So... Upcoming 3D PZ?

Sergeantbm

From what the devs were saying about it, it seems like it's suppose to be better optimized than the current 2D graphics. People said that the 3D was included in Build 25 at first then changed it back to 2D for some reason. I did notice that the game ran alot smoother and my laptop didn't work as hard.

I just want the game to be optimized. In it's current 2D state it's using up so much memory and overheating my laptop. I could cook cookie dough if I set it underneath.

Aye, as the others have said it should actually reduce the amount of strain on your computer by a fair bit; modern graphics cards are actually quite inefficient at rendering in 2D when compared to 3D in the same scope. In a realistic sense, things will still be rendered only on one side and there will still only be one side to any texture (except for characters). It's basically doing the exact same thing it currently is, but in a more efficient way.

If you're interested in the more technical details, there's:

The short announcement version here and the longer, technical post by Lemmy101 here!

Aye, as the others have said it should actually reduce the amount of strain on your computer by a fair bit; modern graphics cards are actually quite inefficient at rendering in 2D when compared to 3D in the same scope. In a realistic sense, things will still be rendered only on one side and there will still only be one side to any texture (except for characters). It's basically doing the exact same thing it currently is, but in a more efficient way.

The short announcement version here and the longer, technical post by Lemmy101 here!

What about not so modern cards like mine Quadro FX 3500, what can i expect? FPS boots, being unable to play, my pc going boom?

What about not so modern cards like mine Quadro FX 3500, what can i expect? FPS boots, being unable to play, my pc going boom?

Really any graphics card from the last 10 years is going to do better with 3D than 2D in all likelihood. But as Lemmy says, this isn't quite as urgent since 99% of players are now seeing awesome performance.

What about 3D terrain/world, though? It's one of my top 3 desires, along with NPCs and nothing.

Heightmaps are a possibility for the future. The camera will not shift any time soon, as the furniture and various other items are still 2d sprites. Maaayyybe in the far future. Not any time soon, so nothing you should hold your breath for.

From the video we saw of it, it looked like there was a greater range of movement as well as the character graphics plain old looking better.... kinda like a hybrid between oldschool isometric (Fallout 2, Arcanum:OS&MO) & newer fixed camera 3D games. Kinda why I've been hanging out for it. Spose I can wait though..... (sigh) :P

PZ with ROAM graphics ... dribble 

Oooo kinda lost track of that game. need to check how it's coming along.

Looks really nice, with a lot of the features being added in latest videos. Not sure if I'll like the UI changes - would have to work with them, but there are some really nice objects and it starts to look like a PZ on drugs from visual perspective. They will be separate gameplays that's for sure, but I do hope visuals in PZ will end up on similar level at one stage with full 3D characters and world (don't really care about camera movement) dynamic lightning and other weather visuals.

... or maybe have graphic part in one dll that could be replaced with some "mod" to support improved graphics.

I didn't even know about this but know I'm excited. I can't wait to see 3D graphics from an isometric perspective while slowly dying of starvation and fear!

Dont expect too much, its 3D while still keeping the "sprite-esc" style :P

Personally I hope we don't get Roam graphics, PZ would loose some of its personality

EDIT:

Its says something about how long its been since I've played a full game when the music in video's like this seem unfamilliar :huh:

I didn't even know about this but know I'm excited. I can't wait to see 3D graphics from an isometric perspective while slowly dying of starvation and fear!

Personally I hope we don't get Roam graphics, PZ would loose some of its personality

EDIT:

Its says something about how long its been since I've played a full game when the music in video's like this seem unfamilliar :huh:

I can see where your coming from but I still feel that it would be a nice addition even though I'd prefer the 3D sprite-esc. I could be wrong though as I don't have a side to side comparison but I feel that the devs know what their doing and we can only be excited for the future.

EDIT:

That's true PZ has it's charm as is with this sprite look and feel, but 3D I think will solve problems with performance and lightning/shadow and give greater number of "different" looking buildings by using multitexturing.

While going for hi-poly might not look the same - but we'll never know if someone won't try it, there is always an option to leave textures low-res to keep the pixelated style of graphics and have everything looking similar to current art.

As described by TIS graphic cards are designed to use 3D tricks in order to optimize performance by not drawing what doesn't have to be drawn. Using polygons and textures it's first step - second one would be correctly drawing 3D objects to show light comming out of windows and pouring out to the backyard.