IWBUMS RELEASED - Build 25 v2 - With 3D MODELS!

lemmy101

Looks good! I'm finding that the sound isn't syncing with the actions and progress bar in game. Using an old save though, so I'll try a fresh game and see it it persists.

Edit: Confirmed it was a problem with my saved file. New game syncs mostly correctly, except for the zombie stomping action. Also, broken weapon removes my hair.

Further edit: Seems like sound isn't syncing with all atacks while zacks are on the ground.

My female character lost all hair when I was attacking zombies with butter knife, but the hair came back after I refreshed primary to frying pan. Otherwise seems to work flawless so far.

Lots of weird falling positions by zombies when pushed

http://i.imgur.com/SmfVbbA.jpg

You can confirm it here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-145-downed-zombie-leg-broken/

My female character lost all hair when I was attacking zombies with butter knife, but the hair came back after I refreshed primary to frying pan.

And you can confirm it here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-157-character-loses-hair-model/

Thank you.

Will we be able to toggle 3D models in the future releases? I think they're nice and all but I think they just don't fit with game. To me they just look out of place when placed into the zomboid terrain. I much rather use the 2D Isometric models from pre-build 25

Will we be able to toggle 3D models in the future releases? I think they're nice and all but I think they just don't fit with game. To me they just look out of place when placed into the zomboid terrain. I much rather use the 2D Isometric models from pre-build 25

The option to change to 2D is already in the options menu. I'd guess that it'll also be available in the future.

You can limit the 3d models to the player model.

We're planning on removing all the player sprites, assuming that we have 100% compatibility

I'd rather the 2D sprites for the players though, especially since it's what i'll be focusing the majority of my time looking at. I'm really just not a fan of the 3D animations.

I'd rather the 2D sprites for the players though, especially since it's what i'll be focusing the majority of my time looking at. I'm really just not a fan of the 3D animations.

Even though they're the exact same animations, just with more frames?

I wasn´t a fan at the beginning, but give it a little time and you will probably adapt to it. The thing with the 3D-sprites: It´s way more easier for the devs to get new animations in and the hit on your ram should be reduced by it (less sprite-sheets to load).

At least that´s how I understand it.

2D sprites are holding us back massively as well as consuming over 500 meg of video memory. If we try and retain them for the sake of a small minority who don't like how they look then it'll drag the game down for everyone who wants to have say a ton of sneak animations, extra combat swings, and a whole ton of other stuff that'll make the game a ton better to play and would probably drive the memory requirements up another half a gig by the end.

Beside, we're planning to slowly migrate to a 3D map over time too, so I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. We had the exact same thing in the switch from 2D hand drawn sprites to 3D rendered sprites, I just find it odd you'd have issue with them considering they are absolutely identical models, both rendered 3D from the exact same 3D model and textures, the only difference being in the old system they were rendered into sprites outside the game, and now they are rendered into sprites inside the game. We could look into some kind of blending options so you can turn off the smoothness and emulate the flicking between sprites, or to remove the dynamic lighting, to better emulate how it used to look, but why you'd want to do this baffles me slightly. :D

2D zombie option is only remaining because of performance reasons, if we could get rid of them too we would, but they are a lot less costly in memory than the player characters cause they have much fewer anims.

I like the "ability to turn of dynamic lighting" option. Still freaks me out, a little, seeing the geometry light up. :mrgreen:

Harakka suggested that it might be shaders aren't applied to the 3D models that cause the disparity between 3D and old, though. 'Less I misunderstood him.

Plus think of wounded animations and idle animations, each idle animation would need a whole set of sprites for each clothing type and each angle. Each and every added animation would increase an already debilitating overhead. Also think of the limitation that would put on future clothing mods and such.

I too did not like the look at first, it is growing on me.

I like the "ability to turn of dynamic lighting" option. Still freaks me out, a little, seeing the geometry light up. :mrgreen:

Harakka suggested that it might be shaders aren't applied to the 3D models that cause the disparity between 3D and old, though. 'Less I misunderstood him.

Nah the shader code in the game is pretty much identically the shader code used in the exporter binky wrote. 

Seems like dying isn't producing a dead body right now. I died and my friend said I had no body I just stood there then disappeared.

Curious why no one is addressing this issue yet? Dieing from zombification, starvation, etc. still produces no dead body and is a real annoyance if playing with friends.

Nice, just tested out this build and the zombies look great. However you guys eventually need to fix the texture poking with the animations. This was addressed in the blog and said it was "miniscule", however on the female model it seems you guys didn't take into account the animations and the entire side of the stomach pokes out during pretty much any animation/clothing. Oddly enough though, this seems only to be true with female playable characters but not the zombies.Noticed a few other bugs with clothing in this build but guessing they are arising due to the change of graphics.

Thanks for the bug reports Golden- if you wanna add them in the bug tracker (or mark confirmed, as I know several are already there) it'll help us keep track of them and remind us to take care of them. Thanks again!

2D sprites are holding us back massively as well as consuming over 500 meg of video memory. If we try and retain them for the sake of a small minority who don't like how they look then it'll drag the game down for everyone who wants to have say a ton of sneak animations, extra combat swings, and a whole ton of other stuff that'll make the game a ton better to play and would probably drive the memory requirements up another half a gig by the end.

Beside, we're planning to slowly migrate to a 3D map over time too, so I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. We had the exact same thing in the switch from 2D hand drawn sprites to 3D rendered sprites, I just find it odd you'd have issue with them considering they are absolutely identical models, both rendered 3D from the exact same 3D model and textures, the only difference being in the old system they were rendered into sprites outside the game, and now they are rendered into sprites inside the game. We could look into some kind of blending options so you can turn off the smoothness and emulate the flicking between sprites, or to remove the dynamic lighting, to better emulate how it used to look, but why you'd want to do this baffles me slightly. :D

2D zombie option is only remaining because of performance reasons, if we could get rid of them too we would, but they are a lot less costly in memory than the player characters cause they have much fewer anims.

3D map?

Alright that is a new one.

How is the 3D map going to work?  (No i am not thinking about a FPS view or third person view)

Like the models inside the map are going to be on 3D? lets say the fridge? Or what is the 3D map?