Ability Suggestion - CPR

doucheasarus

Put down your pitchforks please.

I'm not saying you come in on a guy whose been dead on the floor for five minutes and right click him back to life.

You right click on someone who has died due to gunshots or a fall or something not bite related in the past  90 seconds and you bandage them up and then you click CPR.

For the next minute a green bar is filling over your head. you can only see the dead player and a foot in front of you, leaving you VERY exposed. Once the bar is full the player comes back 60-X% of the time where X=10 for every injury the player had.

Get shot once and bleed out? you have a 50% chance of being revived IF they get to you immediately and don't die in the process.

Get scratched and jump out a second story window to your death? 30%

I feel it is limited enough to not break the game, but promotes people to play as friendly groups.

Because maybe, just once, you can lose a guy with aiming 3 and your friends can get there in time.

According to medical research cpr is vastly overrated as a life saving technique. Only about 8 per cent of patients requiring cpr have a "good outcomr" (i.e. Full recovery). Modern medical dramas and pop culture have vastly blown out of proportion how effective it is... That being said 8 per cent is better than 0 per cent

I would love to see some bad conditions are overcome by help of friends. Medical aid given by a healty person is much better than bandaging yourself when you are half dead. Someone who has "impervious" trait for example could amputate his leg, while someone who doesn't could need another person to amputate his leg to prevent zombification if it's done in 3-4 minutes.

According to medical research cpr is vastly overrated as a life saving technique. Only about 8 per cent of patients requiring cpr have a "good outcomr" (i.e. Full recovery). Modern medical dramas and pop culture have vastly blown out of proportion how effective it is... That being said 8 per cent is better than 0 per cent

Im a former combat medic and EMT. CPR is the only thing you can really do without a defibrillator on hand for a dead guy, and in fact, a defib is only actually useful if the patient is in V-Fib. While CPR is overblown I would really like to see some citation on 8% of patients receiving CPR make a full recovery.

Well even so. 8% is quite a chance in my opinion, as you said. And I wouldn't call it overrated as it saved for example my dad's life when he had a stroke... Even if he wouldn't have fallen into that 8% it would have been better to try than not at all. I don't mean to be aggressive or anything, but even if it's a fact that "only" 8% survive it should never be considered overrated. [/rant]

As a game mechanic if you play 100 games which isn't that much, you might have one saved character which would be a cool thing to have imo.

I like the idea and even the effectiveness example you made. Though it was statet that IRL "only 8%" make it....I like your example better. At the end of the line it's still a game with zombies, so maybe the 8% could get streched a little for Dramatic and fun purpose

An interesting twist would be risk. If the player recieving the CPR was, say, bit - and carrying the Zombie Disease - that could go very badly for the person blowing into their lungs and potentially coming in contact with spit or blood. Heck, they could be carrying any disease - all of which could negatively affect the rescuer.

That could make the would-be rescuer have to really consider if they want to step up and recussitate or if they'd want to see if the other player can just walk it off. That would make stepping up a bit more heroic, yes?

However, the implementation of one of those little squeeze bag + facemask things you see in paramedic vehicles or hospitals might allow disease-free means. But one would have to be lucky to find them and know what they're for. (Medical Skill?)

i would love to see a medical skill in general that affected bandaging...and a deeper medical system period with more detailed wounds that require cleaning, stictching if bad enough, and also things like splints for broken bones. Common infections and other ailments that could require antibiotics or other medicine would be nice too...the world is missing a lot by not having a fleshed out medical system...and it saddens me to walk past Cortman Medical and know that despite being a very important place...it has no real use yet!

That said i assume a better medical system will come in time.

I like the idea and even the effectiveness example you made. Though it was statet that IRL "only 8%" make it....I like your example better. At the end of the line it's still a game with zombies, so maybe the 8% could get streched a little for Dramatic and fun purpose

Well, we're talking about full recovery here. What about partial ? Reflected in the game as, say losing a random positive trait ? Explainable in most cases (eye hemorrhage = lose Eagle eyed, etc...) and could actually work with the lucky / unlucky mechanic to stretch / narrow down your chances. Maybe like 5-10 % for full recovery and 10-15% for partial ?

Regardless, how would the skill be useful in SP ? Healing up NPCs ?

Going back to MP -  while a comrade may CPR you to safety, any scratches might still prove lethal...

Well, we're talking about full recovery here. What about partial ? Reflected in the game as, say losing a random positive trait ? Explainable in most cases (eye hemorrhage = lose Eagle eyed, etc...) and could actually work with the lucky / unlucky mechanic to stretch / narrow down your chances. Maybe like 5-10 % for full recovery and 10-15% for partial ?

Regardless, how would the skill be useful in SP ? Healing up NPCs ?

Going back to MP -  while a comrade may CPR you to safety, any scratches might still prove lethal...

Or possibly a permanent health loss (Max health now 80). Permanent reduction to sprinting speed, or duration, or both.

Sp it would really only be useful to use on NPCs...or maybe you could find 1 in 100 NPC that knows CPR?

for MP yeah scratches and bites can still infect of course.

An interesting twist would be risk. If the player recieving the CPR was, say, bit - and carrying the Zombie Disease - that could go very badly for the person blowing into their lungs and potentially coming in contact with spit or blood. Heck, they could be carrying any disease - all of which could negatively affect the rescuer.

That could make the would-be rescuer have to really consider if they want to step up and recussitate or if they'd want to see if the other player can just walk it off. That would make stepping up a bit more heroic, yes?

However, the implementation of one of those little squeeze bag + facemask things you see in paramedic vehicles or hospitals might allow disease-free means. But one would have to be lucky to find them and know what they're for. (Medical Skill?)

even if the spit itself wouldn't be contagious, you would still reanimate a future zombie...who would probably eat off your face instantly while you CPR him. you should be able to examine the victim before. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

Yes , as someone stated actually the CPR procedure doesn't really work like that . 

If you got shot and bled out , there are 0% chance you get revived :) 

But anyway i like the approach of getting deeply and "next gen" with health system :)