IWBUMS RELEASED - Build 25 v2 - With 3D MODELS!

lemmy101

Will we be able to toggle 3D models in the future releases? I think they're nice and all but I think they just don't fit with game. To me they just look out of place when placed into the zomboid terrain. I much rather use the 2D Isometric models from pre-build 25

You can limit the 3d models to the player model.

-- snip --

3D map?

Alright that is a new one.

How is the 3D map going to work?  (No i am not thinking about a FPS view or third person view)

Like the models inside the map are going to be on 3D? lets say the fridge? Or what is the 3D map?

Not really a new thing Blasted_Taco. They are talking about this for a while now as you can read here and here for example.

Will we be able to toggle 3D models in the future releases? I think they're nice and all but I think they just don't fit with game. To me they just look out of place when placed into the zomboid terrain. I much rather use the 2D Isometric models from pre-build 25

You can limit the 3d models to the player model.

I'd rather the 2D sprites for the players though, especially since it's what i'll be focusing the majority of my time looking at. I'm really just not a fan of the 3D animations.

2D sprites are holding us back massively as well as consuming over 500 meg of video memory. If we try and retain them for the sake of a small minority who don't like how they look then it'll drag the game down for everyone who wants to have say a ton of sneak animations, extra combat swings, and a whole ton of other stuff that'll make the game a ton better to play and would probably drive the memory requirements up another half a gig by the end.

Beside, we're planning to slowly migrate to a 3D map over time too, so I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it. We had the exact same thing in the switch from 2D hand drawn sprites to 3D rendered sprites, I just find it odd you'd have issue with them considering they are absolutely identical models, both rendered 3D from the exact same 3D model and textures, the only difference being in the old system they were rendered into sprites outside the game, and now they are rendered into sprites inside the game. We could look into some kind of blending options so you can turn off the smoothness and emulate the flicking between sprites, or to remove the dynamic lighting, to better emulate how it used to look, but why you'd want to do this baffles me slightly. :D

2D zombie option is only remaining because of performance reasons, if we could get rid of them too we would, but they are a lot less costly in memory than the player characters cause they have much fewer anims.

3D map?

Alright that is a new one.

How is the 3D map going to work?  (No i am not thinking about a FPS view or third person view)

Like the models inside the map are going to be on 3D? lets say the fridge? Or what is the 3D map?

It's not really a new one :P quite the opposite. It's an old one that got sidetracked in recent months and rendered (no pun intended) lower priority due to EasyPickin's awesome optimizations.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/12/for-the-sake-of-an-unbroken-chain-of-mondoids/

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/09/iso-revolution/

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/09/lighten-up/

The 3D map would be using 3D walls and floors instead of isometric, but would still have isometric tiles (say for more detailed stuff like sofas etc) would remain isometric tiles as billboard polys (since there's a crap ton of them) so the viewport would remain fixed as it is now. And we would slowly start migrating more and more parts of the map to 3D, converting more tiles into 3D objects, until the whole thing was 3D. At which point it would be feasible to consider adding a rotate camera feature. This is a long long term plan but as I say, it's on the roadmap.

no more need for compatibility mode! :razz:  everythings smooth, though i wonder why zoom doesnt work, it is activated! anyway really nice work, have a clyde (clyde)

AFAIK there is still a comp-mode, but the game detects if it needs to start it. So your game still start with comp enabled and there you can´t zoom.

no more need for compatibility mode! :razz: everythings smooth, though i wonder why zoom doesnt work, it is activated! anyway really nice work, have a clyde (clyde)

Try to disable then re-enable, that got it to work for me in the last build.

How to ? :3

I'm not even sure I need it ! When I changed to compatibility mod it was for a connection related issue, which appeared to be totally unrelated to compatibility mod, I don't know if it stayed on compatibility mod since then. But I can't seem to be able to zoom so I guess it did.

How can we disable and re-enable like said above tho ?

Sorry for double post.

This bug http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-152-server-crash-with-build-25-v2/
is pretty annoying, our server keep crashing over and over. I don't know if it's someone aware of the bug having fun crashing it, or someone who's unaware and tries to keep connecting with the same nickname.

Either way we have no way to prevent it :(

Edit : Well we actually have a way to prevent it, we could make it a whitelist server until the issue is fixed.

My two cents. I think the 3D model looks great. A little odd at first but you get used to it. Play with it

for a couple of hours and then switch back again, and I'm sure the old sprite will feel funny instead.

If you want to go 3D all the way that's fine. I can only see benefits in the long run. Are you guys even

thinking real physics, or is that a big no no?

The last couple of updates have really lifted my spirit. I'm starting to build up some hype again. If

you can pull of the meta-stuff and the NPC-thing soon you will have a solid foundation to stand on.

After rain comes the sun. Good job. And thanks.

Well we actually have a way to prevent it, we could make it a whitelist server until the issue is fixed.

This is the correct solution. Running wide open servers isn't highly recommended currently for a reason.

Yep, the owner Eliakoh actually found a judicious solution ! He's using a steam API to make a compromise, anyone can whitelist but you have to bound your steam account. Read more there, he explains in the OP :

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5746-247pvpfrbuild25-first-pzmindescapeeu-open-whitelist/

Might even prevent griefing.

hi guys. first let me tell you this game is fuckin awesome, really.

Well, let`s go to the point. In this last version, when i start a new game everything seems to be ok until i get to te "this is how you die" screen. After a while i can hear the music, i can hear my character walking, i can hear the wind blowing, etc. I think i could be the new 3D models, but i could be wrong.

Anyway, when i open the console i get this message repeated continuously: 

mar 23, 2014 11:07:50 PM zombie.iso.sprite.IsoSprite render
SEVERE: null
java.lang.NullPointerException

at zombie.core.skinnedmodel.ModelManager$ModelSlot.Start(ModelManager.ja
va:406)
        at zombie.core.skinnedmodel.ModelManager.DoRender(ModelManager.java:106)

at zombie.core.textures.TextureDraw.run(TextureDraw.java:308)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer$StateRun.render(SpriteRenderer.
java:554)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.render(SpriteRenderer.java:512)

at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.add(SpriteRenderer.java:224)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.build(SpriteRenderer.java:970)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.postRender(SpriteRenderer.java:1002)
        at zombie.core.opengl.RenderThread$1.run(RenderThread.java:101)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

can anyone help?
Thanks!

hi guys. first let me tell you this game is fuckin awesome, really.

Well, let`s go to the point. In this last version, when i start a new game everything seems to be ok until i get to te "this is how you die" screen. After a while i can hear the music, i can hear my character walking, i can hear the wind blowing, etc. I think i could be the new 3D models, but i could be wrong.

Anyway, when i open the console i get this message repeated continuously: 

mar 23, 2014 11:07:50 PM zombie.iso.sprite.IsoSprite render
SEVERE: null

at zombie.core.skinnedmodel.ModelManager$ModelSlot.Start(ModelManager.ja
va:406)
        at zombie.core.skinnedmodel.ModelManager.DoRender(ModelManager.java:106)

at zombie.core.textures.TextureDraw.run(TextureDraw.java:308)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer$StateRun.render(SpriteRenderer.
java:554)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.render(SpriteRenderer.java:512)

at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.add(SpriteRenderer.java:224)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.build(SpriteRenderer.java:970)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.postRender(SpriteRenderer.java:1002)
        at zombie.core.opengl.RenderThread$1.run(RenderThread.java:101)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

can anyone help?
Thanks!

This error seems to be caused by offscreen textures not working on your computer.  It's the same reason zoom is disabled for some people.  Assuming you are on Windows, could you extract this ZIP file into the ProjectZomboid directory, and try running the game by double-clicking ARB_FBO.bat?  This is a test to see if using newer OpenGL calls helps anything.

ARB_FBO.zip

So. Got the build. Started a survival (This is after completely reinstalling the game)

And well. Crashes.

Basically the loading screen literally takes 3x longer then it used too, and when the game starts it shows the game and the whole game shuts down on itself, with no error given. Would someone inform me where the error log is or whatever, so I may help resolve this ;-;