Animal Scraps

Kajin

Dunno what the hunting system will entail when it's finally implemented, but I think it'd be a good idea to have butchered animals leave behind various remains. Say you get three kinds of byproduct from butchering an animal: Cuts of Meat, Organs, and Animal Scraps.

You got the good cuts of meat. The kind of stuff that makes your mouth water. High in protein and fat and it just tastes so good who wouldn't want a piece of it? These are the prime cuts of meat that raise happiness whenever you cook and eat them.

Then you got the organs. Not something most people would really WANT to it. I sure don't want to eat the stomach or the intestines or the bladder. I mean, I would if I was starving but only then. Eat them if you've got no other choice. Maybe lower happiness or provide no happiness benefits. Good to feed to dogs if you have them, though. Put them all in a big pot with the bones, sinew and cartilage, boil them for a bit to kill any parasites so you don't make your dogs sick. Now your trusty canine has a stew worthy of their furry little loyalty to you.

Then after that you got whatever scraps are left. Stuff like the bones and the cartilage and fur and feathers. Different animals could have different kinds of scraps and produce them at different times. Like if you butchered a deer you might get the bones right then and there but when you butcher the chicken you'll just roast the whole bird on a spit and only get the bones after it has been eaten. Different scraps could also have different uses. You kill a bunch of ducks? Their feathers make excellent pillow stuffing. You just finished roasting a chicken on a spit and eat all the good meat? Give the bones and cartilage to the dogs or leave them in a pile and use them as bait for any bears that might come looking for a snack (tasty tasty bears).

don't give chicken bones to dogs, it's not healthy to them :P

Tell me about it, going to parks where i live. Chicken bones everywhere and my Pug goes out to get them while i attempt to stop good ole' Pogo from choking to death and popping his eyes out.

Tell me about it, going to parks where i live. Chicken bones everywhere and my Pug goes out to get them while i attempt to stop good ole' Pogo from choking to death and popping his eyes out.

Really? I've fed every single dog I've ever had chicken bones and I've never had a single problem.

Really? I've fed every single dog I've ever had chicken bones and I've never had a single problem.

Pogo's got some swallowing problems, and once he almost choked on a large piece of beef and lt looked like his eyes were about to pop out, i also keep my cat Boo away from him the fact that he thinks he owns the house and i don't want him to scratch those adorable eyes of his.

>Then you got the organs. Not something most people would really WANT to it. I sure don't want to eat the stomach or the intestines or the bladder. I mean, I would if I was starving but only then

How about you separate the slaughtered animals into 4 parts that are all present on the corpse or spawn in the floor after the animal is butchered:

-Bones

-Skin/Feathers

-Organs

-Meat

With bones you can make arrow heads, bone meal (fertilizer), and dye

With Skin you make coats, leather straps for crafting, items for building a wooden bed with feathers and a animal fur carpet (for winters)

With organs you can make sausages (cooking) and the string for a bow (for hunting more animals)

With meat, well, you eat it.

Of course this would be all very late game. And for the kind of character that goes innawood and converts into a bearded survivalist wearing bear fur 'The Edge' style. The kind of character you would know not to fuck with as soon as you see him.

I put in the third category as a catch all for everything that wasn't either prime cuts of meat or the various organs. Bones, skin, fur, feathers, all of that can just go into the third category. But yeah, being able to process everything from an animal once you've gotten good enough at certain crafting skills would be awesome. I'd love to be able to crack apart bones and use them as tips for spears or arrows.

Organs of animals can be cleaned with a water source and prepared if cooking skills are involved. Used mostly for stewing and making soup.

In terms of early and mid game complexity on carving up animals, the best one could do is cutting and cleaning the carcass into a more cleaner and edible form to cook with.

Like skinning the carcass, then deboning it to get the flesh.

These takes lots of time and you don't want to take too long with a fresh carcass as it can then rot. It's best to have a icebox to contain the carcass and any pieces meat you carve up.

A fish is the easiest form of animal byproduct to maintain, and its very easy to get, though it requires patience, and the knowledge to fish them.

You can skin fish, debone them, and then get Boneless Fish.

Skin, scale, and bone of fish can't be used though so those are thrown away.