Axe Life/Sharpening System

Buzzkil88

I think the axe breaks way to fast. In real life, an axe can last many many years. I have one In my garage that was bought in the 80's and still cuts wood just fine. Maybe there could be a sharpening system instead of the axe actually breaking. That is what you normally have to do with an axe, after time its get dull and you sharpen it with a file. A sharpening system would actually be good for most bladed weapons really, swords, knives, etc. then add in a file and sharpening stone

Sometimes you can break an axe handle and have to replace it, crafting one in game could also be implemented. But overall, an axe head will last you a lifetime. (sorry if this is a repeated topic)

Idk which would be better, having a sharpening system or make axe handles break so they have to be crafted. Maybe both?  after so many sharpenings, the handle needs replaced???

Main reason the axe in-game is so fragile (making the current weapon repair system a god-send), is to balance out the supreme awesomeness that is the axe. Provided you've actually charged up a melee attack, rather than panic swinging, the axe downs most zombies with a single hit to the face. Given their relative rarity, and their almost-essential ability to chop down trees and doors quickly, you can see why they're fragile even further. Use as a tool, or a weapon?

I do agree that a more expanded weapon repair system should be implemented though. Blade sharpening, handle crafting, gun cleaning and parts replacement. The problem being, the devs need to balance realism with gameplay to result in an enjoyable experience.

That said, I would like to be able to spend an evening with my character waiting for bedtime to roll around, sharpening their axe after a day of splitting zombie skulls. Splitting the axe into different types (Axe, hatchet, fireaxe with metal/fibreglass handle, etc), might be a way to balance the utility, rarity and relative fragility of such an essential item.

i'd like to see weapon durability in general go up. i cannot imagine how, but i broke a crowbar in game earlier.

i mean seriously, how would i break a crowbar in real life? i go thru bats like crazy, 15-20 zom's per bat.

and repair only does so much for a wooden bat

i'd like to see weapon durability in general go up. i cannot imagine how, but i broke a crowbar in game earlier.

i mean seriously, how would i break a crowbar in real life? i go thru bats like crazy, 15-20 zom's per bat.

and repair only does so much for a wooden bat

I can see your point, but the crowbar is already a tough some-bitch as far as melee weapons go. During the early MP testing I carried the same crowbar across three server restarts, and only managed to get it down to about 90% durability despite all the skulls I was cracking. Pity it weighs so much.