zombie - insane popultion

Foxtrot

So, I have been playing the crap out of some zomboid.  I have learned enough tricks to deal with the survival mode, and until the npc's are released the game has required me to challenge myself in sandbox.

So I jacked up the zombie population to insane.  It definitely ups the scale in challenge and I feel more like I am in trench warfare.  Give a little ground, gain a little ground. NEVER EVER use a gun unless I have a epic f'load of bullets.  I have yet to live long enough to find a shotgun... but man that is gonna be fun.

Any of you cats have good tips for this level of density?

Find an isolated spot (like the north farm) use it to hit up McCoy. I've lasted a month and i have 500 rounds for the sawn off in my backpack. Unfortunately I'm having issues with build 25 for farming so I'm stuck until an update.

From my experience the North Farm is usually clear of zeds (though in insane population it may differ). It makes a great base camp, lots of open area for farming, uninterrupted view of the surrounding area to watch for zombies, plus it's within reasonable range of the large warehouse, and far enough away from the urban center to avoid random hordes migrating through for the most part.

I once spawned inside the motel in WP, headed for the house above hardware store. After doing a small bit of clearing behind the building and at the front road i didnt have any issues with zombies. Was actually safer than anywhere else i was.

Make Your way to the store, You will basically have everything You need and zombies also wont be much problem considering how easy it is to make them derp around, getting stuck on walls and such due to poor pathfinding inside heavily urbanised area.

Be safe inside the den of evil.

Also I set their smell to "Bloodhound" so they swarm into you more often, makes it more tense. To balance it I made them only Shamblers though, so no running, and gave them Basic Navigation. Probably the best settings in my opinion as then they feel more like the Romero style zombies. Large populations, dumb zombies but they can smell you from ages away and swarm at you if they get close.

That does sound like nice settings, gonna try those out, thanks!

For the insane number of zombies, well my best advice: get out of the city and dont come back to it

Also I set their smell to "Bloodhound" so they swarm into you more often, makes it more tense. To balance it I made them only Shamblers though, so no running, and gave them Basic Navigation. Probably the best settings in my opinion as then they feel more like the Romero style zombies. Large populations, dumb zombies but they can smell you from ages away and swarm at you if they get close.

For the insane number of zombies, well my best advice: get out of the city and dont come back to it

Once You find an axe, you cant care less about zombies.

Being able to take on 15 zombies at once without much trouble due to insane damage and aoe axe has makes this game really easy, id wish there was something to make zombies more difficult, without turning on sprinters as this setting feels crap.

Being able to take on 15 zombies at once without much trouble due to insane damage and aoe axe has makes this game really easy, id wish there was something to make zombies more difficult, without turning on sprinters as this setting feels crap.

I wouldn't fight 15 zombies with an axe :o I mean 4 or 5 can even get outta hand if they have stamina... with a shotgun you can mow through hundreds but that's a double edged sword; you only have so many shells and you almost always attract as many as you kill.

Put the loot on rare... you will be hard pressed to find an axe.  Try insane with a kitchen knife and a pen as your backup weapon.

I wouldn't fight 15 zombies with an axe :o I mean 4 or 5 can even get outta hand if they have stamina... with a shotgun you can mow through hundreds but that's a double edged sword; you only have so many shells and you almost always attract as many as you kill.

I never played with sandbox myself, but you can change toughness for them, which should make things more interesting ;-)

After 3-4 games of 1-2 days living, I finally got some traction.

Well, I survived 16 days, killed 1116 zombies.  I learned to take on hordes with a ax or baseball bat, 15-20 at a time.  What got me was I dropped a lone zombie to the ground, in instantly turned into a crawler and lunged, bite to the right shin.  I learned to take vitamins and beta blockers by the hand-full.

So much fun!  Though I do wish the crawlers would not "activate" until you move away from them and back into their zone.  Not realistic, but more 'fair' in a game mechanic aspect.  Or does someone have a work around this?

After 3-4 games of 1-2 days living, I finally got some traction.

Well, I survived 16 days, killed 1116 zombies.  I learned to take on hordes with a ax or baseball bat, 15-20 at a time.  What got me was I dropped a lone zombie to the ground, in instantly turned into a crawler and lunged, bite to the right shin.  I learned to take vitamins and beta blockers by the hand-full.

So much fun!  Though I do wish the crawlers would not "activate" until you move away from them and back into their zone.  Not realistic, but more 'fair' in a game mechanic aspect.  Or does someone have a work around this?

I always handle crawlers by approaching from the feet side if they are on their stomach or approaching their head if they are on their backs.  It's the best way to kill them in one good splat, but on insane, you might not have the chance to move around to their best killing angle, so I would just back away altogether.  Especially if you are doing some herding while taking on multiple zeds.

Deadman, I agree if you see them on the ground.  But this one turned from a walker to a crawler due to damage.  I hit it, it hit the ground and then lunged instantly.  Unless I am doing something wrong that I can not figure out... it felt.. cheap.

Random unfair game mechanic deaths are a big deal in a roguelike style game.

I am sure indie stone will figure it all out.  I am still going to play on insane population.  Its an addiction now.

Deadman, I agree if you see them on the ground.  But this one turned from a walker to a crawler due to damage.  I hit it, it hit the ground and then lunged instantly.  Unless I am doing something wrong that I can not figure out... it felt.. cheap.

I had this happen to me, except the walker turned crawler was on the other side of a chain link fence (the one you can climb over, not the tall one) when it bit me.  That is cheap.

I am sure indie stone will figure it all out.  I am still going to play on insane population.  Its an addiction now.

Hmm i wouldn't consider that unfair. Crawlers do have a pretty fast lung but it's avoidable. Also it really comes down to awarness, i always make sure that crawlers are dead and if i'm not sure then i just wont' walk by them. Also if you killed 1116 zombies in 16 days I hardly think they should be made weaker. Way i look at it, you knocked a zombie down and failed to double tap it, that always gets people killed xD.

I just set it to high when B25v2 hit. Spawned in the stupid WP construction site office, so I had to run for a long time until I was able to finally come to the warehouse. The outdoor trailer had enough gear to enable me to gain access to the building, and I found enough food and drink in the vending machines to eek out a survival.

Build 25 really changed things up in terms of zombie activity. Despite clearing the warehouse proximity 3-4 times, it was all for naught, as ever increasing streams of zombies continued coming to rest in the area. So, I ate up all the perishables I'd collected, packed a couple bags, and hit the road.

Frustratingly, never found a shotty or a sledge.

wuh woh.

So, I have been playing the crap out of some zomboid.  I have learned enough tricks to deal with the survival mode, and until the npc's are released the game has required me to challenge myself in sandbox.

So I jacked up the zombie population to insane.  It definitely ups the scale in challenge and I feel more like I am in trench warfare.  Give a little ground, gain a little ground. NEVER EVER use a gun unless I have a epic f'load of bullets.  I have yet to live long enough to find a shotgun... but man that is gonna be fun.

Any of you cats have good tips for this level of density?

True, I have had a couple turn into crawlers and lunge, just bad luck on that.  Luckily I haven't been killed from one.  I play insane all the time, but I only survive for days, most times for hours before a swarm gets me and I get trapped. 

Stay away from the trees, they pop out all the freaking time.  Stay with a quiet weapon, the noise of gun fire on insane means death. Get that Sneak, Nimble and Sprinting up fast. Carry a back up weapon all the time. And remember there's always, ALWAYS a zombie behind you.