the game try making a back story for MY character.

I know its random, and you can choose to ignore this, but seriously? I don't want my character having some people that I don't know be known as a cousin or something.

I hate my family irl as it is I don't want to imagine them in a zombie apocalypse where I could ki-

Actually come to think of it..

I know its random, and you can choose to ignore this, but seriously? I don't want my character having some people that I don't know be known as a cousin or something.

I hate my family irl as it is I don't want to imagine them in a zombie apocalypse where I could ki-

That's sad to hear, but you got a point.

Maybe your history could be part of character creation. Having a family member out there could earn you points, and choosing a higher severity of longing for that person could increase this, but your character may suffer negative feelings if you never made contact with them, and seeing them dead would hit HARD. 

I know that feeling. Hate my mom for what she's done to me.

You got a point though, why not let us choose(or create a character just like we create ours but a NPC who you could have relations with) and have the following options: Wife, Girlfriend, Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, Uncle(pete), Aunt, Cousin... and all those other crappy family relationships i don't know about.

Maybe your history could be part of character creation. Having a family member out there could earn you points, and choosing a higher severity of longing for that person could increase this, but your character may suffer negative feelings if you never made contact with them, and seeing them dead would hit HARD. 

Nooooo!

This is beyond the opposite of a good thing for this game.

Its suppose to be you who appears in this game. I for one don't care when people die, so my character in game isn't going to either. Forcing relationships then making it so negative things happen for trying to avoid this aspect is a really dumb idea.

Or instead, how about we BUILD relationships with NPC we meet. Thats just an idea and i cant right at this moment give my propositions on how would it look like in my opoinion due to lack of time.

But that would actually be cool to form some kind of bond with other survivors.

Silents429 meet NPC:"Make relationship with this!" *Put on the shotgun* *BANG"

Nooooo!

This is beyond the opposite of a good thing for this game.

Its suppose to be you who appears in this game. I for one don't care when people die, so my character in game isn't going to either. Forcing relationships then making it so negative things happen for trying to avoid this aspect is a really dumb idea.

Very good point. I'd rather during character creation we have a "family" tab, where we can add family members if we so choose to, and either create them or just have them randomized. Just a little something to add depth to the character if you want. Or, if you don't care when people die/dislike your family/both, you can just say your character doesn't know or care about what happened to them and just not add family. Then most people are happy with the whole system.