Door Mechanics/Animations

Seustace89

I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to see the doors of PZ take advantage of the new 3D engine coming in. My suggestions:

- DOORS SWINGING if it's a windy day, would look cool and could possibly creek if it's an old door or on a shed and possibly opening the front and back door chance of wind rushing through house/building causing one of the doors to slam loudly.

- PEEK Mechanic where you can open door slightly to see if there's any Zombies behind door, but could cause zombies to rush the door and push you back. Possibly even drill and carve a hole into door to prevent rushing...

- PICKING locks (I know it's already been mentioned, but...) could be done by using a 'bump key'. Very easy and effective method of breaking into houses with old locks and keys can be easily crafted with a filer and any key that can slot into lock but can't turn. the skill can determine speed, sound and quality of the bump key.

- DIVERSION mechanics where you could open door on building and attach fish wire or whatever to which you can slam door from distance providing an opportunity to sneak past to objective. Or an object like a bucket or glass on top of half opened door that would crash into ground causing either a diversion or a poor mans intruder alarm to your safe house.

- (Edit) BARGING through the door animation could cause injury but may need to do it desperate situations.

- (Credit to Etsamaru) KNOCK ON DOOR where you can attract zombies to that specific location. Useful to attract zombies in a building to draw them out... Or lead zombies to certain area of building and you sneak around to a window or other door to escape.

Just some ideas I'd thought be cool... Let me know what you think.

TIS keep up the good work, games amazing.

I was thinking of this a while ago but no way I could have explained it better. It was annoying for me seeing the doors just "jump" to being opened/closed. Which is something they said has also changed for the models so it should be possible with doors and windows as well as cars. It should be possible(?)

Some door has little peep holes to look through, most houses would have this on their front door entrances and you can use that to peer outside without being seen.

Using a screw driver to make a tiny hole to view through walls and such can work.

Also make barricaded windows block some visibility but if you are close up to the barricades you can 'peek' through it,meaning you can see through it when you press on the barricade, but zombies can see you if they are too close when you are peering through it (either through smell or breathing sounds).

More barricades on a window means more visibility is covered up, which reduces you from being seen while peering out.

Even though i like the idea. Does anyone really know how far the Devs want to push the Iso-Evolution?

As far as i have read most parts of the Game still stay 2D (don't know why)

Don't know if this applies to doors though.

As far as I understand they have a huge option door opened (no pun intended lol) to them. I'm not too sure how far it will go I.e. Landscape height, ditches, etc. but for the zombies, NPCs, animals and the actual player they can now make a huge array of animations and mechanics with them I.e. If your player breaks a leg... You will see a broken leg and your going to struggle to get around. However even saying that they will remain with the ISO look as they want to keep it like that. Having inspiration from the original xcom that type of look and feeling in a game is what the Devs want for their own... And too right as xcom enemy unknown/defence is 2nd only ever to PZ. ;-)

For the doors I can only imagine making a rectangle block that uses the same animation software (As well some tlc in details) as the characters wouldn't take an awful amount of time and it would suit the game perfectly... Something that's worth doing they'll work out a way doing it because their awesome like that!

We should have an option to "KNOCK ON DOORS" That would attract zombies inside to the door, then you could wait a bit then sneak around to a window or the back door, or just see if zombies are inside. 

If you like this feel free to add it to your OP.

Awesome idea didn't even think of that... I even saw it on walking dead the other day as well lol.

Also added with the credits to yourself, Thank you. :-)

What about a 3d model for character and a 3d model for a door, and a character would attempt to 'break' into the door by ramming it, sorta like the 'opening window' animation you try.

You can hold E on a door to 'jiggle' and push/pull the door to get it to open, and see if it unlocks.

So instead of the door instantly opening, you see the character 'animating' with the door.

Then if there's zombies on the otherside, the animation to open the door can make you a bit vulnerable.

To break into a door in one of the many possible ways:

Right click the door and choose 'Kick down' and it'll judge the strength level of your character and the strength level of the door and lock.

If it's a simple interior room door, it'll be kicked open on the first try.

Kicking a door open may knockback or knockdown things on the other side of it as it swings open, but it does not work well if there are multiple zombies pressing on it on the other side.

You can use a crowbar to 'break into' doors and windows and it'll use a custom 3d animation that's flatten into a isometric environment, of your character trying to pry the window open in that case.

You can use a screwdriver to open doors and windows btw, but it may use up a some durability in that case.

As to ramming a door, that's only usable if you are in a rush to escape and the door is unlocked. By sprinting towards a unlocked door you automatically open it but make a loud noise.

Ramming a door has more strength than kicking it open, hence it'll immediately knock down a few zombies behind it.

I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to see the doors of PZ take advantage of the new 3D engine coming in. My suggestions:

- DOORS SWINGING if it's a windy day, would look cool and could possibly creek if it's an old door or on a shed and possibly opening the front and back door chance of wind rushing through house/building causing one of the doors to slam loudly.

- PEEK Mechanic where you can open door slightly to see if there's any Zombies behind door, but could cause zombies to rush the door and push you back. Possibly even drill and carve a hole into door to prevent rushing...

- PICKING locks (I know it's already been mentioned, but...) could be done by using a 'bump key'. Very easy and effective method of breaking into houses with old locks and keys can be easily crafted with a filer and any key that can slot into lock but can't turn. the skill can determine speed, sound and quality of the bump key.

- DIVERSION mechanics where you could open door on building and attach fish wire or whatever to which you can slam door from distance providing an opportunity to sneak past to objective. Or an object like a bucket or glass on top of half opened door that would crash into ground causing either a diversion or a poor mans intruder alarm to your safe house.

- (Edit) BARGING through the door animation could cause injury but may need to do it desperate situations.

- (Credit to Etsamaru) KNOCK ON DOOR where you can attract zombies to that specific location. Useful to attract zombies in a building to draw them out... Or lead zombies to certain area of building and you sneak around to a window or other door to escape.

Excellent ideas. I think this would add a perfect dose of immersion and make clearing buildings all the more fun and interesting. Good thoughts, now to see if the devs will do anything with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent ideas. I think this would add a perfect dose of immersion and make clearing buildings all the more fun and interesting. Good thoughts, now to see if the devs will do anything with it.

Thanks, I feel that kind of immersion too! Hopefully if the Devs catch this when their flicking through then perhaps so! Suppose we just have to keep highlighting thus on the front page of the suggestions.

Hmm, so after toying with the BuildingEd there are doortypes, that I'm missing:

1. Slide doors: If they're automatic and electricity is on: normal easy opened like any other doors. If electricity is off: Open like windows with pure power (maybe at least longer).

2. Double Doors: better looking than placing two normal doors.

3. Revolving Doors: If they're automatic and electricity is on: normal easy walkthrough. If electricity is off: pushanimation with pure power (duration like windows opening, maybe longer).

4. Dog Door: If you feel yourself slim enough and don't want destroy the door ;) <-ironic

• 3 months later...

Double Doors would be handy for warehouses and industrial areas, where they usually have to move large containers and stuff through them.

Garage Doors should animate too! Maybe a animation where you can try to 'lift' up a garage door if it's unlocked.

I agree. All those garage and storage rolltop doors are just beggin to be opened. This is on my top ten list of desired features.

The devs need to see these ideas, definitely would add a ton of depth to the game, I mean, in a real zombie apocalypse, who would be walking around slamming doors open and shut without a shed of caution?

They would be a vital obstacle that can save your life (or doom it, if locked) and I think they should have a bit more depth.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...